[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahamn Green Questionable with hammy

Big Score 1

Well it sure didn't take Green long to get hurt did it? :D

The Green Bay Packers may be without the services of running back Ahman Green Sunday against the Detroit Lions. Packers coach Mike McCarthy today revealed that Green injured his hamstring in practice this week and was held out of Friday's session.

Green was unavailable for comment. He was not listed on Thursday's injury report issued by the Packers, but will be added to today's report as questionable, meaning there is a 50-50 chance that he will play.

"His hamstring flared up on him at the end of practice yesterday," McCarthy said.

The coach was not sure if Green will be ready to play on Sunday. "We'll know more in the morning," he said.

If Green, who gained 152 yards on 36 carries in Green Bay's first two games, is unable to play, Noah Herron and newly acquired Vernand Morency are the only other running backs on Green Bay's roster. Both will share in running the ball if Green is unable to play.

Herron has rushed three times this season for a total of 5 yards. Morency joined the Packers last week in a trade from Houston for running back Samkon Gado. He did not play any downs from scrimmage in Green Bay's 34-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints last Sunday, and returned one kickoff for 28 yards. But McCarthy said that Morency took all of the reps in practice on Friday and that he will be more involved with the offense against the Lions.

"I've been getting a lot of reps, just trying to get in tune with the offense," Morency said. "I think everything is going well."

Morency, a second-year pro, said he has worked with running backs coach Edgar Bennett early in the morning and at night to get up to speed with the offense.

"Our main objective is to put everything together and go out there and have fun," Morency said.

Herron has the benefit of working with the offense throughout the off-season and training camp. He led the Packers with 119 yards on 30 carries (4.0 per carry avg.) in the preseason.

www.packers.scout.com

But McCarthy said that Morency took all of the reps in practice on Friday and that he will be more involved with the offense against the Lions.

Not exactly unexpected, but this could still really suck, especially after already losing Domanick Davis. The only saving grace will be if Morency can step up if Green is out. Herron is still available, but I just can't bring myself to cut anyone on my roster to pick him up.

I would expect Herron to get the start w/Morency as the third-down back.

Man, that's not what I wanted to hear that from Packer homers. I just cut Gabriel for Herron. Gabriel hasn't done anything yet, and I don't really need any more WRs, but I'm thinking that he'll start to step up once he gets familiar with the offense, and he potentially could have made nice trade bait down the line. Oh well. Last year I had both Ahman and Davenport in 2 different leagues, and I even picked up Tony Fisher once they both went down. But after all that, I had to watch some guy I never heard of called Samkon Gado go off for someone else's team. While I doubt Herron will be worth much even if Ahman is out, I just can't let that type of thing happen to me again this season.

I would expect Herron to get the start w/Morency as the third-down back.

I would too. Herron looked pretty good in camp. Don't say this was expected. What was expected was the quad injury to return. That isn't what this is as far asI know. Does anyone think this is related?

I would too. Herron looked pretty good in camp. Don't say this was expected. What was expected was the quad injury to return. That isn't what this is as far asI know. Does anyone think this is related?

I listened to McCarthy's press conference. It doesn't sound like Green's hammy is anything that will keep him out long-term. He said it "flared up." Doesn't sound like a major pull, certainly not a tear.

He did go on and on about Morency, which leads me to believe that Morency would see significant action on Sunday. So although Herron may get the start, it's definitely a commitee situation.

Don't say this was expected. What was expected was the quad injury to return. That isn't what this is as far asI know. Does anyone think this is related?

No, the re-injury of the quad tendon was not expected.

All the reading I have done on quad tendon tears, is that once they're repaired, they're repaired. The chance of the same quad tendon being re-injured, is negligible.

Now I do know from my research on quad tendon tears, the leg that suffered the injury, is likely to be weaker.

So question would be, which leg suffered the hammy injury?

IF it's the same leg that suffered the quad tendon tear, then it MIGHT be correlated. However, a hammy injury occurring to a professional athlete is not exactly an extraordinarily uncommon event, so it could just be that Green tweaked his hammy, even if it is the same leg that he suffered the torn quad tendon to.

But worrying about Green's quad tendon itself being re-injured, is not that great of an issue according to multiple medical resources that I've referenced, regarding quad tendon tears.

All I'd be concerned about right now, is Green's hammy. :D

I listened to McCarthy's press conference. It doesn't sound like Green's hammy is anything that will keep him out long-term. He said it "flared up." Doesn't sound like a major pull, certainly not a tear.

He did go on and on about Morency, which leads me to believe that Morency would see significant action on Sunday. So although Herron may get the start, it's definitely a commitee situation.

From the Wisonsin State Journal, seems to point towards Morency being the starter:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...=100085&ntpid=4

"...If Green can't go, backup Noah Herron and recently acquired Vernand Morency would share the load, just as they did in practice Friday.

Herron said he got most of the work on third-down situations in practice Friday and expects to fill that role against the Lions, while Morency did the early-down work and might even start against the Lions if Green can't go.

"Every day, I prepare as if I'm a starting back so it won't be a big surprise for me on game day. That's just the nature of the beast," Morency said. "I think I'm fine (with knowing the offense). I'm just going in every day hitting the playbook. I feel very confident and very fast."

Morency came over from Houston in the Sept. 12 trade that sent halfback Samkon Gado to the Texans. Morency played only on kickoff returns Sunday against New Orleans but McCarthy had said earlier in the week that he intended to use Morency on offense this week.

"Morency's ready to go," McCarthy said. "He took all the reps today, him and Noah. We planned to get him more involved this week just at the beginning of the week, and so he'll be ready to go."

The more I've read this week, the more I see a 70%-Morency, 30%-Herron split. :D

McCarthy just seems a little infatuated with Morency, so I'd be surprised if he didn't get a lot of opportunities early in the game. Thus, I expect Morency to be in the backfield on the Packers' first play and I think Herron will only take on a "featured" role (:D) if Morency doesn't look good.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect either of them to have more than around 75 yards and a possible TD. Still, Morency is intriguing...for no other reason than it can't get much worse than the guys we've seen so far.