[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trading Waiver spots

MrTed46

Another situation in my local league.

We are taking a vote to see if it is allowed or not. I want to hear your take.

Player 1 has Waiver spot #1

Player 2 trades a player to Player 1 for his Spot

So, Player 2 will tell Player 1 to pickup "Ronnie Brown (just example)"

Then trade Ronnie Brown to Player 2 for "Ladanian Tomlinson (just example)"

These names are just examples

Is this allowed?

I don't have a problem with it since the two teams announced this was going to happen prior to Waiver Wire (without mentions of the disclosed pickup).

Edited by MrTed46

Another situation in my local league.

We are taking a vote to see if it is allowed or not. I want to hear your take.

Player 1 has Waiver spot #1

Player 2 trades a player to Player 1 for his Spot

So, Player 2 will tell Player 1 to pickup "Ronnie Brown (just example)"

Then trade Ronnie Brown to Player 2 for "Ladanian Tomlinson (just example)"

These names are just examples

Is this allowed?

I don't have a problem with it since the two teams announced this was going to happen prior to Waiver Wire (without mentions of the disclosed pickup).

So, Player 2 does NOT have a waiver spot available, correct? This seems perfectly acceptable to me unless there's more to this.

Do your rules state that you are allowed to trade waiver spots?

Do your rules state anything about waht can and can not be traded?

In my local, our rules clearly state that trades can only consist of players and picks for the current and/or next draft. No future considerations, etc. are allowed.

If your rules have no such clarity, than you are in a gray area, as the rules neither explicitly permit, nor do they explicitly forbid the trading of waiver spots.

I really don't see a problem other than that you might be setting a precedence in the league that you may regret in the future.

Let the two owners work the deal out between them, let the owner (I'll call him owner 1) make the waiver selection that owner 2 wants, and then let them trade after the players are awarded. Then you have them accomplishing the exact same deal, but you don't open up the can of worms of trading players for waiver wire positions. I could see that being a disaster in the future.

Just one man's thoughts...

I really don't see a problem other than that you might be setting a precedence in the league that you may regret in the future.

Let the two owners work the deal out between them, let the owner (I'll call him owner 1) make the waiver selection that owner 2 wants, and then let them trade after the players are awarded. Then you have them accomplishing the exact same deal, but you don't open up the can of worms of trading players for waiver wire positions. I could see that being a disaster in the future.

Thats what the owners are going to do..owner one is going to pick him up and then trade him the same day.

I guess they just disclosed this information to us to avoid conflicts in the future.

Good point. Like the Giants/Chargers Eli/Rivers trade.

Why did they announce it? I mean better safe than sorry but what is their logic?

Are they bypassing fees this way?

It seems alright but I would say if others assumed it wasn't allowed or similiar stuff isn't allowed and then it happens, it could cause some issues.

I would announce to the league that something like this doable before I just did it, as commish anyway. Giving everyone a chance to act.

Perhaps that is what they did.

In our league, you can't trade a player selecting during the initial waiver period (which has a priority) during the week you select that player. It is in our rules although the more I think about it, it's a silly rule since we do lose our priority spot when we pick.

If you don't have a rule against trading players shortly after coming off the waiver wire, let the trade go. If you think it's a problem or can create one, make the rule for next season.

Why did they announce it? I mean better safe than sorry but what is their logic?

Are they bypassing fees this way?

It seems alright but I would say if others assumed it wasn't allowed or similiar stuff isn't allowed and then it happens, it could cause some issues.

I would announce to the league that something like this doable before I just did it, as commish anyway. Giving everyone a chance to act.

Perhaps that is what they did.

No we dont charge waiver fees in this league. They just wanted everything to be on the up and up and not have problems later. We all agreed and they traded their players so everything went smoothly.

Basically all that is happening is the guy with the #1 waiver spot is picking a player, than taking that player and trading him to another owner. Perfectly within the rules, the fact that the guy trading a player off of his roster might've contacted the team with teh #1 waiver slot really shouldn't matter.

Something doesn't seem right here. But I think it might just be a case of fantasy waivers being a much different thing than real sports waivers.

Think about how the NFL and MLB work. If a player is put on the waiver wire, he has to clear through all the teams in the league before the first place team can claim him. So, the second place or third place team can "block" a trade by claiming a player before the first place team can claim him. So, in your situation, whatever team is trading up to the #1 waiver spot is circumventing all the teams ahead of him of their ability to claim that player. Seems a little cheezy. Usually, waivers are set up so that the teams lower in the standings get the first shot at whatever talent is available.

So, I guess there is nothing you can do about it. The team with the #1 waiver spot can pick whoever they want and then trade him to another team for whatever they want. But it does seem like the teams with the #2 or #3 picks are somehow getting screwed.

Again, I guess it's just a case of fantasy sports being different than real sports. I'd let it go through.