[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has anyone tried an Auction Draft

Redfish

Just curious about your experiences with the auction format. Once we reluctantly made the switch from a draft to an auction, we were hooked forever. Not one member of our league would even consider reverting to a regular draft now. The auction process is the highlight of our season. We sat around after the auction and some of the guys were pondering why anyone would draft anymore.

If you still prefer the serp after trying an auction, share some details.

In one of my local leagues, we began as a serpentine redraft league back about 10 years ago, then switched to an auction format three years ago, and then the league just voted to go back to a serpentine format this year (I was in the minority on that vote, as I love auctions).

In one of my local leagues, we began as a serpentine redraft league back about 10 years ago, then switched to an auction format three years ago, and then the league just voted to go back to a serpentine format this year (I was in the minority on that vote, as I love auctions).

what arguments did the gang use to justify the reversion? was there one central theme or a primary complaint with the auction?

what arguments did the gang use to justify the reversion? was there one central theme or a primary complaint with the auction?

I think that some people just were not very good at the auction... and others just missed the serpentine draft. Nobody actually argued that they didn't like auctions, they just voted the other way.

Did the vote break sharply along kitty cat/non-kitty cat lines?

Peace

policy

NEVER. We were a redraft league for 8 years brfore switching to an auction 4 years ago. I had been working over the owners from year 5 and they finallyt gave in, said they's try it for one season.

When the auction ended, I asked if anyone was disappoionted...answer: NO. I asked if anyone wanted to fgo back to the draft next season...answer: NO.

Auctions are the best, fairest, coolest, most fun way to put a FF team together. IMO, of course.

I'm not a fan of auctions just because time is limited.

My one league, we had a 19 hours draft one draft day. That's just too long.

But based on pure interaction and fun, auctions are pimp

I'm surprised that time is a concern. Our auction took about 3 hours and 15 minutes.

I will say in one of my leagues where we run an auction draft, I wouldn't mind going back to a serp draft. The way our auction and league run is a bit different, so that could be alot of it. Basically, a team "owns" a draft pick and once a certain player is bid on and the amount is final, then the owner holds the option to either pay one dollar more to retain the player, or let him go.

It's also a keeper league where you can flat out keep a player and have his salary go up by 50% +3 dollars, or you can put up to two players on restricted free agency. The players on restricted free agency are listed at the same price you had them last year, but during a period of time, they are open for bid by all teams.

Last year we got f'ed as our keepers where Bledsoe, Carr, S. Smith, J. Jeruvious, L. Evans, and our restricted players where Portis and LT. Portis got bid up big time so we let him go, then LT got bid up in a big way as well and we were forced to basically let him go ($88 with a salary cap of $200).

So in the draft, the best available RB's were J. Lewis, Dunn, M. Bell, basically lower teir 2 to teir 3 RB's. Our team sucks and has no prayer this year.

We changed one of our locals from serpentine to auction 3 years ago and I think we may go back to it. I love the auction but we have so many owners that drag it out with adding $1 right before the "sold" and the gavel coming down that it's not becoming enjoyable anymore. There's too many that do this to just replace them so I think we may have to go back.

We changed one of our locals from serpentine to auction 3 years ago and I think we may go back to it. I love the auction but we have so many owners that drag it out with adding $1 right before the "sold" and the gavel coming down that it's not becoming enjoyable anymore. There's too many that do this to just replace them so I think we may have to go back.

We struggled with this early on. We found a guy (friend of several in the league) that gets his rocks off by being a hardcase running our auction. He does an excellent job being consistent on count downs and spotting people making quiet bids. Once the action slows down, he starts a going once..... and when he reaches going twice, you are very likely to be out of time. His rulings are final and his integrity is high. Once you lose a player through procrastination or delay, you quit screwing around. You might try to find someone willing to serve in a similar role.

I'm not a fan of auctions just because time is limited.

My one league, we had a 19 hours draft one draft day. That's just too long.

But based on pure interaction and fun, auctions are pimp

19 hours? What is your secret? Anything to extend a draft is a good thing. 19 hours is a record and should be documented and recorded in the Annals of the Fantasy Football Hall of Fame. Sounds like some wives and girlfriends got involved here.

