[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You guys will not believe what I drank yesterday

billay

So I'm watching football with 2 friends yesterday. It's a little special as the 3 of us used to work together at a hotel, and when we did we NEVER got to hang out together. So we're enjoying this first opportunity to hang. We've ordered some pizza and the beer is flowing, until my boy pulls out a bottle of wine and asks us how we thik it will go with the pizza. We look at the lable and both our jaws hit the floor.

:D Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1985 :D

:lol::lol::brew::woot:

"85 Lafite, pizza, and football, needless to say, it was a good day

Edited by billay

Any tasting notes?

A touch of fruit on the nose, very well balanced, with silky tannins. Good legs, very little fade.

I was expecting a little more complexity on the finish, but it was fairly straight forward. Not that I have the greatest palate in the world, mind you.

It wasn't very complicated, just very good!

So I'm watching football with 2 friends yesterday. It's a little special as the 3 of us used to work together at a hotel, and when we did we NEVER got to hang out together. So we're enjoying this first opportunity to hang. We've ordered some pizza and the beer is flowing, until my boy pulls out a bottle of wine and asks us how we thik it will go with the pizza. We look at the lable and both our jaws hit the floor.

:D Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1985 :D

:lol::lol::brew::woot:

"85 Lafite, pizza, and football, needless to say, it was a good day

Tell your friend that there is pizza at my house next Sunday!!

A touch of fruit on the nose, very well balanced, with silky tannins. Good legs, very little fade.

I was expecting a little more complexity on the finish, but it was fairly straight forward. Not that I have the greatest palate in the world, mind you.

Right on. :D

You probably caught some oak/cedar as well. And not the kind some of you perverts are thinking. :D

I've had a few Chateau Lafite-Rothschild's and always picked up those notes pretty heavily. I went to an auction last year and they sold off some '86 for a hefty price.

God I love old Bordeaux. I tend to prefer other high end wines on the younger side, but Bordeaux just gets so damned sexy as it ages. I'm fortunate enough to have a really good client that I do dinners for who's got a freaking amazing cellar, so I've been fortunate enough to try a few over the last few years. My favorite lately wasn't nearly as old as you 85 but since it was from a so-so vintage probably tasted "older". He fired open a 93 Haut Brion that, while lacking abundant fruit just had nuance for days. At first smell you might have thought it was even cooked, but it was just the fact that it was so exotic. We served them side by side with a 92 Phelps Insignia which was much bigger and was holding its fruit but seemed sort of one dimensional next to it.

Of course, I prefered the 94 DRC La Tache that was poured at the previous course. :D

God I love old Bordeaux. I tend to prefer other high end wines on the younger side, but Bordeaux just gets so damned sexy as it ages. I'm fortunate enough to have a really good client that I do dinners for who's got a freaking amazing cellar, so I've been fortunate enough to try a few over the last few years. My favorite lately wasn't nearly as old as you 85 but since it was from a so-so vintage probably tasted "older". He fired open a 93 Haut Brion that, while lacking abundant fruit just had nuance for days. At first smell you might have thought it was even cooked, but it was just the fact that it was so exotic. We served them side by side with a 92 Phelps Insignia which was much bigger and was holding its fruit but seemed sort of one dimensional next to it.

Of course, I prefered the 94 DRC La Tache that was poured at the previous course. :D

I sooooo need to hang out with you. :D

I actually found a bottle of that at a small liquor store in St Louis when I was visiting there many years ago - I could believe it. Laying on the bottom shelf in back of some other wines - and get this - priced at $70. :D

Opened it with some close friends for my 40th birthday (let's just say it was a few years ago :D )

Absoluely outstanding ... or as my friend said "Good Stuff!"

Followed it up with a bottle of '94 Insignia :lol: