[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who Dey? We Dey? Oy-vey!

The Misfit

This is just a cute little story I thought Menudo would enjoy. :D

from bengals.com

Bill Cowher loves to play video clips for his players.

One of his old assistants, a linebackers coach named Marvin Lewis, saw how well it worked and has made it standard fare on Wednesdays and Saturdays. This Wednesday, Lewis rewound the tape and showed his Bengals a clip of Cowher himself.

It is Bengaldom’s X-rated video. The shot of Cowher in the visitors locker room at Paul Brown Stadium after the Wild Card win leading his Steelers in a parody of the Bengals victory chant.

“Who Dey? We Dey. Who Dey? We Dey,” Cowher screamed, in apparent retaliation of the Bengals shining their cleats with Terrible Towels as they walked off Heinz Field with a win the month before.

“We don't need any motivation, but he said it, and you can't take it off tape; you can't erase it," said Bengals defensive tackle John Thornton. "Just like after we beat them up there, guys were wiping their shoes with the Terrible Towels, using it as a bib. It's give-and-take, but those guys, they took it a lot further than we did."

Lewis tried to laugh it off Wednesday (“I really didn’t get to see it”), and he tried to let Cowher off the hook. At least publicly.

“After the game in the locker room is an emotional part of the game. You’re out there grinding,” Lewis said. “It’s something their players probably picked up. Kind of like our guys with the Terrible Towel. There’s nothing to that. It’s a great tradition here, like the towel is over there. I don’t think it’s a big deal.”

But a big enough deal that Cowher made the movies. Lewis usually saves his best for the night before games, so maybe this Saturday he’ll have the tape of Cowher at the Super Bowl parade leading a quarter of a million people in downtown Pittsburgh through the “We-Dey” chant three times and then hissing at the end, “I love that.”

"You do things after a win that you normally wouldn't do, but he did it again after the Super Bowl win,” Thornton said. “I actually went up to a basketball game to see West Virginia play there, and people were doing it, so I guess their whole city likes Cincinnati a lot. We have to take it as a sign of respect."

Bengals reaction ranged from the disinterest of linebacker Brian Simmons (“I don’t think I lost any sleep over it”) to the ambivalence of Chad Johnson (all coaches talk trash) to the surprise of Bengals special teams leader Marcus Wilkins.

"I never played for Bill Cowher, but he didn't seem to be that type of coach to do something like that,” Wilkins said. “But I'll remember that, I'll say that. To me it seems more like they know we're a team that can beat them."

Johnson, who hadn’t seen it until the Lewis unveiling, called it “very rude.” But at the same time, as one Trash Talker to another, he didn’t mind it.

“They won the game,” Johnson said. “One of the things that we say is, ‘Who-Dey,’ so he just turned it around and used it as motivation for his team as they rode down the playoffs. No problem with it.”

A coach that trash talks?

“They all do it,” Johnson said. “It’s just that was caught on camera.”

But Johnson objected to former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis’s assertion that Pittsburgh ran on the fire of watching Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh wipe their shoes on the Terrible Towel after the Bengals win in Pittsburgh.

“It went beyond a win. It's one thing to win, but that took it to the next level; it became a grudge match,” Bettis said when he was here last month as an NBC analyst.

“Did they still lose?” Johnson asked. “They don’t remember that. That had nothing to do with that.”

Johnson suggested a touchdown celebration Sunday (and he’s only scored two in 11 games against the Steelers) would have a Pittsburgh theme. Asked if it would involve the towel again, Johnson said, “No, we'll probably save that for the second game.”

But everyone tried to make nice as much as possible Wednesday. The sheepish Cowher admitted, “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I've got a lot of respect for that organization, that football team. Like I said, maybe I got caught up in the moment. Last year is last year. It's a good football team. It seems like every time we play them it's a battle."

Quarterback Carson Palmer made headlines during the offseason for saying he hated the Steelers. Cowher took no offense. “I wouldn’t expect him to like us,” said the Steelers coach.

