[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Brady?

cre8tiff

I know, I know, they have only played two games. BUT isn't it looking to you that the Patriots passing game has become very pedestrian? I understand losing the receivers they have would have an effect. You have to wonder, though, with the effectiveness of the running game, is there incentive for Brady to pass more and up his numbers, or will they succumb to the Run, Run, Pass for the first down method of offense?

Not that I am thinking about dropping him, but Kitna outscored him in my league fer crying out loud :D

Any homers out there want to chime in?

Keep in mind that NE hasn played the Bills and Jets so far: two teams that aren't exactly offensive powerhouses and whose defenses aren't exactly lights-out against the run. There's no reason for Brady to throw the ball 40 times against those teams.

That's true. But from a fantasy perspective, his value is definately waning. He (probably) cost me a W last week and may have this week too (along w/Cadillac) if not for my receivers having a big day. I'm definately looking for a new starting QB (and to bench brady until he warms up). I can't be mad at his play though; he's a winner, if his #s reflect it or not.

That's true. But from a fantasy perspective, his value is definately waning. He (probably) cost me a W last week and may have this week too (along w/Cadillac) if not for my receivers having a big day. I'm definately looking for a new starting QB (and to bench brady until he warms up). I can't be mad at his play though; he's a winner, if his #s reflect it or not.

I took Brady at the end of the 4th round in my 12-owner keeper league. I figured that Branch would probably be back and, if not, Tom would be fine with Caldwell, Watson, Graham, and an aging Brown. But I don't really regret my decision. Brady's going to consistently give me 10-15 points every week and that's fine... what I was looking to avoid was a hit-or-miss guy like Plummer or Favre. I could've elected to keep Palmer, but that would've cost me the third-round pick that I used to snag Willie Parker.

I could've had Eli and, in retrospect, perhaps I should've taken him instead. But I didn't like his schedule as much, he threw way too many INTs last season, and Coughlin prefers a more conservative offense. Maybe I made the wrong decision and maybe not... only time will tell.

I took Brady at the end of the 4th round in my 12-owner keeper league. I figured that Branch would probably be back and, if not, Tom would be fine with Caldwell, Watson, Graham, and an aging Brown. But I don't really regret my decision. Brady's going to consistently give me 10-15 points every week and that's fine... what I was looking to avoid was a hit-or-miss guy like Plummer or Favre. I could've elected to keep Palmer, but that would've cost me the third-round pick that I used to snag Willie Parker.

I could've had Eli and, in retrospect, perhaps I should've taken him instead. But I didn't like his schedule as much, he threw way too many INTs last season, and Coughlin prefers a more conservative offense. Maybe I made the wrong decision and maybe not... only time will tell.

Exactly my predictament. I have the "took Brady over Eli" as first place runner in draft goofs for the year.

With the running game blastin on all cylinders, when exactly does Brady "need" to pass 40 times? I got Kitna on the bench and lord knows HE's f'n gonna have to pass!

With Maroney and Dillon running like they are combined with a solid defense and suspect receivers, I wouldn't trust Brady to take a fantasy team to the championship. Brady is the modern version of Troy Aikman (and BETTER in my view) in that he'll win games, but just isn't in a situation that lends itself to consistent blowup numbers.

With Maroney and Dillon running like they are combined with a solid defense and suspect receivers, I wouldn't trust Brady to take a fantasy team to the championship. Brady is the modern version of Troy Aikman (and BETTER in my view) in that he'll win games, but just isn't in a situation that lends itself to consistent blowup numbers.

New England has also played conservatively against two crappy teams. There's no point in whipping the ball dowfield against the Bills and Jets when one could easily just run the ball down their throats. I'd wait to see how Brady does against better defenses before making a final judgement.

As mentioned, the biggest factors so far have been that Brady has only faced the Jets and Bills - no major challenge there and no reason to throw much.

