[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football & Diminishing Enjoyment

Chief Dick

I got "burned out" on fantasy football a few years back.

I cut it back to two leagues, my local dynasty league - where the real reason for the league is to stay in touch with guys I've been friends with for 25 years - and one other league (4board) where I am one of four owners representing "TheHuddle" against 3 other FF boards.

I watch much less football than I did 10, or even 5 years ago. But I enjoy it much more now when I do watch. And, quite frankly, I don't really care anymore how my FF teams do. Yeah, I try to field the best team I can and I respect the integrity of the leagues I'm in. But at the end of the day, there are about 50 million things that are more important than how many TDs Rudi Johnson (or any other player) scored. I enjoy FF more now than ever, probably because I take it far less seriously.

So Chief - hang in there. Cut back on leagues. Take a year or two off if you want, FF will still be here. Enjoy life. :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I was thinking a similar thought this Sunday, with NFL ticket, it was TOO much...switching from one game to the next, wanting to watch my favorite NFL team, but also knowing that my fantasy players are on two other channels, and it was exhausting....

As I sat on the couch, I thought, "This enterprise has become huge, when will it peak and when will it begin to slide?" Yes, there are always new converts, and this will keep the game going. Maybe there is a life-cycle to this spectacle that is FF.

I started in '93 while an undergrad and the purpose of the league was to bring the guys around and spend time together, and through marriages and children, we have stayed connected through FF...from a redraft to a keeper to a hybrid of redraft-keeper-auction....but I have seen the families take priority, have seen the guys all recoil and focus on the things and people that matter the most...

During the off-season, there are some on the boards who live and breath FF, it can be scary; sometimes I laugh and sometimes I scratch my bald-head and ask in the same tone that Shatner used, "Have you ever been kissed by a girl? Move out of your parents basement." Simply put, go outside, throw a frisbee, LIVE life and stop with all the statistically analysis....for just one day....let it go...LOL....

Just before this season started, my best friend from high school said he was not playing b/c he was getting tired of people cheering for players and dissing their favorite nfl team...I salute his loyalty to the Raiders, but more importantly, I appreciate his honesty and conviction....

In 4 leagues this season, the most ever, I am not having fun....joined one b/c the needed an extra owner, and this is affecting my school work; I want to finish grad school before I collect retirement checks....instead of reading or studying or writing papers in the morning, I am on yahoo or foxsports or the huddle, looking for that extra to get me over the rest, to stay sharp and to win...

The draft is great anticipation and the day after the draft is so much like the days that follow Christmas, all the presents and are opened and I look and marvel and say, lookie and what I got, but it is over, the work to prepare for the best possible draft is over and now the season runs its course...

I have read all the responses to this thread, and this is not about whining, it is about self-awareness; what a person can manage, knowing limits, knowing when to pull-back and REprioritize...

This thread is bold, about speaking truth to one's self, to listen to one's heart, and to know when and where to put boundaries (G&S/blitz's idea on Sunday's)...

My only regret is that I did not have the courage to start this thread this past Sunday afternoon....

btw, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0 and 1-1....so this is not about a bad week....

The last couple have been tough. I've dropped a couple of leagues I really liked in order to try to stay sane. Also, I do what Blitz does ... and most weeks I don't really even watch much football ... just help w/ stuff w/ the family, etc...maybe get to watch some of the Sunday night game and/or some of the Monday night game. So, the past two seasons were more of me as a "fantasy football fan" than a "football fan"; this season it's more me as a "football fan" as I've watched more games two weeks into the season that I watched in all of last year (before the playoffs).

So you know, two seasons ago, I was in three leagues. That offseason, I dropped one (my shortest tenured league) and started one (the dynasty-ish league that Chief Dick is in).

Then, last season, I was in three leagues. This past offseason I dropped one ... my longest tenured league (8yrs) and now am down to two leagues. Now, the two leagues I'm in are pretty similar in terms of their set up, however each one has a very different cast of characters... That said, I've toyed with dropping it down to the one league I started last year (the one CD is in).

Thanks to all for the responses.

I've thought about the idea of scaling back, but the problem is where to draw the line. I currently play in:

1. Long time local redraft. This one is with my closest friends, and if I only played in one league, this would be it.

2. Local keeper league.

3. Dynasty league. This one is a BOTH league, and like the concept of the dynasty format. Also the most time consuming of all of them.

4. 32 Homers. Another BOTH league, and I like the unique format of it.

5. Local redraft #2. Just joined this one last year as a favor to a friend. I could easily drop this one after this year.

As you see, I am already in a diverse group of leagues. The second local redraft will definitely be dropped next year, but I hate to break commitments to the other leagues. I am one of those guys who will stay loyal to a decision forever, almost to a fault. Part of me feels I'm letting the leagues down if I decide to bail because I know how hard it is to find people who give a darn enough to be a good owner. And at best I consider myself a pretty active owner.

Theoretically I could drop the 2nd local redraft and the 32Homers league, which leaves me with three, all with different formats. But even the thought of three next year makes me cringe.

Glad to see that others have been though this. Maybe I just drop the 2 and try the three next year and see what happens.

i'd cut 'er down to #1 next year. i almost guarantee the enjoyment will come back.