“Being the defending world champions, you have to respect them," Palmer said. "Even though they lost a game and showed some weaknesses last week, we respect them just like we respect every team. But they are our rivalry. They’re our big rival. I don’t think there’s a person in this locker room that likes the Steelers or roots for the Steelers or hopes they do well. We enjoy playing them.”

As Johnson said, “If we win, who knows what we’ll say.”

A quick version ...

If your rallying cry is going to be something as stupid as "Who Dey ?", it doesnt' take much to come up with the answer when you send them home for the year.

I must admit though, I cringed when I saw Cowher doing that, especially at the parade. Oh well, he got caught up in the moment. We might not ever know how the Bengals will react in such a moment.... :D

Edited by Menudo

If your rallying cry is going to be something as stupid as "Who Dey ?", it doesnt' take much to come up with the answer when you send them home for the year.

Yes,it doesn't quite have the highschool cheer ring of "Here we go Steelers,here we go"

Yes,it doesn't quite have the highschool cheer ring of "Here we go Steelers,here we go"

dont mess with tradition.. who dey is a stupid chant made up by the overly confident bengals players of this generation. they even tried to make their own version of the "super bowl shuffle" and failed miserably. i would be amazed if this things lasts after this current group of bengals are gone.

dont mess with tradition.. who dey is a stupid chant made up by the overly confident bengals players of this generation. they even tried to make their own version of the "super bowl shuffle" and failed miserably. i would be amazed if this things lasts after this current group of bengals are gone.

Now why would I want to mess with high school tradition?

Who Dey is from this generation?You're showing your youth.And your ignorance.

At least that chant isn't a question that has an obvious answer once you've been defeated.

Menudo....why do you lower yourself? These Bengal fans are not even on the same playing field as Steeler fans. How could they be? They have ZERO championships in their history. They should be whining with Seachick fans. At least they have something in common. They know how to lose. They have both ben doing that for decades.

Edited by Zeke 1982

Let us not forget that wonderful video starring Bootsy Collins that acted as the backdrop for several players on the Bengals squad reciting "Who Dey?" into the camera. That video was playing before the Cincy/Pittsburgh playoff game, but if I recall correctly, it ran immediately after the Bengals beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh during the regular season. It was not a rhetorical question--the Bengals wanted to know who could beat them. And last year, the answer was the Steelers when it counted.

Let us not forget that wonderful video starring Bootsy Collins that acted as the backdrop for several players on the Bengals squad reciting "Who Dey?" into the camera. That video was playing before the Cincy/Pittsburgh playoff game, but if I recall correctly, it ran immediately after the Bengals beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh during the regular season. It was not a rhetorical question--the Bengals wanted to know who could beat them. And last year, the answer was the Steelers when it counted.

That's an awful lot of bravado considering the bengals won the preceeding matchup, Palmer only played 1 play in that game and that 1 play was an 80 yard touchdown bomb.

No doubt that with Palmer the Bengals/Steelers game would have been different. To be truthful, Kitna had a good run during the first half. The Steelers just had it when they needed to have it.

I'm not saying anything that isn't true regarding the video. I don't take Palmer's comments or Bengal players disrespecting the Terrible Towel as anything more than reaction to a rivalry that runs deep and means more to its fans than it ever has. This year, it may very well be that te Bengals will win both games and the division. If that is the case, then clearly they are the better team. However, if the Steelers win, then they are the better of the two and towels and videos won't mean $hit.

Edited by Ruffian

That's an awful lot of bravado considering the bengals won the preceeding matchup, Palmer only played 1 play in that game and that 1 play was an 80 yard touchdown bomb.

Wrong.

At least state facts....he completed a long pass play, but, it wasn't 80 yards and wasn't a TD.

"who-dey we-dey"? is this video on youtube or something, i bet cowher looks like a complete wetodd with spit flying everywhere "WHODEYWEDEY!" :D

Yes, I found one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz50jqNcHRw

Enjoy. :D

Edited by Menudo

Menudo....why do you lower yourself? These Bengal fans are not even on the same playing field as Steeler fans. How could they be? They have ZERO championships in their history. They should be whining with Seachick fans. At least they have something in common. They know how to lose. They have both ben doing that for decades.

