[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

End of game timeouts

kcmast

With 2:25 left in the game, the Redskins let the clock go down to the two minute warning. If they then call timeouts after the next 2 plays there will be somewhere around 1:45 left on the clock. If they had called them starting with 2:25, there would be 2:00 left after the same 2 plays. It seems like everyone waits; am I missing something (besides maybe hoping they throw and you don't have to use them :D )

With 2:25 left in the game, the Redskins let the clock go down to the two minute warning. If they then call timeouts after the next 2 plays there will be somewhere around 1:45 left on the clock. If they had called them starting with 2:25, there would be 2:00 left after the same 2 plays. It seems like everyone waits; am I missing something (besides maybe hoping they throw and you don't have to use them :D )

I was just saying the same thing. It makes no sense to me at all. They cost themselves an additional 3-5 plays on the last drive.

the mistake they made was calling the first timeout with 2:25 left, right after the Vikings picked up nine yards on first down. It was failry obvious the Vikings were going to make a first down, so they essentially wasted a timeout here.

They should have waited until after the two mintue warning to use all three timeouts...assuming each rushing play lasts about 5-6 seconds, they thoretically could have forced the Vikes to punt with about 1:40-1:45 left.

But the original topic was wrong:

With 2:25 left in the game, the Redskins let the clock go down to the two minute warning. If they then call timeouts after the next 2 plays there will be somewhere around 1:45 left on the clock. If they had called them starting with 2:25, there would be 2:00 left after the same 2 plays. It seems like everyone waits; am I missing something (besides maybe hoping they throw and you don't have to use them )

They Skins only had two timeouts left at 2:25. It was 2nd and 9 for the Vikings. Taylor rushes for the 1st down. If the Redskins had taken a timeout here, and another after first down, the Vikings would have let 40 seconds run off the clock for 3rd down, and another 40 seconds before punting on 4th. The Redskins would have gotten the ball back with just 35-40 seconds.

So to answer your question, this is why, in this case, it would have been wise to save all three timeouts.