I don't agree that cutting them down will save you that much time....unless you cut to only 1. I say this because I'm in 2 local leagues and 5 online leagues (most with complete strangers). The scoring systems are a little different but not enough for me to make drastic changes to my cheatsheets. Once I do the homework for one then two, the rest are already done. At this point, each league (realistically) only takes a few minutes every week. Combined, I spend time yes, but the same time would be spent on 1 or 2 leagues anyway.

The online leagues start the draft early and help me prepare for the "real" leagues that are my locals. I paid more attention this year to when certain positions emtied out and it help me be more patient while pounding wobble pops!

From time-to-time I get to the point where I'm burned out or don't care anymore. But then I realize it is one of the funnest hobbies I have going and it changes every year. I started when I was single and am married with a three year old and another coming next month. The time I waste is watching the games all Sunday long....but I found myself outside doing other things last Sunday and I really didn't care. You see, the game will go on and my players will score or not whether I'm sitting in front of the TV or not...and my job is done from the moment I turn my lineup in until Tuesday morning.

I recommend tearing yourself away from the bube tube one Sunday and doing something really enjoyable with your family. I bet you'll feel pretty good and refreshed. (take your cell phone with you so you can check the stats!!!) :D

Edited by Sharpie

I'm not sure why you have become such an ass about things,
stupid is as stupid does.

Or maybe he got grounded for not doing his homework because he spent too much time on FF?

Exactly what I was thinking. Man up for crissakes, or quit - who cares?

Since you bothered to read and respond, obviously you do sparky. :D

guys, i've been reading this thread and i must admit, i'm losing my enthusiasm for it. when i clicked on it, everything was fun and cool, but now by page 3, i must admit that the fire is gone.

"stop whining about it be a man blah blah blah"

:D

i have been playing fantasy football for 7+ years and still love the hobby like i did the 1st year.. even more so because i am considerbaly more knowledgeble in the sport and the game overall.

I think you just need to get your priorities strait.. in the end it's just a game and a hobby.

In my case i have a job that allows me to spend considerable ammount of time to check FFball stuff without taking away from my free time after work. But even if that was not the case, with WWW where it is now.. you can get all the information you want about any and all players/ injuries/ etc in a matter of 15-20min each day. There is really no reason to spend more time then that... and if that's not enough you can join a (*cough.. pusseh)paid site for like $30 that will analize your whole team/ matchup and oponents team and tell you what to do.

Also, i only play in money leagues... as i find that i tend to loose interest if there is nothing to play for.

In the end i think you have a case of buyers remorse.. if your teams where 2-0 you'd be here righting a long ass email about how much you love FFball. Man up, grab your sack.. and get back in the game .... or not ..i don't really care.

I don't agree that cutting them down will save you that much time....unless you cut to only 1.

Oh I strongly disagree with this statement.

I'm in 3 redrafter leagues, 2 keeper leagues, 2 full dynasty salary cap leagues, the Huddle's MVP Challenge and the Huddler Challenge II (similiar to MVP).

The full dynasty salary cap leagues are year round and 24/7.

Each league has a different set of rules, different starting lineups, and worst of all different dead lines (free agency, trading etc). Several of my leagues have a priority period where waivers are processed in some sort of worst to first order ... all process on different days of the week. One league is a blind bid process. Two leagues require open bidding on our message board with the possibility of blind bidding.

Then to top it all off I run the Weekly Blitz. Making matters even worse I am the commissioner of 2 of those leagues and the assistant commissioner of another.

Going into this year I fully intended to drop out of Hannibals, Late Bloomers, The Huddle Challenge III and to discontinue the Weekly Blitz. None of which happened.

It is just about certain that I will drop out of Hannibals, Late Bloomers, and The Huddle Challenge next season. It is also very likely I will drop out of Generation Lost and possible THE CORE.

I have NEVER left a league once joined, but I believe I have over extended myself AND my wife has made it quite clear that I'm in too many leagues.

I am in Paffl,Gen Lost, MSHB,4983, My local Stoney League, Huddle Challenge, WCOFF and a couple survivor pools. It's a game people, I do what i have to, to maintain my teams. After that i watch Football it isn't that deep, i don't spend any more time now than i regularly spend on the huddle all year around.

I play in one league that I spend 80% of my alotted FF time in, a 2nd that I spend about 15% and a 3rd that is purely for sh#ts and giggles that I spend 5% on. I couldnt handle 3 serious leagues. Also, I know its hard for obsessive types (me) to anything at less than full speed, but maybe you could still enjoy playing by spending slightly less time on it? Maybe just print a bunch of articles out every day and read them all in half an hour rather than poring over every piece of FF information on the internet. fire off a couple of trade inquiries to keep your blood pumping.

Less is probably more. I think thats the jist of most of the responses here.

Look, its a hobby and a great way to enjoy the greatest fan sport in the world. If its interfering with family life and obligations, well, that just shouldnt happen.

I personally cant wait until my sons are old enough (2 and 4 now) to get interested in football. Then it becomes part of family, not an impediment to it. I also play in a league with my brother so we get a chance to have fun together (even though we currently live 3000 miles apart)