[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Retroactive scoring correction ... or not

Grits and Shins

Commissioner action on scoring error  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How should the scoring error be handled by the Commissioner

• Correct MFL, re-calculate week 2 only
    • Correct MFL, re-calculate weeks 1 and 2
    • Do not correct MFL until next year

Our published league scoring rules call for defenses to score 7 points for a shutout.

Background post

This week my opponent (I'm the commissioner) noticed that his defense (Jacksonville) did not get 7 points for shutting PIT out, as he lost by less than 1 point it will change the outcome of the game. MFL is not setup correctly to support this scoring rule.

Now if that was the end of it I'd simply change MFL and be done with it. However, another owner has noted that in week 1 his defense (Chicago) was not credited for shutting out Green Bay and with the 7 points he wins instead of loses. The owner that has a win become a loss in week 1 is not as understanding as I am.

A little research shows that MFL has not scored 7 points for a shut in our leage since 2002; i.e. in 2002 defenses were credited 7 points for a shut out but in 2003, 2004, 2005 and the 1st 2 weeks of 2006 defenses have not gotten credit for a shut out.

What do you do? Click the poll option you think is appropriate.

Uhm ... yeah .... whatever dude.

what the hell are you trying to do? get a bunch of people to tell you that you don't have to follow the rules that you set?

sure grits, it's ok to ignore your agreed-to scoring system because there was a glitch in the site. deny the rightful win to the other owner and keep it for yourself.

is that what fantasy football is all about?

shut down these discussions (2 threads?) and just do the right thing.

what the hell are you trying to do? get a bunch of people to tell you that you don't have to follow the rules that you set?

sure grits, it's ok to ignore your agreed-to scoring system because there was a glitch in the site. deny the rightful win to the other owner and keep it for yourself.

It's not MY win or loss that is the issue ... it's the week 1 game :D

I just had the same thing happen, but without the longevity: the league is in it's first year, and _I_ as the commish did not properly enter the scoring system, and as a result was incorrectly scoring fumbles. It was caught over this past weekend and there was never any doubt we had to play by the rules as agreed to. One game result was changed, and I fell in a 1.5 point loss.

But your league didn't catch it for years so I'd rule collective brainfart and fix it from the point you found out and moving forward from there, you can't redo 4 years of results.

But your league didn't catch it for years so I'd rule collective brainfart and fix it from the point you found out and moving forward from there, you can't redo 4 years of results.

prior seasons are a done deal, but we are only in week 2 here. you fix this year and have a season with no erroneous results. i wouldn't want a win that i didn't deserve and would not want to keep it.

absolutely without question.

That is the kind of decision that would tear a league apart.

There are many decisions that are made based on how many wins or losses your team has ... and you invalidate all the reasoning behind those decisions by retroactively changing scoring across all the weeks of a season. Will you also reverse all trades and let the owners reconsider them after the new win-loss records? How about teams that were out of the playoffs that were locked out of free agent moves then are now in the playoffs but were not able to make moves?

Dicks and Sh!ts is an idiot!!! I've been trying to tell you guys that forever. Finally he's really showing off his true colors. Just put him on your ignore list like he does to everyone else for moronic reasons. What an AZZ this guy is!!!!

There are many decisions that are made based on how many wins or losses your team has ... and you invalidate all the reasoning behind those decisions by retroactively changing scoring across all the weeks of a season. Will you also reverse all trades and let the owners reconsider them after the new win-loss records? How about teams that were out of the playoffs that were locked out of free agent moves then are now in the playoffs but were not able to make moves?

The people in your league would be better off not being part of your idiotic league with a half-wit like you as commish trying to run the show. Do them a favor and suspend yourself and let them go on in peace without you.

the league would be bogus to start with because all the scoring would be wrong. i'd fix it if i can and if i couldn't do it because too much time had passed, then everyone gets their $$$ back. game over.

Yeah, I think you have to go back and change the scores from week one as well. If it were me that had my win changed to a loss, I'd be upset, but I'd also realize that it wasn't really a "win"...it was a glitch in the set up that gave me the win. Hopefully, that person will be resonable and understand after the change is made. If not, then I feel bad that you're playing in a league where guys feel the need to take advantage of that to get their win.

