[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it too early to start thinking Matt Leinert?

scuba chuck

Is there an over/under line on when Leinert will get the nod? (He is on wire in my league) AZ plays StL and Atlanta over the next two weeks. I would consider picking him up if he is 2-4 weeks out to getting the chance to start. I don't follow shiny/warm AZ enough from frigid MN (it was 45 degrees this flippin AM)

I don't think he will get the nod until Warner either 1. goes down, 2. really screws up, or 3. gets the team so far ahead they can get Leinart some playing time.

#1 is unpredictable. Warner isn't exactly a model of reliablity, but they now have Edge providing a little extra protection. Depending on how deep your league is, it's up to you to decide if you can use a roster spot for a bench warmer that may or may not go down. If Warner goes down, Leinart's value jumps dramatically, but it still remains to be seen how well he does in real game situations.

#2 I don't think will happen. Look at his targets. And even if there was a decline in productivity or an increase in mistakes, do you really think Leinart is going to do any better right out of the gate. Sure their have been some good rookie quarterbacks. But there have been many more rookie quarterbacks that struggled their first few years before they learned the ropes.

If #3 happened, he probably wouldn't be worth the roster spot for very limited points.

At the earliest, Leinart will get the nod in week 10 after the bye-week (barring injury to him or Warner, obviously).

But I do think the starting job is his before the end of the season - as soon as the team is eliminated form playoff contention, which in the NFC might not be until week 14 or so. And I think he'll do very well once he gets in there.

Bottom line, in a dynasty or keeper league I want him on my roster right now and I'd be willing to give up some talent to get him. In a re-draft league, I'll gladly wait until next year.

I'm in a 12 team keeper league where we get to keep 6 players (7 next year, working up to dynasty), and I drafted Leinart this year as a handcuff to Warner. Definitely worth it, because I don't think the Cards will miss a beat if Leinart is forced into action.

If you're in a re-draft league, you probably don't need Leinart. But if you get to keep players, he's worth a flyer now.

I don't think he will get the nod until Warner either 1. goes down, 2. really screws up, or 3. gets the team so far ahead they can get Leinart some playing time.

#1 is unpredictable. Warner isn't exactly a model of reliablity, but they now have Edge providing a little extra protection. Depending on how deep your league is, it's up to you to decide if you can use a roster spot for a bench warmer that may or may not go down. If Warner goes down, Leinart's value jumps dramatically, but it still remains to be seen how well he does in real game situations.

#2 I don't think will happen. Look at his targets. And even if there was a decline in productivity or an increase in mistakes, do you really think Leinart is going to do any better right out of the gate. Sure their have been some good rookie quarterbacks. But there have been many more rookie quarterbacks that struggled their first few years before they learned the ropes.

If #3 happened, he probably wouldn't be worth the roster spot for very limited points.

Pretty much nailed it right there.

I do have Leinart in a few larger leagues, hoping Warner will succumb to #1.

Warner has gotten knocked around a ton in both games. Somewhat expected vs Seattle but got beat up by San Fran even tho he had a great game. Its going to continue. Still not much of a running game, and the O-Line shows no signs of being any better than last year.

Can't assume he's going to get injured, but I don't feel real good about his chances.

Warner has fumbled 7x so far - he only lost 1 (luckily) - but once he has a few 2/3 fumbles lost game they'll have to move on. The guy can't hold onto the ball.

Wow - I didn't realize he'd fumbled that many times.

He's like the Roman Gabriel of our time.