[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Over-reacting Fans

Menudo

I'm getting my usual morning laugh from my favorite team's message boards this morning. I'm a Penn State fan and a Steeler fan, and the over-reaction that I see from these two fan bases is downright amusing. It seems you have two kinds of fans: 1) Pessimists - After every loss, they claim the sky if falling. 2) Apologists - Nothing is ever wrong. They always get cheated, were the better team in the loss, or can't see the facts. In both fan bases that I have experience with, their are very few that are in between those two extremes....some, but, not many. Here are some examples I saw this weekend:

Penn State:

- Won't win another game this year.

- Should give up on Morelli, and never play this kid again.

- Should put all young guys in, because this season is lost

- Should fire Joe Paterno

Steelers:

- Should bench Roethlisberger for Batch.

- Should bench Roethlisberger and bring in Kordell Stewart. (No joke, one guy was dead serious)

- Should fire Cowher

- Should start rebuilding

- Steelers will be lucky to win 2 more games.

It really is comical to see the over-reaction that takes place. I think over-reacting is the biggest mistake that fans make, and it is also the biggest mistake that new fantasy football owners make. They quickly forget about a player's track record, and base everything on the first few weeks.

Anyway, I found this pretty amusing this morning, and wondered if other's fan bases were similar.

It really is comical to see the over-reaction that takes place. I think over-reacting is the biggest mistake that fans make, and it is also the biggest mistake that new fantasy football owners make. They quickly forget about a player's track record, and base everything on the first few weeks.

Anyway, I found this pretty amusing this morning, and wondered if other's fan bases were similar.

Well, here it's mainly Badgers and Packers - and it's night and day, really:

- the Badgers' fan base mostly remembers the barren Don Morton era and Alvarez' first few years, so they are pretty patient. Part of that had to do with Alvarez completely resurrecting the program - though he was certainly open to criticism, no one EVER called for his head and everybody seemed to realize that he had a pretty good thing established. Since he's gone, though, I'm curious to see how much of a honeymoon Bielema gets - no reason UW shouldn't stay on their 8-win per season pace. Hopefully they don't Solich the poor guy.

- Packer fans are a different breed - I've been hearing people calling for Thompson AND McCarthy's heads - I'm like "hey, one guy's 2nd draft class isn't 1/4th of the way through its first season and the other has coached 3 games that matter"; obviously, GB at this point in time is far less talented than the Steelers, but most people don't seem to realize that - they think the Pack can sign two or three big name FAs and be right back into it. :D

I also get Chicago sportstalk up here; boy, do they have some gems down there. :D

I'm getting my usual morning laugh from my favorite team's message boards this morning. I'm a Penn State fan and a Steeler fan, and the over-reaction that I see from these two fan bases is downright amusing. It seems you have two kinds of fans: 1) Pessimists - After every loss, they claim the sky if falling. 2) Apologists - Nothing is ever wrong. They always get cheated, were the better team in the loss, or can't see the facts. In both fan bases that I have experience with, their are very few that are in between those two extremes....some, but, not many. Here are some examples I saw this weekend:

Penn State:

- Won't win another game this year.

- Should give up on Morelli, and never play this kid again.

- Should put all young guys in, because this season is lost

- Should fire Joe Paterno

Steelers:

- Should bench Roethlisberger for Batch.

- Should bench Roethlisberger and bring in Kordell Stewart. (No joke, one guy was dead serious)

- Should fire Cowher

- Should start rebuilding

- Steelers will be lucky to win 2 more games.

Actually Batch for Ben and the Steelers lucky to win 2 more games seem like good ideas....

:D

I also get Chicago sportstalk up here; boy, do they have some gems down there. :D

Good info here. Chicago sportswriters are almost uniformly vitriolic buffoons. Marriotti is one of the worst and he can count himself lucky Ozzie Guillen didn't physically attack him instead of calling him, er, ghey.