[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Green update

Randall

LINK-you can send a message to Green here.

Chiefs President Carl Peterson on QB Trent Green’s condition following Sunday’s game: “Obviously a pretty severe head trauma, but he had all his senses and feeling in his arms and legs. Actually, when he did wake up he remembered every play except the one that knocked him out. He’s in the hospital right now, but the preliminary X-rays – and they did them of the neck and head – are all negative. So, we’re being very optimistic and hopeful.

“His family, including his wife Julie, is with him and we’re going to be cautiously optimistic that he’s going to be back, but he’s certainly got a headache right now.”

From the KC Star

Fact is, Kansas City expects its ironman quarterback to return, maybe after the bye week Oct. 1. Reality is, the Chiefs have very little experienced depth behind him. Veteran backup Damon Huard got the call as Green lay motionless on the ground, and coach Herm Edwards said Huard “did a pretty good job once he got going.”

But his biggest drive came when the game was well in hand, and Huard goes into Denver next week rusty and unproven, making his last start in Miami in 2000.

“I’m not going to worry about Denver today,” Huard said. “There will be a time for that this week. I’m going to think about Trent and his family, and that’s really what’s important. We’ll go to work on Denver probably tomorrow afternoon.”

The Chiefs have four quarterbacks, but the two others are rookies. Brodie Croyle suited up as the third quarterback Sunday; Casey Printers is on the practice squad. Both rookies showed their age in the preseason, and Huard was out for part of camp because of an ankle injury.

Peterson, visibly upset over Green’s injury, said his first priority Sunday was to get to Green’s wife, Julie, and update her on his condition. Green was awake late Sunday and moving his arms and legs.

Peterson said the doctors will decide when Green can return and that he’s comfortable with the Chiefs’ depth.

“We have three quarterbacks and one on practice squad,” Peterson said. “Some teams only have two.”

With Green at the controls, being a backup quarterback in Kansas City is kind of like being the Maytag repairman. He was never really needed. Todd Collins backed up Green for five years and threw only 27 passes in that time.

Collins signed with Washington in the offseason, elevating Huard to the No. 2 spot.

“We’ll be OK,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “We’re going to have to rally around Damon. We’re going to rally around him because we’ve got no choice.”

Huard said everything happened so fast Sunday. He completed 12 of 20 passes for 140 yards and a touchdown and was sacked four times. His easygoing demeanor could help next weekend at Denver, a place the Chiefs haven’t won at since the Gunther Cunningham era.

“You never know when you’re going to get out there and have to do your job,” Huard said.

“You’ve always got to be ready to play.”

Obviously, the important thing is that Trent's going to be OK whether he ever plays again or not.

On a lighter note, a Damon Huard-led Herman Edwards-coached Chiefs team should provide some good entertainment in the coming weeks.

I was at the game. It was as brutal of a shot as I have seen and it completely took the life out of the stadium. I am happily suprised that he is doing so well.

I know from experience its even worse when you are there for a big injury...I was up at a Niner-Eagle Monday night game a few years back, and Koy Detmer was playing (McNabb was injured the week before)...well Koy bascially bent his elbow back the other way when he was being tackled...

he was shaking around on the field pretty bad and we coudlnt tell in the upper deck if the guy was having a seizure, or what was going on...pretty scary for awhile there, but we were able to see on someone's mini TV that it was "just" an elbow...but alot of us up there were relieved the guy didnt have something more serious (seizure, head trauma, etc.)...but it was a scary five-ten minutes while they were taking him out of the field...and after that, the stadium had kind of lost its life...

Glad Trent is okay...and the NFL REALLY needs to take a long look at that hit...not sure why it wasnt called a penalty, but it should have been!

I used to like Marv Lewis, but after the repeat offseason arrests and that shot that better levy a record fine, I'm sorry to say his team has little class and is infested with thugs. Thumbs down, Marv Lewis your lackadaisical attitude towards sportsmanship and personal responsibility for your team was in part responsible for that hit.

I'm glad to hear that Trent is going to be OK. That was as viscious a hit as I've ever seen anyone take in the NFL. I am stupefied as to why a penalty wasn't called on the play. I can only hope that some excessive fine will be levied. A one or more game suspension wouldn't be out of the question either.

I'm glad Trent is going to be ok.I was holding my breath after the hit.

But the hit wasn't late,and there was no helmet to helmet.

Geathers is already committed when Trent starts his slide.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/424/trentgreenslidecm2.jpg

...and there is no helmet to helmet.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2259/headhittq4.jpg

Again,I'm glad Trent will be ok.

I'm glad Trent is going to be ok.I was holding my breath after the hit.

But the hit wasn't late,and there was no helmet to helmet.

Geathers is already committed when Trent starts his slide.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/424/trentgreenslidecm2.jpg

...and there is no helmet to helmet.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2259/headhittq4.jpg

Again,I'm glad Trent will be ok.

He was in midair, and still was able to purposely drop his shoulder into his head. He didn't have to and could have avoided it. No one said helmet to helmet. It was cheap, dirty and clearly committed during a time he was in a QB slide which means hands off.