[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WEEI. BRANCH TO SEATTLE

msaint

I knew the Pats would bumble their way through this incident.

At some point, that front office has got to stop worrying about "pissing matches" and swallow their pride. Pay the damn SB MVP and move get over it. Just this once i think would've been smart.

I thought even Belichik would've given him to NYJ, but i guess he didn't wanna see Branch torch his secondary twice a year :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Seahawks passing attack is great for Hasselbeck and thats about it...give me no part of those receivers...

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out, it won't be worse than owning a New England WR for the last few years. I still think that this deal can actually help Djax's numbers as long as he stays healthy. Burleson.....not so much...

As a Seahawk fan I'm extremely happy about the move.

At some point, that front office has got to stop worrying about "pissing matches" and swallow their pride. Pay the damn SB MVP and move get over it. Just this once i think would've been smart.

I thought even Belichik would've given him to NYJ, but i guess he didn't wanna see Branch torch his secondary twice a year :D

i'm unhappy to see him go, but i'd hardly call holding their ground and getting a 1st round pick for him "bumbling."

i'm unhappy to see him go, but i'd hardly call holding their ground and getting a 1st round pick for him "bumbling."

It depends on how you look at NE's situation. If you believe that the Pats are in a brief "rebuilding" mode, it's a very good move. If you think that the Pats are one of the top 3 or so teams in the AFC, you'd be justified in being a bit pissed at BB.

I call it "getting over" . IMO that is what New England did.

Now Seattle has to pay him those dollars he wants and New England just puts someone in his spot and moves right along . Plus gets a good pick next year.

If I am a Patriot fan I am very happy about this.

It depends on how you look at NE's situation. If you believe that the Pats are in a brief "rebuilding" mode, it's a very good move. If you think that the Pats are one of the top 3 or so teams in the AFC, you'd be justified in being a bit pissed at BB.

i do think they'll be right up there with pitt, indy, cincy other afc top teams. but i also think they've proven that they don't need a true marquee #1 wr to succeed. branch was our #1, but he wasn't a marquee guy based on how little other teams were offering and how he's preceived around the league. the fact that a team paid a marquee price (#1 pick) for a guy who is a #2 wr in "real life" is pretty darned good. and, again, while i'm pissed that we lost a great kid whose hard work made him "outperform" his original contract, and i don't like that this might make the pats less attractive for free agents (i.e. the perception that managemennt is cutthroat), i have to trust in BB/SP and their proven track record...and, when it comes to free agents, some might trade a touchy-feely relationship with coach/ownership for a legit chance at a ring.

I think the offer that the pats gave to Branch 33 million with about 1/2 garanteed was a pretty good offer so I have no idea what you are talking about

i dont mean they bumbled what they got..I mean they never thought anyone would give him the money he wanted. Then a team did. twice.

Then they just refused to trade him. Thinking he'll come back. They handled this wrong. Sure they got a first round pick for a Superbowl MVP that is clearly their #1 undisputed WR and a veteren of their offense...oh yah, and someone capable of some serious YAC.

I don't think the Architect figured this is how it would work out..but I honestly didn't see it working out any other way. Just seems kind of like a pissing match between two teenagers or something. Just my :D

i do think they'll be right up there with pitt, indy, cincy other afc top teams. but i also think they've proven that they don't need a true marquee #1 wr to succeed. branch was our #1, but he wasn't a marquee guy based on how little other teams were offering and how he's preceived around the league. the fact that a team paid a marquee price (#1 pick) for a guy who is a #2 wr in "real life" is pretty darned good. and, again, while i'm pissed that we lost a great kid whose hard work made him "outperform" his original contract, and i don't like that this might make the pats less attractive for free agents (i.e. the perception that managemennt is cutthroat), i have to trust in BB/SP and their proven track record...and, when it comes to free agents, some might trade a touchy-feely relationship with coach/ownership for a legit chance at a ring.