We struggled with this early on. We found a guy (friend of several in the league) that gets his rocks off by being a hardcase running our auction. He does an excellent job being consistent on count downs and spotting people making quiet bids. Once the action slows down, he starts a going once..... and when he reaches going twice, you are very likely to be out of time. His rulings are final and his integrity is high. Once you lose a player through procrastination or delay, you quit screwing around. You might try to find someone willing to serve in a similar role.

Thanks for the advice 'fish, gratly appreciated. Our other problem is we tend to have a few owners that have no patience and spend their money quick leaving say 7 open spots and $7 left and then leave and just pick from whatever is left over at the end of the night. While this leaves better players for those of us that stick around, it leaves the whole experience to be a bit disappointing.

We did a serpentine draft for years and last year we switched to an auction. Everyone likes the auction better.

This year though we auctioned off only the first 140 players (14 teams) and then finished the draft sepentine style for everyones last 5 roster spots.

An hour + of everyone bidding $1 for players at the end of the auction last year seemed like a waste of time, hence the switch this year to the combo.

We will do the combo again next year for sure.

We did a serpentine draft for years and last year we switched to an auction. Everyone likes the auction better.

This year though we auctioned off only the first 140 players (14 teams) and then finished the draft sepentine style for everyones last 5 roster spots.

An hour + of everyone bidding $1 for players at the end of the auction last year seemed like a waste of time, hence the switch this year to the combo.

We will do the combo again next year for sure.

What if some teams had more players than others after the auction part? Did you really have every team "win" 10 players equally?

We swithched back because some felt that drafting rewarded those who studied and prepared for the sleeper picks or good players that should have been grabbed in say rounds 3-5 but would fall to 6-10.

In an auction, if you bring out a sleeper player after running out of cap money except $1or $2 to get that player (usally this happens in later rounds), you end up losing the player to owners who didn't study but had more cap money.

Hmm, I think we might have to talk about this system before we go and abandon our auction. So spend early and wait around until the draft portion or save money and grab the last of the 140.

We had people who were successfull both ways. Some guys stocked up on high dollar players and picked up a few $1 bargains and others hoarded their money and got a high quality team late by bidding 4 and 5 dollars on some really good players when everyone else could only afford to spend 3 or 4 dollars. In fact, last year one team used the latter strategy and got Carson Palmer toward the end for $5. (Payton Manning went for about $30 if I remember right)

But really what it comes down to is knowing the players and setting a budget and sticking to it. For instance this year we had $100 to spend on 10 players. One guy got LT for $42, killed the rest of his draft.

But really what it comes down to is knowing the players and setting a budget and sticking to it. For instance this year we had $100 to spend on 10 players. One guy got LT for $42, killed the rest of his draft.

I paid $69 for LT ($150 budget) and still got McNabb and other good players. I paid $2 for Santana Moss late and with a post-draft trade added Harrison. The strategy of an auction and saving money and using position for sleepers is hugh. Nobody leaves ours early, even if they've filled out their team.

We swithched back because some felt that drafting rewarded those who studied and prepared for the sleeper picks or good players that should have been grabbed in say rounds 3-5 but would fall to 6-10.

In an auction, if you bring out a sleeper player after running out of cap money except $1or $2 to get that player (usally this happens in later rounds), you end up losing the player to owners who didn't study but had more cap money.

That's the beauty of an auction. prepare your budget, know when to break it, how to make up for that, when to price enforce, and the number one rule of an auction...ALWAYS BE THE GUY WITH THE MOST MONEY AT ALL TIMES.

and the number one rule of an auction...ALWAYS BE THE GUY WITH THE MOST MONEY AT ALL TIMES.

We call it 'owning the board' and I've seen it backfire on a few people, to the extent they ended up with the worst team in the league. Biggest fear is waking up with a ton of money and Corey Dillon as your RB1. There is a balance, but historically, you need 3 or more solid RB's out of the auction, with one headliner (top 4 at end of season) to make the playoffs. Now, I love owning the board when I have a max bid of $5 late and everyone else has $4 or less. Anyone who slipped through the cracks is mine if I want them.