[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Simms in critical condition?

Skrappy1

Wow, this is a pretty strange update. I hope he's ok.

Chris Simms is in critical condition at a Tampa hospital with unknown injuries.

Coach Jon Gruden said he hurt his ribs, but didn't seem to know about severity of the injuries. Simms took a couple hard hits to his midsection and looked dazed to us. Simms did impressively come back in to finish the game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...port=NFL&id=318

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the full article from the Charlotte Observer. I'm watching Fox's post-game coverage, and unless I missed it, they haven't said anything about it.

Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition

STEVE LYTTLE

slyttle@charlotteobserver.com

Associated Press

Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms was taken by ambulance to a Tampa hospital Sunday afternoon and is listed in critical condition, according to reports by several news sources.

There is no indication as to the cause of Simms' medical problems.

He was hospitalized a short time after the Buccaneers' last-minute 26-24 NFL loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Simms appeared to experience medical problems during the game. He was hit hard several times by Panthers defensive players and was taken out of the game in the third quarter. Announcers said Simms had suffered from dehydration in the 90-degree-plus heat and high humidity in Tampa.

But Simms, a former University of Texas quarterback whose father, Phil, also played in the NFL, returned to the game this afternoon and led Tampa Bay on a fourth-quarter scoring drive. Observers reported that he left the field on his own power after the game.

Simms was not available for interviews after the game, as he was being attended by trainers and doctors.

At his postgame press conference, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Simms: "He got hit early and he hurt his ribs. We don't know the extent of that, but he played hard today. He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him.

"He is hurting right now, there is no question. He left the game. I don't know that it was because of his ribs, dehydration or both. He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good run defense.''

Simms, 6-4 and 220 pounds, is in his fourth season with Tampa Bay.

He was a standout at Ramapo (N.J.) High School and was named USA Today's National Offensive Player of the Year in 1998. He played four years at the University of Texas, although he never really earned the full-time starting job. Amid criticism from fans, Simms shared playing time with Major Applewhite.

He was a third-round draft choice in 2003 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Simms played a key role last season in the Buccaneers' run to the NFC South Division championship. He completed 61 percent of his passes for 2,035 yards, with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rolina_panthers

Edited by Skrappy1

Costas and Peter King talking about it on NBC right now. King says he is injured, but Tampa Bay's GM said that they can't say specifically until they notify his family, but that he is NOT in critical condition.

Edit: This is getting stranger and stranger...if he is not in critical condition, why do they need to notify his family before they confirm what is wrong with him? This is getting pretty scary.

Edited by Skrappy1

if he is not in critical condition, why do they need to notify his family before they confirm what is wrong with him?

I'll admit it's scary, but they might have to wait to say anything due to the HIPAA privacy laws.

Edited by wiegie

Guess Gruden will now have to give a better QB the start for awhile now.

Its not Simms fault the play calling and o line sucks. Im not saying he's played great, but its not like Grudens game plan is setting him up for anything other than failure.

And while there at it, they might as well bench Cadillac as well...

Nonsense I say.