[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My two cents on Steve Smith

PantherDave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This IS the same Steve Smith who was a top WR, right in the thick of the tier of FF WRs below Moss & Holt in 2003, then got hurt in 2004, but bounced back to be the top FF WR by a wide margin last year - while CAR coincidentally was going 11-5 in both 2003 & 2005 while going 7-9 without him in 2004, right?

And he plays for a coach out of the SF system, where a certain all-world WR played and put up gigantic numbers while playing for several well-rounded championship caliber teams, right?

Tell you what, trade Smith to me straight up for any WR in the league right now. I'll do that deal faster than you can blink.

Naw- I think PD is right on the mark with 80-85 & 9-10TD's. You know Carolina is gonna run it a ton, Key will take a few balls from him as well.

BB- I would gladly have Holt,CJ & Fitz over SS.

1) Car is always gonna be run oriented under Fox, and

2) SS starting off with a hammy problem isn't good.

SS is still a stud- but not the overall #1 WR

First Time Long Time and all that...

I was offered a trade for Smith Wednesday Morning, before the news hit. I had Holt (who I also have in another league) and I like to spread my investments around, so I took it. I had Smith last year and he was great.

Well, boy am I sorry now. Luckily I have a strong team (and WR corps) around him, but man, this is rough.

you guys forgot DELHOMME HAS TUNNEL VISION FOR STEVE SMITH!!! even the year before he got hurt, delhomme had the vision then and he had it last year, and he'll have it this year, go deshaun!!!!

Better watch out, I got yelled at for the "Jake Delhomme Tunnel Vision" Theory.

I listened to Jake Delhomme on the local radio show this morning, and he went on about the confidence he now has in Keyshawn and Drew Carter. I think Carolina is going to be a lot more balanced this year, and Steve's overall numbers will reflect that.

I'd start planning on having another receiver before Sunday. It looks like he won't play.

If your boy weren't such a little kitty then we'd be able to know that as fact. Until then, Steve is hiding on the bench from the big bad Falcon.

Tell you what stick around these boards for a while and the next game they play I'll gladly take any amount of money you want to donate. SS catches more passes than D'chit defends.

Better watch out, I got yelled at for the "Jake Delhomme Tunnel Vision" Theory.

...and if you are a Panther fan a still believe that after the offseason and the preseason games..well, you are still a gawddamn moran. The entire offensive staff realised this after last season when there was little if no other option other than to have "tunnel vision". I realise you are the new class of noob who wants instant cred around here-does not work that way and never will. I have given concrete reasons "why" it won't happen, and all you have done is fuggin cry about no one taking you at your word..you have no word/cred here yet....earn it. I welcome it, as the rest of us Panther homers will, but stop the gawddamn :D already..bring it strong for a season and you'll have your cred-trust me on this. Sheesh gawddamn noobs crying about this and fuggin that--bring it for a extended period of time..earn it, as it's really not that hard.

hey pd who r u refering to, me or the other guy. i've been a happy owner of s smith's now for two good seasons and this is my 3rd. i can give 2 shyts about the panthers, but i watch smith when i can. an i've seen on numerous times that delhomme locks into smith HUGE!!! look at his stats. he's top 3 in looks, so i may be a tad off, but 3rd wr in looks is tunnel vision for ones team. ive watched him grab 10-14 catches a game (again on numerous occasions) ive noticed delhomme looks only in one direction! just face it these guys click! he finally may get a break this year because of keyshawn, but thats great for fantasy owners. i remember 1 game last season a team 2x-3x teamed smith, i got a whopping 2 points!!! i highly doubt that will happen again with keyshawn on the other side!

...and if you are a Panther fan a still believe that after the offseason and the preseason games..well, you are still a gawddamn moran. The entire offensive staff realised this after last season when there was little if no other option other than to have "tunnel vision". I realise you are the new class of noob who wants instant cred around here-does not work that way and never will. I have given concrete reasons "why" it won't happen, and all you have done is fuggin cry about no one taking you at your word..you have no word/cred here yet....earn it. I welcome it, as the rest of us Panther homers will, but stop the gawddamn :D already..bring it strong for a season and you'll have your cred-trust me on this. Sheesh gawddamn noobs crying about this and fuggin that--bring it for a extended period of time..earn it, as it's really not that hard.

Nice. See I knew there was some reason I liked you. Even though you are a panthers fan :D

Tell you what stick around these boards for a while and the next game they play I'll gladly take any amount of money you want to donate. SS catches more passes than D'chit defends.

I'd take a bet like that... but it would be extremely hard to gauge.

hey pd who r u refering to, me or the other guy. i've been a happy owner of s smith's now for two good seasons and this is my 3rd. i can give 2 shyts about the panthers, but i watch smith when i can. an i've seen on numerous times that delhomme locks into smith HUGE!!! look at his stats. he's top 3 in looks, so i may be a tad off, but 3rd wr in looks is tunnel vision for ones team. ive watched him grab 10-14 catches a game (again on numerous occasions) ive noticed delhomme looks only in one direction! just face it these guys click! he finally may get a break this year because of keyshawn, but thats great for fantasy owners. i remember 1 game last season a team 2x-3x teamed smith, i got a whopping 2 points!!! i highly doubt that will happen again with keyshawn on the other side!

Who I quoted, send the mafa a box of fuggin tissue and be done with it :D

I haven't brought anything for 6 years... :D

I don't like the panthers. Just bc you gave reasons for ur "opinion" doesn't mean mine is instantly wrong.

