[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have to give Pennington his props

Vet

One nice thing about owning your own business is that you can tell people you have an "important conference call" on Monday morning and then retire to the privacy of your own office and re-watch your favorite team - in my case the lowly J-E-T-S - beat up on a lesser opponent.

I was hesitant to say this yesterday because I feared I might get carried away in the excitement of what might be one of the Jets only wins this year. But after studying the replay of this game with a cup of coffee and a bagel in a fairly sterile environment, I can honestly say that yesterday was one of the best performances Pennington has had. Slowing it down and looking at footwork, reads, and arm-strength I think (and, believe me I'm hesitant to say this given his history of injury) Chad is back.

The boy had some zip on is passes yesterday like I haven't seen in a while - maybe ever! The cross-field 40-yarder to Coles and the TD pass to Baker where he threaded the needle were obvious examples, but there were several others. And he appeared more confident and showed better leadership - no headbutting linemen like a few years ago - but great poise. And all this was done with essentially NO running game, which to me was surprising (I've viewed Chad as a one-trick pony who is good at play-action, but not much else).

Now, obviously, his ability to play 16 games will always be in question (I admit I often refer to him as "Mr.Glass"). And I acknowledge that it was against the Titans, a team that is roughly on even par with the Jets within the lower-echelon of NFL teams. But I have to give Chad his props - he looked real good.

This is a guy that might be available in some smaller fantasy leagues. Obviously, he's got a tough match-up next week against the Pats, and I can't tell you he'll still be healthy in Week 7 - let alone Week 17, but don't let concerns over arm strength deter you from picking hime up if he's available in your league. I might be a blind homer, but yesterday didn't look like a fluke to me as far as the QB was concerned.

OK, back to work....

Think he can keep this up? I'm wondering if he makes a decent FA acquisition. :D

I have him in 1 league but is a very deep league where every starting QB(and many of the backups) in the league are taken.

I started him because of his matchup and the fact that I have bad QB's. but I doubt I use him very much the rest of the season as I expect this game to be his best of the year.

That being said I think he is a fine QB. I just worry about the rest of the offense and in particular the offensive line.

I have him in 1 league but is a very deep league where every starting QB(and many of the backups) in the league are taken.

I started him because of his matchup and the fact that I have bad QB's. but I doubt I use him very much the rest of the season as I expect this game to be his best of the year.

That being said I think he is a fine QB. I just worry about the rest of the offense and in particular the offensive line.

Did he throw deep? He is an accurate short range passer and very smart, but if he can't go deep could have many bad gamse.

Looking at gamebook he threw some 25-27 yards passes. Were they 25 yard throws or 25 yard gains after catching short?

Did he throw deep? He is an accurate short range passer and very smart, but if he can't go deep could have many bad gamse.

Looking at gamebook he threw some 25-27 yards passes. Were they 25 yard throws or 25 yard gains after catching short?

They were mostly short routes broke into longer routes.

He did not throw much downfield.

They were mostly short routes broke into longer routes.

He did not throw much downfield.

He had 2 really nice deep passes during this game. Both of which he absolutely threaded the needle on. The first one was in the first half I think, maybe about a 30 yarder. The 2nd one you can see on nfl live or whatever replay show they have, as it was a huge pass on their last drive of the game after the titans had tied the game up.

He had 2 really nice deep passes during this game. Both of which he absolutely threaded the needle on. The first one was in the first half I think, maybe about a 30 yarder. The 2nd one you can see on nfl live or whatever replay show they have, as it was a huge pass on their last drive of the game after the titans had tied the game up.

That's all I wanted to hear. That will keep the defense more honest.

Vet, I told you this team, and not just Pennington are being under rated this year. People kept saying how the Jets would have the first pick in next year's draft. This is a team that will win 6 games, with an outside shot at 8. The running game will improve too, as the rookies get better and Blaylock goes to the bench where he belongs. Brad Smith just may be the playmaker the offense lacks, but Coles and Cotchery are better than what most think they are as well.

That across the field pass to Coles was almost sixty yards in the air. He'll never have a cannon, but his thows have much less air under them than the past two years. I TiVO'd it but haven't had a chance to replay it yet.... how do you like your new seats?

Edited by Rovers

Hey Vet, enjoy it. You sounded really down on the green before.

Pennington and company will be fighting every game. Coles is a legitimate playmaker, and if you saw the Monday Night Miracle against Miami about 4 years ago, you know what I mean.

The fact that the D and O didn't quit in the 4th quarter last week was a huge boost. Yes, they were only tied 16-16. But on the road, no momentum, to come back to score the go-ahead TD and then for the defense to hold. Just a really encouraging sign.

Yes, they still may go 4-12. But we'll know it will be a hard-fought 12 losses in that case.