[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dillon Out ? Marony In ?

GameOn!

Or, you could use the search function and dig up the many discussions on the subject.

I went back and read your posts on this topic.

In preseason, you seemed to make the point repeatedly that we should not get too excited about Maroney's preseason success because Bellichick would rely heavily on the HOFer (your words, not mine) Dillon. That he was hesitant to put rookies into situations where they have to carry the workload. And that, as a result, Maroney would not put up great fantasy football numbers this year.

Am I mischaracterizing what you said? Or, is that the basic jist?

Now, three weeks into the season, another member posts that he thinks Maroney will be LESS effective because he doesn't have Dillon to help carry the load.

And...you agree with him. Hmmmm :D

Should I go back and read more of your old posts?

Alright - it just seemed like you were trying to be difficult because you disagreed. If I was mistaken, my bad.

Nah - I have no vested interest in Maroney at this point, other than as a fantasy football and the fan of an AFC East opponent.

But I did see him in person last week against the Jets and I can tell you that the Patriots offense was clearly in a higher gear when he was in there. As a Jets fan, I held my breath every time Maroney touched the ball. He just looked to be a step or two quicker than anyone else on the field. And he didn't seem hisitant to lower his shoulder and try to level someone.

But I didn't stay up for last nights game, so I was curious to see if you had seen something different last night.

Thanks for the input -

In preseason, you seemed to make the point repeatedly that we should not get too excited about Maroney's preseason success because Bellichick would rely heavily on the HOFer (your words, not mine) Dillon. That he was hesitant to put rookies into situations where they have to carry the workload. And that, as a result, Maroney would not put up great fantasy football numbers this year.

Now, three weeks into the season, another member posts that he thinks Maroney will be LESS effective because he doesn't have Dillon to help carry the load.

That's not what he said, and that's not what I agreed with.

The point Ron Burgundy made was that Maroney would be an effective COP back while Dillon continued to carry the majority of the load. Injury was not mentioned.

I agree with this.

If you go back and look at Belichick's history and patterns when it comes to using rookies at skill positions, he tends to be cautious. He generally stays away from relying on rookies excepting when he is forced to because of injury.

Dan Graham's first season

Ben Watson's season last year (essentially his rookie year, after missing almost all of his rookie season with an injury)

Deion Branch's rookie year

David Givens' Rookie year

And while outsiders not having read the Brady/Bledsoe saga, you could add Tom Brady to that.

Interestingly, on the DL and on the OL he has not used Rookies in the same way, opting to integrate Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins into the rotation right away. I imagine this has to do with the relative complexity of the job and/or the likelihood that the player will touch the rock.

No rookie has breathed a hint of minutes at the LB spot, being the lynchpin of the Belichick defense from an execution as well as a mental standpoint.

At DB, there has been a lot of rookie play, but most of that has been due to injury. The lone exception to that was Eugene Wilson, and IIRC his starting at Safety was in the aftermath of the Lawyer Milloy episode.

Maroney has already been entrusted fairly significantly with opportunities to play in critical moments. While he hasn't produced greatly, he also hasn't made any major errors. The fact of the matter is that Belichick trusts Dillon, though. Expect him to be the main man when healthy. He's one of Belichick's 'guys', and he's playing with some fire after the drafting of Maroney hinted than maybe CD was over the hill.

There you have it. Read well...your last effort was not so good.

That's not what he said, and that's not what I agreed with.

The point Ron Burgundy made was that Maroney would be an effective COP back while Dillon continued to carry the majority of the load. Injury was not mentioned.

I agree with this.

If you go back and look at Belichick's history and patterns when it comes to using rookies at skill positions, he tends to be cautious. He generally stays away from relying on rookies excepting when he is forced to because of injury.

Dan Graham's first season

Ben Watson's season last year (essentially his rookie year, after missing almost all of his rookie season with an injury)

Deion Branch's rookie year

David Givens' Rookie year

And while outsiders not having read the Brady/Bledsoe saga, you could add Tom Brady to that.

Interestingly, on the DL and on the OL he has not used Rookies in the same way, opting to integrate Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins into the rotation right away. I imagine this has to do with the relative complexity of the job and/or the likelihood that the player will touch the rock.

No rookie has breathed a hint of minutes at the LB spot, being the lynchpin of the Belichick defense from an execution as well as a mental standpoint.

At DB, there has been a lot of rookie play, but most of that has been due to injury. The lone exception to that was Eugene Wilson, and IIRC his starting at Safety was in the aftermath of the Lawyer Milloy episode.

Maroney has already been entrusted fairly significantly with opportunities to play in critical moments. While he hasn't produced greatly, he also hasn't made any major errors. The fact of the matter is that Belichick trusts Dillon, though. Expect him to be the main man when healthy. He's one of Belichick's 'guys', and he's playing with some fire after the drafting of Maroney hinted than maybe CD was over the hill.

There you have it. Read well...your last effort was not so good.

Thanks. That was a good post.

You didn't have to end it with a personal jab, but I understand your frustration so I'll let it go.

Thanks. That was a good post.

You're welcome

You didn't have to end it with a personal jab, but I understand your frustration so I'll let it go.

:D I guess you missed the personal jab you put in your post...

If you want to throw rocks at people, you might expect to have a few lobbed back in your direction :lol:

You're welcome

:D I guess you missed the personal jab you put in your post...

