[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about the old time Raiders

DMD

What was the deal between he and Al Davis?

I am thinking about how this Porter thing could play out and Marcus Allen was with the Raiders through 1992, his final three and a half years with Art Shell. Judging by his performance, he was either injured or fell from favor in 1989 when Shanahan left and Shell took over (his production dove and never recovered for his last 3 1/2 years).

What was the deal back then? I know it happened, just do not remember why it happened or how it finally played out. Seems ironic that Shell is back and the same thing appears to be happening.

What was the deal between he and Al Davis?

I am thinking about how this Porter thing could play out and Marcus Allen was with the Raiders through 1992, his final three and a half years with Art Shell. Judging by his performance, he was either injured or fell from favor in 1989 when Shanahan left and Shell took over (his production dove and never recovered for his last 3 1/2 years).

What was the deal back then? I know it happened, just do not remember why it happened or how it finally played out. Seems ironic that Shell is back and the same thing appears to be happening.

It started in 86 when Davis publicly stated that Allen was faking an injury. Then later in the year Allen fumbled in an OT game, (maybe Philly?) and it was returned for a TD to lose a game. Then in 87 Allen was upset that Davis went out and signed Bo Jackson. Then the players strike in 87 happened, and Davis tried to force Allen to cross the line so the Raiders could win those games. Allen refused. When Bo finally arrived at the end of that baseball season, Davis ordered Tom Flores to not play Allen. Then later in like 90 or 91, Davis signed Roger Craig, which again pissed Allen off, and Davis all the time had been ordering new HC Art Shell to bury Allen on the bench. All of this is why Allen signed with KC late in his career, trying to get back at him with a division rival.

This is what I remember reading in someone's biography, Allen's maybe?

In 1991, I think it had a lot to do with the free agent signing of Roger Craig, the past few years before that I believe it was problems with splitting time with Bo Jackson. But I think it actually started way back in 1986 when Al Davis went public and stated that Marcus was faking a few of his injuries! The Porter thing does remind me a little of the Marcus Allen debacle except for one thing Marcus Allen is a hall of famer and should have never been treated like that...Porter is not! He has always wanted to be the number 1 goto guy...i'm not saying he doesn't have the talent but you would of figured by now if he had the talent he would have already moved up the depth chart. I really don't know what is going on too much in Raider land, why you would let Gabriel go for a 5th rounder doesn't make any sense to me? But hey it's the Raiders...Lately nothing much has been making sense around there. :D

It started in 86 when Davis publicly stated that Allen was faking an injury. Then later in the year Allen fumbled in an OT game, (maybe Philly?) and it was returned for a TD to lose a game. Then in 87 Allen was upset that Davis went out and signed Bo Jackson. Then the players strike in 87 happened, and Davis tried to force Allen to cross the line so the Raiders could win those games. Allen refused. When Bo finally arrived at the end of that baseball season, Davis ordered Tom Flores to not play Allen. Then later in like 90 or 91, Davis signed Roger Craig, which again pissed Allen off, and Davis all the time had been ordering new HC Art Shell to bury Allen on the bench. All of this is why Allen signed with KC late in his career, trying to get back at him with a division rival.

This is what I remember reading in someone's biography, Allen's maybe?

Hey Pats fan...great Raider History...your not turning over to the Darkside are you? :D

Hey Pats fan...great Raider History...your not turning over to the Darkside are you? :D

:D Nope. Was always a fan of Allen's as a kid, and hated the Raiders at the same time (was a Redskins fan as a kid, and that whole SB 18 thing and all) which was weird. I always respected Allen for not causing a destraction or demanding a trade, or holding out, etc.

:D Nope. Was always a fan of Allen's as a kid, and hated the Raiders at the same time (was a Redskins fan as a kid, and that whole SB 18 thing and all) which was weird. I always respected Allen for not causing a destraction or demanding a trade, or holding out, etc.

Allen was my favorite as a kid too..it totally sucked to see him wasting away on the bench like that! :D

The problems with the Raiders begin and end with Al Davis. Everyone can see it, but no one in that organization can stop the madness. Waiting until dead last to pick a head coach, and coordinators off the scrap heap is no way to run a team. We knew the man lost it when he let Gruden go. I hope Brady Quinn likes the Bay area.

Allen was my favorite as a kid too..it totally sucked to see him wasting away on the bench like that! :D

He wasn’t on the bench… Al Davis in his wisdom put him on the practice squad. Grew up in CA and was a Raider fan as a kid (the Rams always sucked). When they came to LA is was a big deal, and when they went back they sort of screwed both cities. Good riddance… Al Davis can bask in his “just win baby” speech all season. I think Porter is trying to jump off a sinking ship. Gotta love that he took Al’s parking space.