[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From the CrockPot-Week 2

PantherDave

Well it's already Week 2, so it's time for another edition of FTCP, and this week I've choosen to work with chicken and shrimp, as we are going to make some Jambalaya-CrockPot style. Let's get to it!!!

Jambalaya-Style Chicked and Shrimp

If you like spicy Cajun food, use the Homemade Cajun Seasoning. The Cajun seasoning blend from the grocery store is less peppery than this three-pepper combination.

Prep-20 min

Cook-Low 5 hrs,High 2 1/2 hrs

Stand-10 min

Slow Cooker-3 1/2-4 qt.

1 cup sliced celery

1 large onion

1 14 1/2 oz can low sodium tomatoes, cut up

1 14 oz can reduced sodium chicked broth

1/2 of a 6 oz can (1/3 cup) tomato paste

1 Tablespoon Worchesterhire sauce

1 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning or 1 recipe Homemade Cajun Seasoning(that 1 1/2 not 1/2)

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4" pieces

1 1/2 cups of instant rice(thats 1 1/2 not 1/2)

8 oz cooked peeled, deviened shrimp(1/2 lb)

3/4 cup chopped green pepper

Step 1-In a 3 1/2 to 4 qt slow cooker combine celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Worcestshire sauce, and your choice of the Cajun Seasoning. Stir in chicken

Step 2- Cover and cook(choose your cook time above).Stir in rice, shrimp and green pepper. Cover and let stand 10-15 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Homemade Cajun Seasoning: In a small bowl combine 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Now some football-I like the Jet's to upset the Pat's this Sunday

Jets 20

Pats 17

Good Luck on the Homer Front and FF Wise and Bon Appetite-Peace PD.

Edited by PantherDave

I think he's asking what size shrimp.

For clarification, are you putting the shrimp in after the majority of the cooking is done? That would make the most sense to me.

See Step 2.....yes- rice, shrimp and green peppers after the cook time while it's standing.

Most deviened pre-cooked shrimp is in the medium size range around these parts.

Edited by PantherDave

I don't see why not of ya cooked on a low heat for an extended period of time-still not sure you could go as long as a CP. I'd go hit a Wal-Mart or Target, as they are not that expensive and get a 3 1/2 to 4 qt slow cooker.

:D

Lawdawg just IM'd me and got on my case for not having a crockpot. :D

Chicken breasts just go in whole? And what count shrimp is the rec?

personally, i'd dice the chicken

I think he's asking what size shrimp.

For clarification, are you putting the shrimp in after the majority of the cooking is done? That would make the most sense to me.

i agree.... he was asking for size of shrimp.

i'd add that shrimp late (also dice it).... just think you'd over cook it (even at low) when doing it for hours.

Quick question, I don't own a crock pot. Can I use a cast iron enamaled interior dutch oven instead? I'm thinking yes but I don't want to ruin my Le Creuset.

i think you could do this with a "regular pot"

See Step 2.....yes- rice, shrimp and green peppers after the cook time while it's standing.

Most deviened pre-cooked shrimp is in the medium size range around these parts.

i think 20-30 count would be good for this recipe.

Yup. I don't think I've ever made jambalaya without some sort of sausage, usually andouille....but you couldn't slow cook that for too long either.

Just pre-cook and set it aside, then add with rice, shrimp and green peppers. Also, I'd stay away from dicing, as the chicken may become part of the stock if diced to small-perhaps "cubed" in 1/2" range.

Just pre-cook and set it aside, then add with rice, shrimp and green peppers. Also, I'd stay away from dicing, as the chicken may become part of the stock if diced to small-perhaps "cubed" in 1/2" range.

1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 is known as a medium dice, but thanks chef. :D

I think it depends on how you want your chicken. One of my favorite things to do with a crockpot is make chicken for enchiladas, tacos, etc. At the end of a long day in the pot, the chicken easily shreds with a couple forks. Its very moist and has absorbed a lot of flavor from the spices. I think shredded chicken would work fine in jambalaya as well; you just have to go through the quick shredding process at the end.

I think it depends on how you want your chicken. One of my favorite things to do with a crockpot is make chicken for enchiladas, tacos, etc. At the end of a long day in the pot, the chicken easily shreds with a couple forks. Its very moist and has absorbed a lot of flavor from the spices. I think shredded chicken would work fine in jambalaya as well; you just have to go through the quick shredding process at the end.

absolutely. braised (then shreaded) chicken is fantastic in mexican food and would work well here too. i saw nothing specified.

Grandson of a chef-remember, and "diced" would be 1/4", hence the reason for my reply. Things must have changed since my grandfathers day's as 1/2" was considered cubed-Peace PD.

Edited by PantherDave

Grandson of a chef-remember, and "diced" would be 1/4", hence the reason for my reply. Things must have changed since my grandfathers day's as 1/2" was considered cubed-Peace PD.

too many fat pitches in there.... i'll just let them go :D

I'll being trying this for the next away game for the Broncos. This weekend I'll be acting like all this WCOFF Oprahers! Smoking ribs, cigars and tailgating before the game!! To bad it's going to be crappy weather 58 degrees! Anyone else going to be at the game? I have friends coming out from Cali and Phoenix for opening day... I can't wait! :D

Edited by sundaynfl

I'll being trying this for the next away game for the Broncos. This weekend I'll be acting like all this WCOFF Oprahers! Smoking ribs, cigars and tailgating before the game!! To bad it's going to be crappy weather 58 degrees! Anyone else going to be at the game? I have friends coming out from Cali and Phoenix for opening day... I can't wait! :D

nah.... going to oktoberfest in vail... then catch sunday ticket.