Bottom line, change it for this year and be thankful that you caught it in week two and not thirteen.

the league would be bogus to start with because all the scoring would be wrong. i'd fix it if i can and if i couldn't do it because too much time had passed, then everyone gets their $$$ back. game over.

:D

Thanks for playing guys ... but it was all a sham ... forget the playoffs and forget that we had a season. What do you do if it is a keeper/dynasty league?

Our published league scoring rules call for defenses to score 7 points for a shutout.

Background post

This week my opponent (I'm the commissioner) noticed that his defense (Jacksonville) did not get 7 points for shutting PIT out, as he lost by less than 1 point it will change the outcome of the game. MFL is not setup correctly to support this scoring rule.

Now if that was the end of it I'd simply change MFL and be done with it. However, another owner has noted that in week 1 his defense (Chicago) was not credited for shutting out Green Bay and with the 7 points he wins instead of loses. The owner that has a win become a loss in week 1 is not as understanding as I am.

A little research shows that MFL has not scored 7 points for a shut in our leage since 2002; i.e. in 2002 defenses were credited 7 points for a shut out but in 2003, 2004, 2005 and the 1st 2 weeks of 2006 defenses have not gotten credit for a shut out.

What do you do? Click the poll option you think is appropriate.

In our league, the owner of each team is responsible for catching any errors to stats/scores. The owner then must submit/notify the corrections to the Commissioner prior to the start of the next weeks games otherwise the scores and outcomes are final. So in your case, the owner in Week 1 is SOL because he wasn't quick enough to catch his error. The Week 2 owner has been quick enough and should therefore be awarded the win based upon the recalculated points.

Edited by tosberg34

dude, recalc the scores and play by your freakin' rules ...

quit trying to use this site to justify you not going back and taking the loss that you deserve.

what is it with these types of geezers? Everytime I come to this forum some guy who wants an answer to a question always gets barraged with these types of responses? Why do you guys have to be jerks about it? What makes you so self-righteous? Just answer the question and be nice about it - give your opinion without being an geezer. The person asking the question is not personally attacking you, so why do you attack him?

COMMISSIONER RULING

Our rules specify that defensive shut outs are worth 7 points

Defensive/Special Teams Scoring

TD's 6pts

<200yds 3pts

sacks 1pt

safety 2pts

turnovers 2pts

shutout 7pts

This is cut and dried, defensive shut out are worth 7 points per our rules.

The fact that MFL scoring has not been set up to award this 7 points for defensive shutouts the last 3+ years does not make the existing rule invalid. 7 points for a shut has been on the books since at least 2002 ( http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2002/o...ns?L=00165&O=09 ).

Tommyknockers noted the error in our scoring this week as if he gets the points per our rules his changes the outcome of his game this week. The decision to correct the scoring for this week is an easy one.

ABearWith noticed that in week 1 had his defense been credited with 7 points for their shutout he would have won as well. This is where it gets tricky. I believe with the kick off of the first NFL game in a week all previous fantasy games and scores should be final. However, there is nothing in the rules dictating that scores are finalized at any time.

I believe it is early enough in the season to correct the scoring in MFL and in the previous week so that it agrees with our long published rules.

I did post this question on the main message board ( http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=170215 and http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=170253 ) and there is pretty overwhelming support for this ruling. In addition since my team is one of the ones moving from the win column to the loss column I hardly believe that Bangers can accuse me of bias.

Having made that ruling ... I believe an immediate amendment to the rules is required stating that fantasy scores and results are finalized with the KO of the next NFL game.

So if it was the week before our SB and a scoring error was discovered that would change several games and change teams that would have made the playoffs ... you favor making the retroactive correction?

But we are not talking about "a week before the Super Bowl"....we are talking about Week 2 of a new season. No reason to talk about "what-ifs".

Fix the scores as per your rules, plain and simple, before it gets worse.

The owner who is upset needs a flick on the head...does he really believe he deserves a win because the website is set-up incorrectly to handle your scoring system?

Edit: read your final post....good decision.

If the scoring rules were agreed upon ahead of time, and were simply not set up correctly in the website, then yes, absolutely go back and make the correction for all weeks even if it changes the outcome of past games (in fact, especially if it changes the outcome of past games).

I can't really think of a good reason to justify not making the change for both weeks 1 & 2.

It doesn't really matter if the owners that will end up with losses when they think they have won, will get mad. In fact, they have already lost those games according to your league rules. They need to deal with it.