[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GADO TO HOUSTON FOR MORENCY

msaint

Im not saying that this isnt in the works or might not possibly happen, but IMO Profootballtalk.com is nothing more than a rumor mill that prints every little rumor they hear. Then on the 50/50 chance the rumor comes true, they can say we were the first to break the story. Just pisses me off all of the bogus info they put out there. :D

Yeah, it does seem odd that it hasn't been confirmed yet. I think Rotoworld should do a better job of pointing out that it's not official. Putting "Report:" in front of the headline doesn't really convey it appropriately...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 13, 2006, 2:44 p.m.

By Tom Silverstein

Packers trade Gado to Houston

It appears the Green Bay Packers have given up on running back Samkon Gado, the late-season darling of the backfield last year.

Several players said Wednesday during the team's open locker room period that Gado had been informed he was traded to the Houston Texans. Word of the trade spread through the locker room quickly, but the club made no formal announcement and it was unclear whether the trade had been made.

However, Gado was pulled away from interviews by running backs coach Edgar Bennett during the locker room session and did not return while the media was still allowed in.

Three different players said they were told of the trade and considered it a reality. The Texans were expected to make an announcement about a trade after practice.

Without Gado, the Packers would be down to Ahman Green and Noah Herron at halfback. They cut fullback Vonta Leach Tuesday, so the only other running back on the roster is fullback William Henderson. Another training camp halfback, Najeh Davenport, was released on the final cutdown.

Rookie Arliss Beach, who had a strong training camp, is not eligible to play this season after being put on injured reserve.

It's unclear what the Packers will receive in exchange for Gado, the second-year back who came off the practice squad last year and led the team in rushing with 582 yards on 143 rushes. In Houston, he will be reunited with former Packers coach Mike Sherman, who is the Texans' assistant head coach and offensive line coach.

www.jsonline.com

Looks like there's legs to this.

Packers Trade RB Gado To Houston

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel - [Full Article]

The Green Bay Packers sent Samkon Gado to the Texans today. Though it is unclear what the Packers are receiving in return, an announcement from both teams is expected shortly

See a couple of posts above for full article & link.

Packers Trade RB Gado To Houston

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel - [Full Article]

The Green Bay Packers sent Samkon Gado to the Texans today. Though it is unclear what the Packers are receiving in return, an announcement from both teams is expected shortly

link was broken....here it is...

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&dat...3/2006&id=11338

So DMD what would this mean if it is true? Should I trade for Gado since I have Wali?

I am not sure since it is pure speculation at this point with nothing to go on.

Were it to happen, I would expect that Gado would just enter the RB rotation with Lundy in place of Morency and that Lundy would still be the better back. Gado had a few good games last year but he's not all that talented. There is a reason why he was never drafted and why he won't likely be a starting RB.

He had three big games last year - against ATL and their horrible rush def, against PHI in week 12 when they had fallen apart and against DET in week 14 when they had quit long before that. His results against PIT (26-62), MIN (10-7), CHI (20-75) were less than thrilling and GB had little reason to be running in those games.

I've not been a big fan of Gado really unless his situation is just right like most any RB.

With them cutting Davenport it doesnt make sense to me

It could be that GB just didn't think much of Davenport. It could also be that Morency more closely matches Ahman Green's skill set and that Gado is more in the mold of a Lundy and/or Dayne type RB. Some coaches prefer consistency from their depth in RB, so that if one goes out for a rest or due to injury that the second stringer closely approximates the running style of the starter and makes the transition into the offense easier and doesn't affect blocking schemes, play calling, etc. Other coaches like their RBs to be diverse so that they throw a curve ball to the D when they insert the 2nd stringer.

Im not saying that this isnt in the works or might not possibly happen, but IMO Profootballtalk.com is nothing more than a rumor mill that prints every little rumor they hear. Then on the 50/50 chance the rumor comes true, they can say we were the first to break the story. Just pisses me off all of the bogus info they put out there. :D

:D

These guys are tools. Crap sticks to the wall if you throw enough at it. They run a less than 10% correct rate imo.

They "break" very very little, and get mileage off of other sources pulling stories from their site.

