[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bret Favre still has it..

aterry1979

I think I'd like to see him go for 300-3 against defenses a bit better than NO and Det before tossing another MVP his way.

That said, he is VERY much playing in the system and not making stupid mistakes; while his physical abilities have declined, he still has all the zip you need in his arm.

All-time ranking? :D Nah, he still doesn't crack my top 5. Or if he does, he's no higher than #5. Still damn good, though.

I think I'd like to see him go for 300-3 against defenses a bit better than NO and Det before tossing another MVP his way.

That said, he is VERY much playing in the system and not making stupid mistakes; while his physical abilities have declined, he still has all the zip you need in his arm.

All-time ranking? :D Nah, he still doesn't crack my top 5. Or if he does, he's no higher than #5. Still damn good, though.

Maybe, but in terms of sheer love of the game, showing his enthusiasm every week, Favre has to be the most enjoyable player I have watched.

Maybe, but in terms of sheer love of the game, showing his enthusiasm every week, Favre has to be the most enjoyable player I have watched.

I'd like to think the fact that McCarthy may actually be coaching him has something to do with it. He didn't quite have that fire the last year or two under Sherman/Rossley/Bevell.

True, but he isn't much below #5.

At playoff team with the soft scehdule he makes a good fantasy QB.

Potential candidate for Offensive Rookie of the Year perhaps?

:D

That trophy has Reggie Bush's name all over it. Jennings will have to have a season like Moss' rookie year AND hope Bush has a so-so 500 rushing/500 receiving year.

True, but he isn't much below #5.

At playoff team with the soft scehdule he makes a good fantasy QB.

Just to throw it out there:

1) Unitas

2) Marino

3) Steve Young

4) Johnny Bronco

5) usually had Fouts here, Favre might bump him

Just to throw it out there:

1) Unitas

2) Marino

3) Steve Young

4) Johnny Bronco

5) usually had Fouts here, Favre might bump him

My top 5 picks are:

1) Joe Montana

2) John Elway

3) Peyton Manning

4) Brett Favre

5) Dan Marino

How many of these guys was a 3 time mvp, won a super bowl, and by the end of the season be no.1 on the alltime td's list? Manning being listed ahead of Favre is assinine.

My top 5 picks are:

1) Joe Montana

2) John Elway

3) Peyton Manning

4) Brett Favre

5) Dan Marino

I'm sorry but no way does John Elway rank as number 2 overall, and I'll give you just one play that makes it so. No one should be listed anywhere in the top 5 all time when they hook slide on 4th down in the Super Bowl. No One!! That being said he had a great career.

My top 5...

1. Johnny U!!

2. Joe Montana

3. Bart Starr

4. Brett Favre

5. Dan Marino

As a pack fan, I'm homer'ing it!

How many of these guys was a 3 time mvp, won a super bowl, and by the end of the season be no.1 on the alltime td's list? Manning being listed ahead of Favre is assinine.

1) Unitas - 2 time MVP 3 NFL/NFC titles, 1 AFC title - 2 SB appearances, 1 win; finished all-time leader in completions, yds, and tds by almost a 2-to-1 margin; threw td in 47 consecutive games

2) Marino - MVP, lost a SB; currently no 1 on the all-time td list, has held record for over 10 years; 5000+ yds and 48 tds in 84 :D

3) Steve Young - abbreviated career so he doesn't have the gaudy stats; however, 2 MVPs, SB win, NFL's all-time leader in passer rating

4) Johnny Bronco - 5 SB appearances, 2 wins, 1 MVP; retired 2nd on the comp and yds list, 3rd in tds.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but these guys credentials are pretty impeccable.

Wow, Chavez -- I'm surprised at your rankings. I can get on board with Unitas and Steve Young, but there are plenty of flaws with the other guys.

Everybody listen up for a second...:soapbox:The streak of consecutive starts isn't just some "wow" number to illustrate how "tough" Favre is. The first thing EVERY team needs from its quarterback is to PLAY. Favre has been on the field for over 200 straight games. He has basically ENSURED that, at kickoff, his team is competitive in every game for over a decade. That's why the Packers have only had one losing season out of 15 with him as a starting QB.

In a league where every single game means so much, his streak of consecutive starts is the biggest reason why I have no problem succumbing to my homerism and putting Favre at #1 in my all-time QB rankings (albeit with a very narrow gap over the rest of 'em).

