[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Batch 1-0, Roethlisberger 0-2

KevinL

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rothlisberger has never been a great QB (sorry Menudo, it's true)... he's always been just good enough to let the rest of his very talented team shine. Lately, he's not been able to do that.

I don't think Batch is the answer (he never has been anywhere else, why would he be now) but clearly Ben has to start playing better if the Steelers are going to do any damage in the league this year. I don't think he needs to be benched... but I do think that they rushed him back too quickly. Now he just needs to work through it.

Rothlisberger has never been a great QB (sorry Menudo, it's true)... he's always been just good enough to let the rest of his very talented team shine. Lately, he's not been able to do that.

I don't think Batch is the answer (he never has been anywhere else, why would he be now) but clearly Ben has to start playing better if the Steelers are going to do any damage in the league this year. I don't think he needs to be benched... but I do think that they rushed him back too quickly. Now he just needs to work through it.

While I disagree with the beginning of your post, and think that Ben was a great QB in his first two year, I think you are completely right with the 2nd paragraph. The bye week is coming at a good time.

I feel sorry for anyone seriously questioning whether Ben will be the QB of the future for this team. He has been awful so far this year, but, I still think people aren't giving him enough credit for the first two seasons. He put this offense on his back and carried them in the 3 road playoff games last year. So far this year, he has been simply awful.

While I disagree with the beginning of your post, and think that Ben was a great QB in his first two year, I think you are completely right with the 2nd paragraph. The bye week is coming at a good time.

I feel sorry for anyone seriously questioning whether Ben will be the QB of the future for this team. He has been awful so far this year, but, I still think people aren't giving him enough credit for the first two seasons. He put this offense on his back and carried them in the 3 road playoff games last year. So far this year, he has been simply awful.

Menudo, Ben will never be a great QB. That is not to say that he is a bad QB. I think he has a chance to be an above average QB once he learns the game a little bit better. If he was fortunate enought to be drafted by a very good team with a very good running game. Now the running game isn't what it used to be (I know the yardage looks good) but they do not have that drive sustaining short yardage back to replace Bettis. Ben is being foced to do more than just be a game manager, and thus far he hasn't risen to the ocassion, and honestly I have only seen one or two games in his carreer where he was anything more than a game manager. Now there is nothing wrong with this, and one day I believe he will be an above average QB, but he isn't there yet, and to say that he is is nothing short of blind homerism.

Menudo, Ben will never be a great QB. That is not to say that he is a bad QB. I think he has a chance to be an above average QB once he learns the game a little bit better. If he was fortunate enought to be drafted by a very good team with a very good running game. Now the running game isn't what it used to be (I know the yardage looks good) but they do not have that drive sustaining short yardage back to replace Bettis. Ben is being foced to do more than just be a game manager, and thus far he hasn't risen to the ocassion, and honestly I have only seen one or two games in his carreer where he was anything more than a game manager. Now there is nothing wrong with this, and one day I believe he will be an above average QB, but he isn't there yet, and to say that he is is nothing short of blind homerism.

Nothing short of blind homerism :D

This is a ridiculous statement. He doesn't get credit from some of you when he wins, but, gets full blame when he loses. His play has been awful this year, and you've seen the results, which really just re-iterates how well he has played in the past. Talk about the defense and running game all you want, the numbers simply do not lie, just as they don't lie about how badly he has played so far this year.

This argument is so old. I've watched every play of the Steelers since Roethlisberger has gotten there, and to say he hasn't won games for them is simply untrue. He won three big ones for them to get them to the Superbowl. He has been well above average to this point, but, so far this year, he is the bottom of the barrel.

Munudo, Ben Has yet to be in the top 10 in passing yards, or in passing TD's. He has only thrown for over 200 yards in 41% of his games. He has only thrown for multiple TD's in 46% of his games. Theses are not the stats of someone who takes control of a game. He is a game manager at this point in his carreer to say otherwise just isn't true. It is true, he hasn't made many mistakes, but in reality he hasn't been oppurtunity to make mistakes, which again attests to his being a game manager.

Steelers homer quote all the way here. Rothlisberger never put up great numbers. He averaged about 200 yards per game passing, which is hardly "great". What he did do was not make mistakes and be enough of a threat in the pocket that opposing teams couldn't stack the defense consistently. Really, his role over the last couple years has been to take care of the rock and let Pitt's running game and defense wear down opponents. There's nothing wrong with that--heck!--the Ravens won a Super Bowl with TRENT DILFER at QB, but lets not compare Ben Rothlisberger with a QB that can actually go out on the field and change a losing game to a win.

:D BRING ON BATCH...no no...TOUCHDOWN TOMMY :D

in all seriousness, PIT gave up way too much in the off-season. They're still a great team, and have every chance to make the playoffs where it really matters.

So much on the defensive side and Randel El, well, he was a very important part of the offense.