Which of us fans (Steelers or Bengals) are on a playing field at all?

Am I reading this right? YOu're saying The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY fans are much better because the Cowher-led The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY finally won a Superbowl after 15 years? Why does that make you better fans exactly?

If Marvin takes the Bengals to a Superbowl victory in less than the 15 years it took Sylvester the Cat, will that make us better fans?

For what it's worth:

I always thought the "Who-dey" chant was kind of dumb, even back in the 80's when it was invented. Nevertheless it was popular then (so was the Ickey Shuffle), and it is popular again.

I don't care that Cowher did what he did. When you win, you do what you want. The remedy is to beat them. If the Bengals win Sunday, no one has to worry what chant he does. Just check the wipers on the face guards, cause they're gonna get wet when Bill starts yellin'.

If Marvin motivates his team w/ a video of that and it works, great. Cower tries to do that a lot. I think it's silly for fans of either team to carry on this conversation.

Which of us fans (Steelers or Bengals) are on a playing field at all?

Am I reading this right? YOu're saying The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY fans are much better because the Cowher-led The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY finally won a Superbowl after 15 years? Why does that make you better fans exactly?

If Marvin takes the Bengals to a Superbowl victory in less than the 15 years it took Sylvester the Cat, will that make us better fans?

For what it's worth:

I always thought the "Who-dey" chant was kind of dumb, even back in the 80's when it was invented. Nevertheless it was popular then (so was the Ickey Shuffle), and it is popular again.

I don't care that Cowher did what he did. When you win, you do what you want. The remedy is to beat them. If the Bengals win Sunday, no one has to worry what chant he does. Just check the wipers on the face guards, cause they're gonna get wet when Bill starts yellin'.

If Marvin motivates his team w/ a video of that and it works, great. Cower tries to do that a lot. I think it's silly for fans of either team to carry on this conversation.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but :

1. The The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY thing is so weak and unoriginal, that I feel bad for the person who uses it.

2. You spent two sentences ripping on the Steelers & Cowher for taking 15 years to win a Super Bowl, the

organization's 5th overall, when you are a Bengals fan. :D

Other than that, its all good. :D

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but :

1. The The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY thing is so weak and unoriginal, that I feel bad for the person who uses it.

2. You spent two sentences ripping on the Steelers & Cowher for taking 15 years to win a Super Bowl, the

organization's 5th overall, when you are a Bengals fan. :D

Other than that, its all good. :D

1. Don't feel bad for me. Weak and unoriginal is all I have.

2. I'm not really ripping Pitt or Cowher (at least not really trying to), I was responding to a post that said Bengals fans are somehow less than Pitt fans for the simple fact that Pitt has won 5 Superbowls.

And by the way, I agree 5 Superbowls is very impressive. But 4 of those were a LONG time ago, not really relevant to the state of the organizations today (where Pitt is still a better organization in recent times). Hell, Cleveland won a sh!tload of championships years ago when Paul Brown was in charge, yet we don't have daily posts about how much better the Browns organization is than everyone else.

60-some yards and not a TD. I guess you were really watching that game huh? :D

1. Don't feel bad for me. Weak and unoriginal is all I have.

2. I'm not really ripping Pitt or Cowher (at least not really trying to), I was responding to a post that said Bengals fans are somehow less than Pitt fans for the simple fact that Pitt has won 5 Superbowls.

And by the way, I agree 5 Superbowls is very impressive. But 4 of those were a LONG time ago, not really relevant to the state of the organizations today (where Pitt is still a better organization in recent times). Hell, Cleveland won a sh!tload of championships years ago when Paul Brown was in charge, yet we don't have daily posts about how much better the Browns organization is than everyone else.

Agreed, comparing team's fans is silly. I've stated before, I think the Bengals win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years. I hope I'm wrong, but, I think they are that good. Take my word for it, when your team wins a Super Bowl, it is a lot of fun. I really do love the rivalry this has become. :D