At one point this summer they had claimed they had "scooped" the fact that Brady Quinn was going to be ruled ineleigible for this football season and boneheads at CNN and ESPN actually ran with it for a day or two. I'm sure it got them a lot of hits. They're more advertising savvy than plugged into the NFL savvy.

Edited by Pope Flick

September 13, 2006 3:44 PM ET

Texans: Gado acquired from Packers

The News

The Texans have acquired running back Sam Gado from the Packers in exchange for Vernand Morency, according to Pro Football Talk.

Our View

Morency wasn't a good fit for the Texans' new one-cut system, but he was a productive back in college and might benefit from the change in scenery. After all, Ahman Green has hardly been a bastion of good health the past few seasons. As for Gado, he brings a veteran presence to a backfield that started sixth-round pick Wali Lundy in the season opener. There's certainly upside for Samkon, given that he produced three 100-yard efforts in six outings with 20 or more carries last season.

September 13, 2006 3:44 PM ET

Texans: Gado acquired from Packers

The News

The Texans have acquired running back Sam Gado from the Packers in exchange for Vernand Morency, according to Pro Football Talk.

Our View

Morency wasn't a good fit for the Texans' new one-cut system, but he was a productive back in college and might benefit from the change in scenery. After all, Ahman Green has hardly been a bastion of good health the past few seasons. As for Gado, he brings a veteran presence to a backfield that started sixth-round pick Wali Lundy in the season opener. There's certainly upside for Samkon, given that he produced three 100-yard efforts in six outings with 20 or more carries last season.

A veteran presence? LOL

This is interesting news for sure. I picked up Wali preseason. Mainly just picked him up because I drafted D. Davis (which might have been my downfall this season). Now, I'm wondering if Wali will get most of the carries (I have a flex player slot and am debating between a mediocre WR or a RB and have no good choices). I didn't start Wali in week 1 and haven't really planned on doing so yet, but if this goes through, wouldn't he be carrying 20+ times a game? Gado is good, but it would take awhile to learn the new system. So do you guys think I should expect more production out of Wali in the near future if this does go through? Or since I wasn't starting him anytime soon...should I trade him for Gado and wait and see what happens later in the year? I don't want to drop any player to pick up Gado on a flier, but now I'm thinking it might be worth switching out Wali for Gado.

Edited by Square

This is interesting news for sure. I picked up Wali preseason. Mainly just picked him up because I drafted D. Davis (which might have been my downfall this season). Now, I'm wondering if Wali will get most of the carries (I have a flex player slot and am debating between a mediocre WR or a RB and have no good choices). I didn't start Wali in week 1 and haven't really planned on doing so yet, but if this goes through, wouldn't he be carrying 20+ times a game? Gado is good, but it would take awhile to learn the new system. So should I expect more production out of Wali in the near future if this does go through?

There should be nothing they saw in Wali week one that made them think, dang, we are set at RB ...

Both these trades signal lack of satisfaction with at least some of their RBs. Throw in Dayne going to Houston and it smacks of a big fat lack of support for Lundy ...

Here is a reality about HOU - they start their season out with this schedule:

PHI, @IND, WAS, MIA, @DAL, JAX - those are all very good rush defenses and no RB is going to look very good behind that line against that schedule.

There should be nothing they saw in Wali week one that made them think, dang, we are set at RB ...

Both these trades signal lack of satisfaction with at least some of their RBs. Throw in Dayne going to Houston and it smacks of a big fat lack of support for Lundy ...

Yep, I concur. The Texans run game looked terrible against Philly, but I dont think Gado is the savior by any means.

From Packers.com

Packers Acquire Morency From Texans For Gado

The Green Bay Packers Wednesday obtained running back Vernand Morency from the Houston Texans for running back Samkon Gado.

Morency, a 5-foot-10, 212-pound player, is in his second year out of Oklahoma State. In 13 NFL games, including Sunday's season opener, he has 51 carries for 197 yards (3.9 avg.) and two touchdowns. He also has averaged 21.9 yards on 20 career kickoff returns.

Selected after his junior season in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft (73rd overall), he spent four years as a center fielder in the Colorado Rockies farm system before enrolling at Oklahoma State. He ran for 2,661 yards on 451 carries (5.9 avg.) with 23 TDs during his college career, including two seasons as a backup to current Denver player Tatum Bell.