Also, there was that one guy..what's his name? The Greyhound? The Subway? something like that.

in all seriousness, PIT gave up way too much in the off-season. They're still a great team, and have every chance to make the playoffs where it really matters.

So much on the defensive side and Randel El, well, he was a very important part of the offense.

Also, there was that one guy..what's his name? The Greyhound? The Subway? something like that.

Oh, I don't know about that. I don't see Randle El and the D losses as a big deal. I think the critical factor is that the Jags and Bengals are better than last year. Pitt is in a hole for sure, but they dug their way out of one last year too.

Oh, I don't know about that. I don't see Randle El and the D losses as a big deal. I think the critical factor is that the Jags and Bengals are better than last year. Pitt is in a hole for sure, but they dug their way out of one last year too.

you don't see von olenhoffin or however you spell that crazy name as a big loss? First Plax goes, which was fine because he was cancer, and you still had Randel El, who also could play backup QB, then Randle El goes, leaving only Ward and a rookie out there?

Sure, the DEF is still GOOD, but lets face it, when Polomalu gets hurt, the DEF doesn't do that good a job. That's a scary thought. The D losses were A HUGH deal. any losses are big deal, but for the Steelers, a team known for D and running, losing your franchise hum-dinger RB, and some key players on D, and a very VERY dynamic player on offense...well, that can compound pretty quickly. As we're seeing now.

Gave up too much on defense ? We lost two players: Chris Hope, who was replaced by Ryan Clark, who up to this point has been better. Kimo Von Oelhoffen, who was replaced by Brett Keisel, who has done well against the run and is a better pass-rusher.

On offense, losing Randle-El, with his abilities on gadget plays & returns, and Bettis, who was valuable in grinding out the tough yards, are both missed.

As for the Ben argument, it has obviously been beaten to death. It depends what you look for. In this fantasy football age, people seem to be more impressed with yardage & TD totals. I tend to lean towards QB Efficiency and doing what it takes to get your team victories. There really insn't any reason to argue it anymore. I'll tell you this though, I'm just hoping to get back into that argument, because, when we were having it, Ben was leading this team to victories........... Lets also keep in mind that Roethlisberger is still in only his 3rd season, which seems to be lost when evaluating him, because he has had such a big start to his career.

you don't see von olenhoffin or however you spell that crazy name as a big loss? First Plax goes, which was fine because he was cancer, and you still had Randel El, who also could play backup QB, then Randle El goes, leaving only Ward and a rookie out there?

Sure, the DEF is still GOOD, but lets face it, when Polomalu gets hurt, the DEF doesn't do that good a job. That's a scary thought. The D losses were A HUGH deal. any losses are big deal, but for the Steelers, a team known for D and running, losing your franchise hum-dinger RB, and some key players on D, and a very VERY dynamic player on offense...well, that can compound pretty quickly. As we're seeing now.

No offense, but, based on your points above, you really must not be watching the Steelers much.

First, losing Von Oelhoffen has not had any negative affect at all. Check the RB's numbers against the Steelers this year. Randle-El hasn't been replaced by a rookie. Cedric Wilson is our #2, and the rookie is currently our # 4 receiver.

If you really want to say that the defense and running game are a problem, then I suggest you somehow find a copy of the games, and re-watch them. Other than the running game struggling against JAX, the defense and running game have been terrific. Don't be fooled by the Bengals TD's, both in the 2nd half came after turnovers. Palmer only through for 193, and Rudi only ran for 40-something. They did very well considering the offense they were going up against.

Gave up too much on defense ? We lost two players: Chris Hope, who was replaced by Ryan Clark, who up to this point has been better. Kimo Von Oelhoffen, who was replaced by Brett Keisel, who has done well against the run and is a better pass-rusher.

On offense, losing Randle-El, with his abilities on gadget plays & returns, and Bettis, who was valuable in grinding out the tough yards, are both missed.

As for the Ben argument, it has obviously been beaten to death. It depends what you look for. In this fantasy football age, people seem to be more impressed with yardage & TD totals. I tend to lean towards QB Efficiency and doing what it takes to get your team victories. There really insn't any reason to argue it anymore. I'll tell you this though, I'm just hoping to get back into that argument, because, when we were having it, Ben was leading this team to victories........... Lets also keep in mind that Roethlisberger is still in only his 3rd season, which seems to be lost when evaluating him, because he has had such a big start to his career.

I didn't make one single argument regarding Ben. I dont think he's doing anything wrong. He's human. Go figure. He not destined to go 1300 wins and 5 losses by the end of his hall of fame career. What a shock.

Now he's being leaned on more due to the losses on the offensive side of the ball, and QB who is efficient, and has been trained ONLY in the way of being efficient, is going to have a hard time adjusting. No biggie.

I think those losses are very critical, and could be the difference between a great defense and a superbowl defense.