[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Class in middle school?

Todd1

A guy called Rush today and said his 7th grade son is taking a fantasy football class in middle school. They are learning spreadsheets, statistical analysis, math, writing, reading, etc. as they manage FF teams. Kinda interesting! Seems a lot better way to learn Excel (or Lotus or whatever) and math than just regular class.

Any of you 'Dad' types (or Moms) have kids learning FF in class? I didn't hear where this guy called from.

A guy called Rush today and said his 7th grade son is taking a fantasy football class in middle school. They are learning spreadsheets, statistical analysis, math, writing, reading, etc. as they manage FF teams. Kinda interesting! Seems a lot better way to learn Excel (or Lotus or whatever) and math than just regular class.

Any of you 'Dad' types (or Moms) have kids learning FF in class? I didn't hear where this guy called from.

Wild guess: California

lmao @ a "class" on FF. I guess he's prepping for an EA Sports Bachelors Degree.

I didn't think I'd hear of anything FF-related more completely 'tahrded and asinine than publishing a book on FF. Shoulda known better.

The caller stated that the teacher is using FF as the tool to teach statistics and math to the kids. I have no probelm with that as a good teacher always finds a way to get to kids. Now if he is teaching about gambling, then I would have a totally different view.

They should learn useful stuff.

What's not to like about learning how to use spreadsheets in applicable popular avenues?

How is this different than a teacher using an example of "two trains traveling at x and y miles per hour"?

Why not offer something the kids are interested in?

lmao @ a "class" on FF. I guess he's prepping for an EA Sports Bachelors Degree.

I didn't think I'd hear of anything FF-related more completely 'tahrded and asinine than publishing a book on FF. Shoulda known better.

You're a clown.

Being a (for the time being) Californian I can understand your comment. But this is not just one class in one school. It is being used in several schools across the country. It is NOT a class on FF. I've met the gentlemen that has likely written the textbooks the referenced class is using. It simply uses fantasy sports to teach mathmatics. By all accounts it's very popular with the kids (even the girls) and is a highly useful tool and the teachers love it.

You can find out more about it here.

To be honest new hires at my job (public accounting) don't have a clue how to use spreadsheets and we literally fire them after a few months. I believe accounting can be taught as you work but I wont sit there and teach a noob how to use a spreadsheet.

That class sounds great and will keep them interested.

Why? It's practical applications of basic stuff. They're probably a lot more apt to pay attention to something they're interested in.

^^^

A class specifically on FF would be inappropriate, but using it to get students interested in statistical analysis is a very good idea.

You just insulted DMD, WW, and msaint. Good job, d0uche!

^^^

A class specifically on FF would be inappropriate, but using it to get students interested in statistical analysis is a very good idea.

You just insulted DMD, WW, and msaint. Good job, d0uche!

Now THAT was funny. :D

What about the 90% who don't care about football?

90%? Care to offer some warranting backup information on this claim?

It's obviously popular with students, including girls. I couldn't imagine a 14-year old girl would care much about football, but it's getting them interested in learning how to use spreadsheets - a skill that is required in countless industries.

Please, quit talking out of your "other" mouth. Thanks. :D

Just saw this thread today. Another coach and myself started an after school "club" for middle school aged kids who were interested in FF. We meet every Wednesday for an hour and figure scores, make trades, etc. We don't have access to computers so we do everything the "old-fashioned" way, using newspapers and stats services. We have them do the research and math. When we started we had 10 kids (1 girl) who made the committment to come. Draft day was hysterical. (Yes, the other teacher and I have one team we're running and we're in 3rd thanks to Holt and S. Smith). It's the trading that has made the best learning situations so far. Kids love to interact and think they're pulling one on another kid. As commissioners we have the power to veto any trades but we haven't any yet. Since the season started we've had others say they want to join. So it's just a good time for all so far.

Excell, spreadsheets, meh. Let'em learn the good ole way first, like grandpa did.

And good teachers learn first that you can teach anyone anything if the learner is properly motivated.

Just saw this thread today. Another coach and myself started an after school "club" for middle school aged kids who were interested in FF. We meet every Wednesday for an hour and figure scores, make trades, etc. We don't have access to computers so we do everything the "old-fashioned" way, using newspapers and stats services. We have them do the research and math. When we started we had 10 kids (1 girl) who made the committment to come. Draft day was hysterical. (Yes, the other teacher and I have one team we're running and we're in 3rd thanks to Holt and S. Smith). It's the trading that has made the best learning situations so far. Kids love to interact and think they're pulling one on another kid. As commissioners we have the power to veto any trades but we haven't any yet. Since the season started we've had others say they want to join. So it's just a good time for all so far.

Excell, spreadsheets, meh. Let'em learn the good ole way first, like grandpa did.

And good teachers learn first that you can teach anyone anything if the learner is properly motivated.

That is absolutely adorable. I mean is there anything cuter than middle schoolers trying to make lopsided trades? Excellent idea Holy Roller. I hope the parents recognize what a healthy outlet that is for the children.

When I was in middle school, we did a mock stock exchange for a month or two in math class. It was fun to not just be doing word problems and helped us see practical applications of what we were learning. A big problem with teaching kids is that many complain about not needing to know what you're teaching them when they get older. Using devices like the mock SE and FF help by both drawing them in with something they find interesting and letting them see situations where grown-ups apply these concepts every day.

I'm a middle school teacher as well, and this sounds like a great idea. It's amazing how many students are in fantasy leagues with schoolmates. A large percentage of them play in leagues with their dads too which I think is great. I can definitely see how using fantasy football in the classroom can be very beneficial.

The idea to use FF as the means for utilizing the tools of general math, statistics, and quantifiable analysis is fine.

And, because it's not totally off topic, and it always make me feel better to say it:

Rush Limbaugh is a disgusting, self-gratifying, unctuous, greed-justifying, military-service ducking yet war-mongering snorting gas bag and partisan hack. :D

And go Bills!

So in conclusion:

FF in Mid School - OK :D

Rush - Evil :lol:

Bills - Not so bad. :lol:

Any vehicle that works to promote kids acquiring actual skills (be they analytical, statistical, whatever) is fine by me. Using fantasy football to attain those goals is not only not a bad idea - it's brilliant. How/why the educational systems still haven't completely caught onto the fact that appealing to kids' interests is the way to go, I don't know.