[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Merriman

hooknladder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be the worst post in this thread. First of all SD doesn't play a 4-3 the play a 3-4 which means that Sd does not have a MLB. Edwards plays the ILB position. Secondly, when Edwards gets traded or leaves over the offseason Matt Wilhelm will take over his position. Merriman is only as dominant as he is because he is faster and quicker than the o-lineman that he needs to blow by. Merriman shedding a blocker and chasing down a RB isn't going to happen from the ILB position...ever.

Wrong. OK so you caught me on a typo about the MLB bit...congratulations, I hope finding a typo makes you feel smart. I am and was fully aware that he plays in the 3-4. And Merriman is not only as dominant as he is because of his speed, he is as dominant as he is because he is a pure physical specimen and competitor. Are you trying to tell me that a guy who is 6-4 and 272 couldn't play the inside linebacker position (or MLB in a 4-3, which, by the way, is exactly what Edwards IS playing in a 3-4 defense anytime that Merriman rushes the passer leaving only 3 linebackers behind the line of scrimmage)? If so than you've got a screw loose. That makes him 22 pounds heavier than Ray Lewis and 40 pounds heavier than Nick Barnett, both of whom play MLB in a 4-3. San Diego would have to be absolutely nuts to NOT move Merriman to Edwards position once it is vacated and make him the focal point of that defense. It would be purely stupid to leave him in a position where he has little more value than a Dwight Freeney rather than one where he can lead and direct the offense. And as the focal point he will be given the freedom to shift as much as needed. So don't be in the least bit surprised when it eventually happens. Donnie is 33 and off to a slow start this year compared to years past, so it may even be sooner rather than later.

Edited by Crazysight

Wrong. OK so you caught me on a typo about the MLB bit...congratulations, I hope finding a typo makes you feel smart. I am and was fully aware that he plays in the 3-4. And Merriman is not only as dominant as he is because of his speed, he is as dominant as he is because he is a pure physical specimen and competitor. Are you trying to tell me that a guy who is 6-4 and 272 couldn't play the inside linebacker position (or MLB in a 4-3, which, by the way, is exactly what Edwards IS playing in a 3-4 defense anytime that Merriman rushes the passer leaving only 3 linebackers behind the line of scrimmage)? If so than you've got a screw loose. That makes him 22 pounds heavier than Ray Lewis and 40 pounds heavier than Nick Barnett, both of whom play MLB in a 4-3. San Diego would have to be absolutely nuts to NOT move Merriman to Edwards position once it is vacated and make him the focal point of that defense. It would be purely stupid to leave him in a position where he has little more value than a Dwight Freeney rather than one where he can lead and direct the offense. And as the focal point he will be given the freedom to shift as much as needed. So don't be in the least bit surprised when it eventually happens. Donnie is 33 and off to a slow start this year compared to years past, so it may even be sooner rather than later.

how come LT never played MLB? I think if you are waiting for Merriman to ever be moved inside you will be waiting for a very long time....but that is just my opinion