He now has the best running game he has ever had with Maroney and Dillon - lot more handoffs especially in the easier games.

He had only Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell at first but is getting Chad Jackson and Doug Gabriel involved now.

WIth DEN, CIN and MIA up next, the rushing game won't be enough to win. Particularly against CIN. It's still too early to give up on Brady - it's only been two weeks.

New England has also played conservatively against two crappy teams. There's no point in whipping the ball dowfield against the Bills and Jets when one could easily just run the ball down their throats. I'd wait to see how Brady does against better defenses before making a final judgement.

I am going by past history. The only reason New england went vertical last year was because they had the likes of Heath Evans in their backfield.

Now, they have Dillon healthy (kinda) and an amazing young buck behind him. There will be no Heath Evans experiment this year.

Take away David Givens and Deion Branch on top of that. I love Tom Brady...I think he's an amazing QB, a true winner and champion. I would take him over EVERY OTHER QB playing pro football today (except for Rex Grossman. :D ), but he just isn't a fantasy stud. Last year was an abberation because circumstances where what they were.

Now, if their backs all go down, their defense gets bad again, and they find a couple dynamic receivers, then Brady certainly is CAPABLE of putting up big numbers, but otherwise he's a QB#2 in fantasy in my view. People fell in love with his last years stats and ignored the previous 4 years. Love the guy, but dont want him near my fantasy team.

Another point I'd like to address is this idea that he played two bad teams out the block and Brady will NEED to pass it in other games.

THIS IS EXACTLTY WHY he isn't a stud....Peyton Manning will put up huge numbers in those games where he needs to pass and in those he doesn't need to pass. That is the way the Colts play, they play to score 40+ pts every game, their version of milking the clock is throwing it less than 30 yards.

So while Brady will certainly have his good games, he will have too many games where he nurses a 19-10 win. Palmer, Manning, McNabb aren't like this, because their general philosophy doesn't lend itself to 19-10 wins.

If your offensive philosophy is pass pass pass (Like the Eagles, Colts) or your defense just isn't capable of pitching shutouts (like Cincy) then you have the circumstances for a fantasy stud. All you need now is a good QB, which McNabb, Peyton, and Palmer are.

Brady is a good QB, but his circumstances and the underlying philosophy of New england make it where he will not be a top5 QB this year.

Now, if their backs all go down, their defense gets bad again, and they find a couple dynamic receivers, then Brady certainly is CAPABLE of putting up big numbers, but otherwise he's a QB#2 in fantasy in my view. People fell in love with his last years stats and ignored the previous 4 years. Love the guy, but dont want him near my fantasy team.

Actually, Brady put up pretty solid numbers in '02 as well. And nobody in their right mind would characterize him as a "stud" fantasy QB. And I disagree that he's a fantasy backup.

Given how weak NE's secondary was last season, Dillon's health, and that Maroney had trouble staying healthy in college, it's ceratinly possible that Brady could return to '05 or '02 numbers. But I wouldn't bet on it. It looks more like 3,400 yds, 24 TDs, and maybe 14 INTs. In other words, he'll be a solid, consistent Tier 2 QB.

:D I wondered if anyone would bump this thread. Surely enough, I guess I know now why he would "need" to pass 40 or more times. I could have hardly gone wrong with him OR Kitna this week. But I'm sticking with Brady, at least as long as thier running game looks like it did last night.

Now that Peyton better shape up or he's riding the pine!! :D

I see some hugh numbers from Brady this season. Looks like they might be playing from behind quite a bit, and with no receivers, other teams might just stack the box, and we all know Brady can handle himself in that situation. Receivers or not.

Loogie, you sig shows you're a damn liar. No one is fluent in Javascript. It's innermost secrets are beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

I don't suppose that anyone has considered that Brady was surrounded by a lot more talent than anyone gave NE credit for, and now that the talent has left in droves that Brady is nothing more than a solid/good QB?

Didn't think so......

Edited by Bronco Billy