[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edgerton Hartwell

scuba chuck

I was burned by Edge last year. So I have a little bit of a bad flavor in my mouth. He comes off "minor" surgery this week, and could start soon. Any love for this guy? MLB for his squad with Brooking on his strong side.

Actually Brooking plays WLB, not SLB. And since Hartwell is out, started in the middle with Demorrio Williams taking the WLB spot.

Hartwell is out this week and will probably not see the field until Week 4.

Only limited "love" for the guy seeing that he was hurt last season and Williams admirably filled in for him. Williams had a solid Week 1, too.

Actually Brooking plays WLB, not SLB. And since Hartwell is out, started in the middle with Demorrio Williams taking the WLB spot.

Hartwell is out this week and will probably not see the field until Week 4.

Only limited "love" for the guy seeing that he was hurt last season and Williams admirably filled in for him. Williams had a solid Week 1, too.

Given that Williams filled in admirably for him last year, and now again in week 1 this year. Is there any reason to think this will change? If I remember correctly, Hartwell was only a 2 down LB (correct me if I am wrong) anyway.

Are you the Darin Tietgen who writes for the Huddle?

If so, I notice that preseason you had Hartwell ranked in your top 50 linebackers, but not a sniff of Williams. You and I exchanged a few messages last year regarding Hartwell and Kirk Morrison (thank you). You were very strong about Hartwell over Williams then. How do you feel now?

Demorio is available in my league now. How do you think he ranks against a Brian Simmons (or any of my LBs for that matter - see signature).

Given that Williams filled in admirably for him last year, and now again in week 1 this year. Is there any reason to think this will change? If I remember correctly, Hartwell was only a 2 down LB (correct me if I am wrong) anyway.

Are you the Darin Tietgen who writes for the Huddle?

If so, I notice that preseason you had Hartwell ranked in your top 50 linebackers, but not a sniff of Williams. You and I exchanged a few messages last year regarding Hartwell and Kirk Morrison (thank you). You were very strong about Hartwell over Williams then. How do you feel now?

Demorio is available in my league now. How do you think he ranks against a Brian Simmons (or any of my LBs for that matter - see signature).

I think that Brooking is the only safe LB on the Falcons at this point. The news on Hartwell is not good - he's officially out for Week 2. I was strong on Hartwell last season because he was the starter. I don't recall the exact exchange last season but once Hartwell went down, I was admittedly cautious on recommending Williams as he was a bit of an unknown.

Yup, that's me - but I don't do the IDP rankings... that would be Sgt. Ryan, and I'm sure he'd have some good information on this situation, too.

I like Brian Simmons quite a bit for the next 3 weeks, as he's the MLB starter in Cincy while Odell Thurman rides out his 4-game suspension. What happens come Week 5 is a bit of a paradox for the Bengal staff. Thurman is ineligible to even practice... so you gotta think Simmons will remain the starter for a week or even two after Thurman returns. I would thusly rank Simmons higher than Williams, as - again - the situation in Atlanta is murky.

I like Brian Simmons quite a bit for the next 3 weeks, as he's the MLB starter in Cincy while Odell Thurman rides out his 4-game suspension. What happens come Week 5 is a bit of a paradox for the Bengal staff. Thurman is ineligible to even practice... so you gotta think Simmons will remain the starter for a week or even two after Thurman returns.

Darin, good stuff, thank you.

All things being equal, is Thurman the better player? Specifically, purely from a talent perspective, is there some urgency to get Thurman on the field? Is the skill/talent differential between the two significant?

I'm getting to this decision. How much dead weight is the Thurmanator on my bench? Keep in mind that Cincy has a bye in week 5, so Odell has 2 weeks, not one, to prepare.

Darin, good stuff, thank you.

All things being equal, is Thurman the better player? Specifically, purely from a talent perspective, is there some urgency to get Thurman on the field? Is the skill/talent differential between the two significant?

I'm getting to this decision. How much dead weight is the Thurmanator on my bench? Keep in mind that Cincy has a bye in week 5, so Odell has 2 weeks, not one, to prepare.

Well I'm no NFL scout, just a freelance fantasy sportswriter... if I could properly answer this question I'd probably be working in the NFL :D but let's just say that Thurman was doing his best to take the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year title. And there were some real talented guys out there he was competing against in that regard.

I would keep Thurman on your bench and hope that he starts Week 6 and puts up superb numbers. I'd guess he does just that.