[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis downgraded to doubtful

PaulOttCarruth

What's worse is the 'Skins play the NBC Sunday Night game, so you're almost forced to scratch Portis since you won't know his playing status until late in the day.

Ugh... looks like fingerless Mike Bell is getting the call once again this week. :D

What's worse is the 'Skins play the NBC Sunday Night game, so you're almost forced to scratch Portis since you won't know his playing status until late in the day.

Exactly.....

I'll be w/o computer access until Sunday afternoon :D , going camping.

Have option of JJones instead of Portis on Sunday night......strongly considering rolling with Bush instead though.

OTL on ESPN just said Gibbs has ruled Portis OUT for this weekend. No link yet, but I assure you it was on tv.

I didn't see anything on ESPN but SportsLine has the headiline that gibbs has ruled Portis Out.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9662634

When you read the story, though, here's Gibbs' quote: "He didn't practice today. ... If a guy doesn't practice, he's not going to play," Gibbs said.

Any coach would say this. I don't take it to mean that Portis is definitely out. It seems to be coachspeak.

Portis OUT

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs ruled Clinton Portis out for the game against the Dallas Cowboys, an announcement that surprised Portis and created yet another bizarre twist in the running back's injury saga.

Edited by theeohiostate

From Washington Post:

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs said today that running back Clinton Portis's status for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys would be downgraded to doubtful and that Ladell Betts would start.

"He didn't practice, so we'll probably downgrade him," Gibbs said. "It's really just because of soreness. We haven't been able to get the soreness out. It's actually in a different spot in his shoulder. I think its an issue where he's got some soreness that lingered and kept him from practicing this week so we'll downgrade him."

later in article:

"If a guy doesn't practice, he's not going to play, so we'll downgrade him," Gibbs said. "He'll probably tell me he can play on game day, but he didn't practice so we'll move him down accordingly."

Downgrade to doubtful or out? Sounds to me like Portis hasn't been entirely ruled out, but would likely share carries with Betts at best.