[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Retroactive scoring correction ... or not

Grits and Shins

Commissioner action on scoring error  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How should the scoring error be handled by the Commissioner

• Correct MFL, re-calculate week 2 only
    • Correct MFL, re-calculate weeks 1 and 2
    • Do not correct MFL until next year

If the scoring rules were agreed upon ahead of time, and were simply not set up correctly in the website, then yes, absolutely go back and make the correction for all weeks even if it changes the outcome of past games (in fact, especially if it changes the outcome of past games).

I can't really think of a good reason to justify not making the change for both weeks 1 & 2.

It doesn't really matter if the owners that will end up with losses when they think they have won, will get mad. In fact, they have already lost those games according to your league rules. They need to deal with it.

Agreed.

Despite the fact it was in error in years past, it is early enough this year to make the change and have it set for the rest of the year.

In our league, the owner of each team is responsible for catching any errors to stats/scores. The owner then must submit/notify the corrections to the Commissioner prior to the start of the next weeks games otherwise the scores and outcomes are final. So in your case, the owner in Week 1 is SOL because he wasn't quick enough to catch his error. The Week 2 owner has been quick enough and should therefore be awarded the win based upon the recalculated points.

Same in my league......

My question is how could this go on "unnoticed" for 3 years???

what is it with these types of geezers? Everytime I come to this forum some guy who wants an answer to a question always gets barraged with these types of responses? Why do you guys have to be jerks about it? What makes you so self-righteous? Just answer the question and be nice about it - give your opinion without being an geezer. The person asking the question is not personally attacking you, so why do you attack him?

geezer?

So if it was the week before our SB and a scoring error was discovered that would change several games and change teams that would have made the playoffs ... you favor making the retroactive correction?

As someone else pointed out, it's not the postseason. We've barely even started. Even if it was late in the season I would have no hesitation changing past scores. Every week you try to play your best lineup. What you've done the week before or will do the next week has no relevance on the week at hand.

You have the opportunity to correct the problem early in the season. It would be impractical and unfair to change the past season's mistakes, especially if non-playoff teams drop out or otherwise don't submit decent teams during your playoffs. You asked/were appointed to be the commissioner and it's your responsibility that the rules of the league are followed.

If the official scoring wasn't posted somewhere for everyone to know what the rules were, then this might be a different issue. But, since everyone was aware of the rules, it needs to be changed.

The guy who deserves to lose the week 1 game has absolutely no right whatsoever to be upset. He won by a glitch in the system, and by the rules of the game, the other guy deserved to win. His team won by what everyone thought was the official scoring system.

I think you should change the scoring to match what the posted league rules say.

Your rules should have a weekly time limit for scoring issues, say every Friday at midnight, once that bell rings, scores are set in stone. It is the owners responsibility to notice errors. However, after Friday Midnight, not even Karl Rove can get the scores changed.

If your league doesn't have this clause, then it must be a free league, regardless, it's an amatuer league for sure.

So if it was the week before our SB and a scoring error was discovered that would change several games and change teams that would have made the playoffs ... you favor making the retroactive correction?

What's right is right. This would not have happened to me because I verify my score every week, but I think there needs to be more pressure from now on that your GMs verify THEMSELVES their final scores, but you have to go by the written rules!

And in case you didn't see it in the other thread, this is a rule from our rule book YOU MUST INCORPORATE. It will get rid of all your grief! :D

Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.'

And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--

Skip a bit, Brother.

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

Amen. :D

Good Luck Brah!

A little research shows that MFL has not scored 7 points for a shut in our leage since 2002; i.e. in 2002 defenses were credited 7 points for a shut out but in 2003, 2004, 2005 and the 1st 2 weeks of 2006 defenses have not gotten credit for a shut out.

What do you do? Click the poll option you think is appropriate.

Your league didn't notice such an obvious scoring error for over 3 frickin' years?

Up the ante for playing in the league, change any & all scoring rules to your benefit, collect your winnings for the next 3 years, and live large on a South Pacific island for the rest of your life. Geez, they deserve to be fleeced.

:D

Edited by Bronco Billy

Seriously, though. This is a very different case because it has gone on for so long. It's kind of like a squatter's rights type of thing - the squatters don't own the land, but they've been allowed to live there & work the land for so long that they acquire legal rights to it.

I think the same thing has happened in your league. The scoring rule for shutouts by a D hasn't been enforced for so long that no justice can be done by correcting the rule at this late of a date. Obviously no one in the league knew or cared about the rule for this long. Because the league has established such a long history of ignoring the rule, I'd say the rule no longer is actually existent or in effect. Precedence definitely matters in league issues, and your league has clearly established a precedence here.

Just leave the scoring the way it is, and the way it has been for over 3 years, with no points for shutouts for Ds, and if the league feels strongly after the season is over, you all can revisit the rule & make sure it is installed for next year.

Edited by Bronco Billy