[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals at Steelers

Bengal Mania

I like the Bengals chances here, but less so since they lost 4 starters during the Browns game:

OUT:

OLB David Pollack - IR (broken neck!) - has hardly played anyway. Although he has (or had) the potential to be the best player in this list (a #1 pick afterall), I think he's the most readily replaced for this particular week.

SS Dexter Jackson - out (ankle) - this hurts. Better than they've had. Very good against run and the big play (read: Heath Miller).

C Richie Braham - out (knee) - this hurts too, more so because he calls the OL reads. His backup is pretty good, but Pitt has a tough defense to read.

KR Tab Perry - out (hip). Was the game clincher at Pitt last year, one of the best special teamers, and also getting pretty good in the offense.

MAYBES:

LT Levi Jones - probable. Looks like he'll play. Needs to.

WR TJ - questionable per Marvin today. He plays very good against Pitt, a big factor if he's in game. TJ is a bad ass.

WR Chad Johnson - probable (I don't even think he's on the list at all). Got mightily plunked last week, you don't think Pitt is gonna try to do the same this week? Actually, TJ is the better receiver against Pitt (since Pitt will double Chad)

OTHER NOTABLEs to Watch:

DT Sam Adams. very good so far. The DEs are already playing much better, in large part to his presence. Fast Willie isn't an inside runner anyway, so I'm not sure how much he'll help, but a good game by Sam will help the cause, for sure.

Bengals Depth - better than ever before, needed all of a sudden due to above injuries, but that's football.

RB Ruuuuuuuuudi - this guy is pretty dam.n good even being out an all passing downs. If he's running in the 4th Quarter, Cower is spittin' on somebody.

QB Carson Palmer - If there's a god in heaven, Palmer goes deep down the right side for a TD to Chris Henry on the first f'n play from scrimmage! (Of course, Pitt might be ready for that)

The result: Who knows. The Bengals seem to play better at Pitt then they do at Cinn against Pitt. Although they've got several injuries, they've got good players coming in. I don't know the status of Pitt's injuries, but they are a part of the game. Pitt's defense is absolutely top shelf, but so is Cinn's offense. I personally think that the Bengals DEF has improved a lot since last year, while I don't think Pitt's offense is as good as last year.

Early line says Pitt by 3, which (due to homefield standard 3 point edge) means its a "Pick 'em", so I will:

Cin 27

Pitt 17

I tend to stay away from calling any games 'impact' matchups this early in the season, but, this might be as close to one as you can see.

The Bengals have an opportunity to knock the Steelers down to 1-2 going into their bye week. This would have the Steelers climbing up-hill for quite sometime to catch the Bengals, and possibly the Ravens as well.

Of course, I am not happy with the Steelers loss Monday, but, am not as disappointed as some might think. Offensively, Roethlisberger and his receivers were clearly not in-synch. I'm not making excuses, as the Jaguars probably had a lot to do with them being out of synch, but, Ben's pre-season issues had him missing a lot of practices, which also helped lead to what we saw on Monday night. The one good thing that came out of it, is the Steelers realize that there is work to be done. When this has happened in the past, they have been able to focus and have come out with a chip on their shoulder.

The Bengals are a phenomenal team. Their defense looks improved, but, the Browns & Chiefs offense didn't exactly light it up in their other games either, so, I wouldn't put the Bengals defense in the top 10 just yet. However, with their phenomenal offense, they don't need their defense to be top 10, they just need it to be competitive. The Bengals offense is tremendous. Even a defense is good as the Steelers will have trouble stopping them. I've said before that I predict the Bengals win a Super Bowl within the next three years. I'm just hoping it isn't this year.

As for the Steelers offense being worse than last year, it would be hard to argue that after Monday, but, I fully expect them to get it back together. They lost Randle-El & Bettis, but, this offense is essentially the same. I look for them to show great improvement this week. Will it be enough to beat the Bengals, who knows.

Last year the Steelers went 2-1 against the Bengals, with the road team winning all three times. My prediction is that the Steelers, feeling like their back is already against the wall a bit, come out and play some motivated football in front of their home crowd, and hand the Bengals their first loss of the year.

I really do appreciate the rivalry this game has become and Sunday should be another battle. The Steelers have something to prove after Monday's debacle, and the Bengals are probably foaming at the mouth for revenge after the Steelers sent them packing last year. Should be a lot of fun. I do expect to see some points in this one:

Steelers 27

Bengals 24

:D

There are some statements I agree with in there:

"The Bengals have an opportunity to knock the Steelers down...."

"I am not happy with the Steelers"

"Roethlessburger and his receivers are offensive...."

"I'm....making excuses..."

"The Bengals are phenomenal..."

"....the Steelers will have trouble stopping them..."

"...the Bengals win a Superbowl...I'm just hoping..."

not sure if I got all those exactly right, but you get the essence

the rest is a bunch of gobbledy-gook.

Edited by Bengal Mania

There are some statements I agree with in there:

"The Bengals have an opportunity to knock the Steelers down...."

"I am not happy with the Steelers"

"Roethlessburger and his receivers are offensive...."

"I'm....making excuses..."

"The Bengals are phenomenal..."

"....the Steelers will have trouble stopping them..."

"...the Bengals win a Superbowl...I'm just hoping..."

not sure if I got all those exactly right, but you get the essence

the rest is a bunch of gobbledy-gook.

That's exactly what I got from his post.

yes indeedy, the battle for second place in the division. it should be a good game. to close to call. overall, i think the bengals are about 3 points better this sunday, but the steelers are home - so that evens things out.

Beat a real team, then get excited.

Go Bengals!

This is one that's tough to call - obviously Pitt at Heinz is always a tough nut to crack, but Cinci should be HIGHLY motivated.

Anything else I say would just be MORE of a rehash of previous points.

Seems to me there are a lot of potential "game(s) of the week".

To wit:

2-0 vs. 2-0

Jacksonville @ Indianapolis

Chicago @ Minnesota

Atlanta @ New Orleans

Divisional Rivalries

NY Jets @ Buffalo

Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh

St. Louis @ Arizona

Conference Tussles

NY Giants @ Seattle

Philadelphia @ San Francisco

Denver @ New England

0-2 vs. 0-2

Tennessee @ Miami

Washington @ Houston

Green Bay @ Detroit

Carolina @ Tampa Bay

Who gives a crap?

Baltimore @ Cleveland

Virtually every game this weekend has an intriguing storyline in how it effects the standings. The 3 matchup of undefeated divisional rivals strike me as the most interesting.