I'm not crying, I was warning the other guy. You gave reasons before why it wouldn't happen, I gave reasons why it would.

You seem to be crying a little bit, I just warned the guy.

I'm sorry I offended the God of the Panthers.

Edited by CD6405

The only thing that will prevent Steve Smith from having another monster year is injury. Adding other pieces to a team does not diminish what a stud does. In fact, it might make him better. Instead of triple teams, he'll be dealing with double teams. If he dominates when being triple teamed, then how is he going to do when double teamed? Same goes for TO, Moss, Chad Johnson, Gates etc. They will produce regardless of what is around them.

um, adding other pieces DOES diminish what a stud does. Nobody's saying he won't be stud. 1500 yards and boat loads of TDs ain't gonna happen though. Keyshawn and an actual running game will completely diminish his godlike numbers of last year, but still keep him a viable FF #1.

there's solid depth everywhere, so no need to completely air it out to Smith every single play and hope for the best. Alot less need for the quick pass to Smith off the line also. If Deshawn can't prove himself (which I think everyone here knows how I feel about that) the team is pretty confident D. Williams can step right in and handle it. And probably out perform him and pry the starting job right from Fosters hands.

But to say adding Keyshawn and a solid run game, on a team with a coach who's all about running and balance, won't effect Steve's numbers is MORANIC!

I find it funny when someone says that a coach is all about the run game. Like there's a coach out there that says, "Nah, we don't need no stinking run game!". Well, aside from Martz and June Jones. All coaches say they want to run the ball. But look at the facts:

In Fox's first year, 2002, the team was ranked 31 in pass yards, 25 in run yards.(Smith & Mushin were over 800, but only 3 tds each) Pre-Delhomme

In 2003, they were 21 in pass, 7 rush (with Smith going for 88-1110-7)

In 2004, they were 10 in pass, 28 rush (with Mushin going for 93-1405-16)

In 2005, they were 16 in pass, 19 rush (with Smith going for 103-1563-12)

All I'm showing is that, yes, Fox wants to run the ball. But the team has never been GOOD at running the ball. And I think Fox is a smart guy, and a great coach, so he does what he has to to win games. He throws it a ton. He produces stud WRs. last three seasons a WR from this team has finished top 10. (with twice being top 3).

Great coaches let their great players win games for them. A little trivia- Under what coach did a QB make the single most pass attempts ever thrown in one season?

Under Bill Parcells. Noone wants to run the ball more than the Tuna, but he also does whatever he can to put the team inposition to win the game, and I think Fox does the same thing. Sure, they'll run it some this season. But as long as he's healthy, Smith will post monster numbers because he's the best player Fox has on offense.

GOOD coaches recongize the strength of their teams. They don't set their mind to "I wanna do this!!!" and try to do it regardless of whether they can or not.

And as to whether 'additional pieces' or 'being good at everything' really hurt a guys output that much, I give you: The Cincinnati Bengals

They have a great QB, a RB who is easily more of a stud than either of the guys the Panthers have (at least what he's proven vs. what they've proven) an AMAZING WR corps, TJ could be a #1 on a lot of teams, and Henry is no slouch either, and yet who is considered the #1 or #2 WR in the league (for fantasy purposes)?

Chad Johnson. So why can't Steve Smith flourish in a similar environment (except for injury)?

I'm not as much of an expert as a lot of you guys here, I know that, and I'm probably going to get reamed for saying all this, because that's what appears to happen around here, but this is how I look at it. Glass half full.

If you drafted SS thinking of last years numbers, well get the bullet removed from your foot. This team spent the off-season doing everything possible to make SS part of the overall equation and not the only answer. They upgraded the OLine to get back to a more productive and powerful running game, and believe me, Fox is gonna run it this year. They added depth at WR in Key and got Carter and Colbert a year wiser and healthier, as they knew changes had to be made, no way could or would SS reproduce the #'s of last year-was not going to happen. The DT was improved up front and this unit will control the game with feild position and that will lead to clock management/short feild and set up play-action pass. I still beleive there will be good balance on offense, but SS will only be part of a deep and talented WR corp. SS will produce and is clearly the Panthers #1, but you will not see last years #'s by a long shot-Peace PD.

Don't like to quote my self, but I don't expect a "run happy" Fox to the point of being detremental, it will be well balanced, hence the wording from the original post. The "Panther God" that's actually pretty funny, but just rest assured my tentacles run deeper that what's availabel on the web CD-Peace PD.

GOOD coaches recongize the strength of their teams. They don't set their mind to "I wanna do this!!!" and try to do it regardless of whether they can or not.

And as to whether 'additional pieces' or 'being good at everything' really hurt a guys output that much, I give you: The Cincinnati Bengals

They have a great QB, a RB who is easily more of a stud than either of the guys the Panthers have (at least what he's proven vs. what they've proven) an AMAZING WR corps, TJ could be a #1 on a lot of teams, and Henry is no slouch either, and yet who is considered the #1 or #2 WR in the league (for fantasy purposes)?

Chad Johnson. So why can't Steve Smith flourish in a similar environment (except for injury)?

I'm not as much of an expert as a lot of you guys here, I know that, and I'm probably going to get reamed for saying all this, because that's what appears to happen around here, but this is how I look at it. Glass half full.

for crying out loud..this is not a debate on FF stats. This is actual football stats we're talking about here. FF stud? ABSO-MOTHER-F'ING-LUTELY. Same stats as last year? NO. :D