The other big reason? He's simply got the best combination of all the relevant factors in the QB-judging equation:

1. Ring? Check.

2. MVP? Check -- The only 3-timer (consecutive :D)

3. All-time stats? Check -- #2 in most major categories, and will probably be #1 in everything but yards. Very respectable career QB rating of 86.

4. Clutch factor? Check -- one of the best comeback QBs ever.

5. Respect for game? Check -- plays with unbridled joy.

6. Respect from team? Check -- his teammates would run through a wall for him.

As a GB fan, it feels good to have Favre at the top of my QB list. :lol: But, most of all, it's supported by solid reasoning. :D

:soapbox:

1) Unitas - 2 time MVP 3 NFL/NFC titles, 1 AFC title - 2 SB appearances, 1 win; finished all-time leader in completions, yds, and tds by almost a 2-to-1 margin; threw td in 47 consecutive games

2) Marino - MVP, lost a SB; currently no 1 on the all-time td list, has held record for over 10 years; 5000+ yds and 48 tds in 84 :D

3) Steve Young - abbreviated career so he doesn't have the gaudy stats; however, 2 MVPs, SB win, NFL's all-time leader in passer rating

4) Johnny Bronco - 5 SB appearances, 2 wins, 1 MVP; retired 2nd on the comp and yds list, 3rd in tds.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but these guys credentials are pretty impeccable.

1) Marino

2) Unitas

3) Favre

4) Elway

5) Young

It's hard to compare QB's from later decades (after the West Coast offense took hold and after the receiving rules were liberalized in the late 1970's) with the earlier eras. I'm not saying it can't be done statistically, but today's game produces gaudier QB numbers.

If we were to work on a top 10 and look hard at earlier QB's, names like Tarkenton, Len Dawson, and Ken Anderson might go in there. Maybe Staubach and Jurgenson too.

Edited by BadgerBacker

Wow, Chavez -- I'm surprised at your rankings. I can get on board with Unitas and Steve Young, but there are plenty of flaws with the other guys.

The list was responding directly to this:

How many of these guys was a 3 time mvp, won a super bowl, and by the end of the season be no.1 on the alltime td's list?

None have ALL those qualifications, but I don't necessarily put too much weight on the MVPs or SB wins as far as that goes.

It's hard to compare QB's from later decades (after the West Coast offense took hold and after the receiving rules were liberalized in the late 1970's) with the earlier eras. I'm not saying it can't be done statistically, but today's game produces gaudier QB numbers.

Sure, so you look at what other QBs were doing at roughly the same time - Don Hutson's career receiving #s of 480 catches, 7991 yds and 99 tds look pedestrian today (except maybe for the tds), but at the time they were double or even triple what the #2 career man had. Unitas' or Jim Brown's numbers at the end of their careers had much the same cushion.

If we were to work on a top 10 and look hard at earlier QB's, names like Tarkenton, Len Dawson, and Ken Anderson might go in there. Maybe Staubach and Jurgenson too.

The thing to look at and research is "was the guy CLEARLY a cut above the rest while he played?" While Tark and Ken Anderson were good QBs and obviously respected, I don't know that they were in the top tier, hands-down.

The thing to look at and research is "was the guy CLEARLY a cut above the rest while he played?" While Tark and Ken Anderson were good QBs and obviously respected, I don't know that they were in the top tier, hands-down.

That's what definitely lands Johnny U on many people's lists. He was about 20-25 years ahead of the rest of the league as a passer. He completely revolutionized the position.

That said, if you took both he and Marino in their primes and dumped them into today's NFL, I think that Marino would be a little better. His combination of arm strength, vision, and mechanics is unparalleled to this day.

That said, if you took both he and Marino in their primes and dumped them into today's NFL, I think that Marino would be a little better. His combination of arm strength, vision, and mechanics is unparalleled to this day.

I think that comparison is a bit specious - just about ANY of the HoF types from back when - even up into the 80s - wouldn't stand a chance in today's NFL due to the advances in strength and speed training and nutrition - and not just at the pro level, that stuff starts in HS, sometimes earlier. The old guys might be tough, nasty b*stards, but the guys playing the game now verge on super-human in terms of speed + strength.