[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indy News Rookie Safety Bethea to start

keggerz

LINK

colts notebook

Rookie Bethea likely to start at safety spot

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

Antoine Bethea probably will start at safety tonight when the Indianapolis Colts open the season against the New York Giants in Giants Stadium. He'll one-up a few of his more distinguished defensive teammates.

End Dwight Freeney, safety Bob Sanders and linebacker Cato June have appeared in the Pro Bowl, but none started on opening day as a rookie.

In fact, Bethea will be just the fourth defensive rookie since 2000 to earn an opening-day start for the Colts. He joins safety Mike Doss (2003), whose lingering calf injury during preseason opened the door for Bethea to make his move up the depth chart, tackle Larry Tripplett (2002) and safety Idrees Bashir (2001).

"First time on national TV, a really big stage. . . . I'm just ready to go out there and do what I've been doing all week in practice,'' said Bethea, a sixth-round round draft pick.

He conceded he'll likely be nervous prior to kickoff, but added, "once that whistle blows and the ball's snapped, I've got to get all of the nerves and jitters out of my system.''

Coach Tony Dungy has no reservations starting a rookie in such a high-profile game; in any game for that matter.

"It's not something we really think about,'' he said. "(Running back) Joseph Addai will play a lot. They'll do fine.''

Medical update

Defensive tackle Corey Simon (knee) officially has been ruled out of tonight's game and did not accompany the team. Downgraded from questionable to doubtful are tight end Ben Hartsock (hamstring), linebacker Freddie Keiaho (knee) and guard Ryan Lilja (knee).

Wide receiver Brandon Stokley (ankle) did not participate in Saturday morning's short workout and remains a game-time decision.

Giant(s) 'reunion'

Freeney was born in Hartford, Conn., and grew up a die-hard Giants fan.

"I watched L.T.,'' he said of Lawrence Taylor, the Giants' Hall of Fame linebacker. "When I was younger, I watched (Michael) Strahan and he's still there. For me to go to Giants Stadium, it's like a second home.

"Other than being (in Indy), it's where I grew up. That's who I used to watch.''

Told he might agitate Strahan by telling him he grew up watching Strahan play, Freeney smiled.

"Yeah, I already hit him up,'' he said. "Me and him are friends now. I'm like, 'You were a great player back then.' You throw things, little curveballs at him. But he knows."

Freeney is the Colts' career sack leader with 51. Strahan has 1291/2 sacks, the most among active players and No. 9 on the NFL's all-time list.

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Edited by keggerz

LINK

colts notebook

Rookie Bethea likely to start at safety spot

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

Antoine Bethea probably will start at safety tonight when the Indianapolis Colts open the season against the New York Giants in Giants Stadium. He'll one-up a few of his more distinguished defensive teammates.

End Dwight Freeney, safety Bob Sanders and linebacker Cato June have appeared in the Pro Bowl, but none started on opening day as a rookie.

In fact, Bethea will be just the fourth defensive rookie since 2000 to earn an opening-day start for the Colts. He joins safety Mike Doss (2003), whose lingering calf injury during preseason opened the door for Bethea to make his move up the depth chart, tackle Larry Tripplett (2002) and safety Idrees Bashir (2001).

"First time on national TV, a really big stage. . . . I'm just ready to go out there and do what I've been doing all week in practice,'' said Bethea, a sixth-round round draft pick.

He conceded he'll likely be nervous prior to kickoff, but added, "once that whistle blows and the ball's snapped, I've got to get all of the nerves and jitters out of my system.''

Coach Tony Dungy has no reservations starting a rookie in such a high-profile game; in any game for that matter.

"It's not something we really think about,'' he said. "(Running back) Joseph Addai will play a lot. They'll do fine.''

Medical update

Defensive tackle Corey Simon (knee) officially has been ruled out of tonight's game and did not accompany the team. Downgraded from questionable to doubtful are tight end Ben Hartsock (hamstring), linebacker Freddie Keiaho (knee) and guard Ryan Lilja (knee).

Wide receiver Brandon Stokley (ankle) did not participate in Saturday morning's short workout and remains a game-time decision.

Giant(s) 'reunion'

Freeney was born in Hartford, Conn., and grew up a die-hard Giants fan.

"I watched L.T.,'' he said of Lawrence Taylor, the Giants' Hall of Fame linebacker. "When I was younger, I watched (Michael) Strahan and he's still there. For me to go to Giants Stadium, it's like a second home.

"Other than being (in Indy), it's where I grew up. That's who I used to watch.''

Told he might agitate Strahan by telling him he grew up watching Strahan play, Freeney smiled.

"Yeah, I already hit him up,'' he said. "Me and him are friends now. I'm like, 'You were a great player back then.' You throw things, little curveballs at him. But he knows."

Freeney is the Colts' career sack leader with 51. Strahan has 1291/2 sacks, the most among active players and No. 9 on the NFL's all-time list.

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

Will he be the new SS for Indy? Or will Doss retain his starting role?

according to gamebook he started at SS http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20060910_IND@NYG

Thanks but isn't Doss injured? I am wondering if when Doss returns will he get his job back or does Bethea keep the job? Thanks (wondering if he is worth picking up in a dynasty league)

Edited by Stingers