Talent-wise, Branch could easily be a marquee #1. Injuries and playing in a relatively conservative offense have kept him from doing so. I really thought that they should've kept either him or Givens, as Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, and an over-the-hill Troy Brown are going to hinder their passing game.

My feeling is that BB wants to save money/acquire draft picks to patch up that defense and/or acquire free agents to replace some of those lesser defensive players next season. Despite the fact that the division is basically theirs for the taking, making them almost a lock for the playoffs, they're not going to be "championship material" this year.

I think the offer that the pats gave to Branch 33 million with about 1/2 garanteed was a pretty good offer so I have no idea what you are talking about

um..i heard $24 million...with just a few guaranteed...got a :D?

here...i'll do your work for you

from Boston.com

Although it had been widely speculated that Branch would find no suitors after the Patriots told him he had seven days to negotiate an acceptable contract with another club and then a trade with New England, Branch and agent Jason Chayut came up with two similar offers, from the Jets and Seahawks. Both were six-year deals worth roughly $39 million with $13 million upfront and $23 million spread over the first three years. That is about 30 percent higher than New England's best offer, a five-year, $28 million deal with $11 million guaranteed. The Patriots had also offered a three-year extension with an $8 million signing bonus split evenly over two years and salaries of $1.4 million, $4.3 million, and $4.75 million. Branch would have been forced to play out the final year of his rookie contract at the $1.05 million he was set to earn this season before a daily fine of $14,000 began being assessed against him once training camp opened and he did not report.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...offers_refused/

Edited by LooGie

I still think that this deal can actually help Djax's numbers as long as he stays healthy. Burleson.....not so much...

As a DJax owner in two leagues, I hope you're right!!! :D

um..i heard $24 million...with just a few guaranteed...got a :D?

here...i'll do your work for you

from Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...offers_refused/

Ok so I was off a bit on my 33 million it was 5 years 31 million or 3 years 18 million but Im sure you dont live in the NE area so your probably out of the loop these are around the same numbers that have been reported on the local TV in NE

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2568851

Edited by MikesMarauders

i do think they'll be right up there with pitt, indy, cincy other afc top teams. but i also think they've proven that they don't need a true marquee #1 wr to succeed.

well, not having a "marquee #1" is one thing. but right now, their best WR wouldn't be better than #3 or 4 on almost any other NFL depth chart. that is a very significant positional weakness for them right now, i don't care WHO'S throwing the football or calling the shots.

bottom line here is the pats didn't want to pay branch what other teams in the league thought he was worth. maybe getting the late first rounder and saving the cap space helps them out in the long run....but you'd be nuts not to realize that it really hurts their chances a ton THIS year.

well, not having a "marquee #1" is one thing. but right now, their best WR wouldn't be better than #3 or 4 on almost any other NFL depth chart. that is a very significant positional weakness for them right now, i don't care WHO'S throwing the football or calling the shots.

bottom line here is the pats didn't want to pay branch what other teams in the league thought he was worth. maybe getting the late first rounder and saving the cap space helps them out in the long run....but you'd be nuts not to realize that it really hurts their chances a ton THIS year.

Obviously, the Pats would like to have Branch on the team, but it got to a certain point this summer when both sides knew he wasn't going to play for the Pats again. You gotta think that the Pats knew someone would offer him the money that has gone to the WR free agents in the past couple years. I don't think the 2 offers surprised them and screwed up any plan they had. They just weren't going to take less than a #1 pick, and they stuck to that.

They offered him what they thought was fair based on the fact that he was under contract for this year and wasn't a free agent. They were doing him the favor of tearing up the final year of the deal with the contract they offered him. It's either take that (the reported 5yr 28M), or play your :D off this year and make your money next year. He took the approach to hold out even though he was under contract, and he got what he wanted.

As for a #1, we'll see where his career goes. Last year was the only year he played in all 16 games and he finished with career highs of 998 yards and 5 TDs. I don't call those "#1 numbers", but let's see what happens in a different system.

Edited by charty

After watching that atrocity yesterday, are you sure it will be a high 1st rounder?