If you want to throw rocks at people, you might expect to have a few lobbed back in your direction :D

Where is the rock in my post?

Edit to add: I'm really trying to be a better Huddle citizen this year! I really didn't mean to throw a rock, if I did throw one. I'm honestly interested in others' opinion of Maroney for one reason: I didn't see the game last night, but I did see his stat line which wasn't that impressive. But he looked mighty impressive last week in the Meadowlands. So, I'm interested in trading for him. So, I simply asked two posters to clarify their opinions on Maroney. If I came across as rude, then I need to work on my forum etiquette....again. If I challenge something you've posted, I'm honestly just looking for more meat to the story. When people challenge me in the same way, I do one of two things....I either vehemently defend my position, or I run like a scared schoolgirl.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go fix my pig tails.

Edited by Vet

I don't think that Dillon/Maroney should inspire the same type of pi$$ing match as say a Jones/Benson thread. They are both good backs who serve a specific purpose in the NE offense and it seems abundantly clear that, if they are both healthy, they will share the carries. This doesn't seem like a situation where NE is just waiting to sit Corey Dillon if he is healthy.

I have been making similar points since the start of TC.

Dillon will be 'the guy' in NE this year barring injury. Look out for Maroney to be big next year.

Sorry, but, so far you have been wrong. Not talking about last night's game, as obvioulsy Dillon was hurt.

In the first two games, their touches and production have been almost exactly 50-50.....

Sorry, but, so far you have been wrong. Not talking about last night's game, as obvioulsy Dillon was hurt.

In the first two games, their touches and production have been almost exactly 50-50.....

53% of the touched to Dillon, 47 for Maroney. I can't argue that it started out that way, I can only tell you as someone who watches the team pretty faithfully that I see it playing out differently. If Dillon keeps getting dinged, that will certainly skew the numbers, but Maroney's lack of production against Denver last night is evidence of the reason I see Dillon getting most of the work. This offense needs a reliable workhorse that they have faith in. Dillon is that. He brings confidence, game, and experience to the table. Of those three Maroney can maybe produce 2, but another performance like last night and he'll be struggling to rebound. CD has no doubts about his ability to be a playmaker.

But thanks for telling me I'm wrong. I have trouble reading game logs....

53% of the touched to Dillon, 47 for Maroney. I can't argue that it started out that way, I can only tell you as someone who watches the team pretty faithfully that I see it playing out differently. If Dillon keeps getting dinged, that will certainly skew the numbers, but Maroney's lack of production against Denver last night is evidence of the reason I see Dillon getting most of the work. This offense needs a reliable workhorse that they have faith in. Dillon is that. He brings confidence, game, and experience to the table. Of those three Maroney can maybe produce 2, but another performance like last night and he'll be struggling to rebound. CD has no doubts about his ability to be a playmaker.

But thanks for telling me I'm wrong. I have trouble reading game logs....

Nick, why does everything have to be personal ? You said early in the year that your prediction was that Dillon would get most of the work, with Maroney only being a change of pace back. So far, that isn't what has happened.

I should note that you didn't say it in a 'know it all fashion', if I remember right, you just said that you were giving your opinion based on what you've seen out of BB in the past. Nothing wrong with that....

I don't watch the Pats as much as you do, but, I really can't blame Maroney much for last night's running. He really didn't have a chance, as the running lanes were completely closed. Dillon is definitely better at making something out of nothing, but, I think even he would have struggled last night. I was still impressed with Maroney and his running ability after his catches. He is very physical and has pretty good speed.

I do agree that if Dillon is healthy, he will be used. This job isn't just going to be given to Maroney, unless he takes advantage of Dillon's injuries. Dillon still runs extremely hard and physical. I do think that Belichick will still keep it close to 50%, because with Dillon's style, it works out better for the team, imho.

Nick, why does everything have to be personal ? You said early in the year that your prediction was that Dillon would get most of the work, with Maroney only being a change of pace back. So far, that isn't what has happened.

I should note that you didn't say it in a 'know it all fashion', if I remember right, you just said that you were giving your opinion based on what you've seen out of BB in the past. Nothing wrong with that....

I don't watch the Pats as much as you do, but, I really can't blame Maroney much for last night's running. He really didn't have a chance, as the running lanes were completely closed. Dillon is definitely better at making something out of nothing, but, I think even he would have struggled last night. I was still impressed with Maroney and his running ability after his catches. He is very physical and has pretty good speed.

I do agree that if Dillon is healthy, he will be used. This job isn't just going to be given to Maroney, unless he takes advantage of Dillon's injuries. Dillon still runs extremely hard and physical. I do think that Belichick will still keep it close to 50%, because with Dillon's style, it works out better for the team, imho.

Who's being personal? I was being sarcastic...and no more personal than someone else is being jumping in just to point out that someone's been wrong to date :lol:

It's not like I hit you with the patented Swerski :D ... :D (no offense Bill :brew: )

This is why you have made my sig, young man. :lol:

Who's being personal? I was being sarcastic...and no more personal than someone else is being jumping in just to point out that someone's been wrong to date :brew:

It's not like I hit you with the patented Swerski :D ... :D (no offense Bill :woot: )

This is why you have made my sig, young man. :lol:

I was being sarcastic in the quote that made your sig. :lol: