[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson sucks

Big Ernie McCracken

The guy has to learn how to pass block, period. Teams aren't going to let the QB get pounded becuase a guy cant pass block.

He just has to keep his head up and work hard at improving that part of his game and his chance will come.

He's going to get his chance...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me either they are giving up on Benson or they are mismanaging their backfield. I suppose either could be true, but after over a year on the team and plenty of practice time plus a whole offseason, it's hard to believe they are not giving up on Benson. If they haven't, I strongly think they are mismanaging things. Benson is not a relief runner in style and he has a total of 88 carries over the last 20 games the Bears have played (Benson of course missed several games last year with the knee sprain). So in a year's time, he's had about the equivalent of three or four normal workload games for a running back stretched out over 14 games. He's not given the chance he or anyone else like him needs - I think they are giving up on him which honestly surprises me.

I'm thinking that despite the fact he's not getting necessary time there are other things at work that are preventing his use. Clearly, they're not sticking with "the hot hand" since TJ has been ice cold. I'm more thinking that they see their running problems are OL problems, not necessarily TJ's. In other words, they see no reason to put him in there if the OL is playing poorly at the moment in the run blocking area, which they are. Angelo, their GM, has a pretty large ego and what you cite - lack of playing time up to this point isn't enough to see of him to know to pull the plug on him, especially a guy he hand picked. Also from a team that put up with Curtis Enis (pre-Angelo tho). Then again, this could be a Billy Volek situation where the damage has been done, they've just wrapped it from the public.

I just think it's something else entirely, because a lot of what is getting said here is in a bit of a vacuum. Would they be trying to trade him? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to showcase him a bit. Are they trying to trade TJ? If so, wouldn't it make sense to know that Benson would be capable of taking over?

I think it's something currently unrelated, they're trying to "teach him a lesson" or it is simple mismanagement, which is something not foreign to Halas hall, unfortunately.

Anybody who watched the game yesterday and saw how much heat the Viqueens were bringing knows why Benson didn't get a sniff yesterday.

The Bears were one extremely bad block by a RB from a dead QB.

Exactly. I watched the game from the 40 yard line and Grossman was the beneficiary of some really good protection. The Vikings were bringing some serious heat.

To the earlier poster who mentioned about Benson getting his chance, I have to ask whether he wants it. He already has a stack of cash in the bank and as long as he's on the roster, he continues to be paid.

I'm thinking that despite the fact he's not getting necessary time there are other things at work that are preventing his use. Clearly, they're not sticking with "the hot hand" since TJ has been ice cold. I'm more thinking that they see their running problems are OL problems, not necessarily TJ's. In other words, they see no reason to put him in there if the OL is playing poorly at the moment in the run blocking area, which they are. Angelo, their GM, has a pretty large ego and what you cite - lack of playing time up to this point isn't enough to see of him to know to pull the plug on him, especially a guy he hand picked. Also from a team that put up with Curtis Enis (pre-Angelo tho). Then again, this could be a Billy Volek situation where the damage has been done, they've just wrapped it from the public.

I just think it's something else entirely, because a lot of what is getting said here is in a bit of a vacuum. Would they be trying to trade him? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to showcase him a bit. Are they trying to trade TJ? If so, wouldn't it make sense to know that Benson would be capable of taking over?

I think it's something currently unrelated, they're trying to "teach him a lesson" or it is simple mismanagement, which is something not foreign to Halas hall, unfortunately.

So to remedy the poor run blocking they're benching Benson :D:D

To the earlier poster who mentioned about Benson getting his chance, I have to ask whether he wants it. He already has a stack of cash in the bank and as long as he's on the roster, he continues to be paid.

Do you really think that one of the most productive college running backs of all time - against top flight opponents no less - is not bothered by being benched an entire game? All Benson has ever done is be a heavy use, full time back and I would be absolutely floored if he wasn't being tormented by all this. If you want to erode a running backs confidence and make him feel like he is a flop, this is exactly how you would go about it. If you want to send a message to the entire team that a RB is not worth developing, this is how you do it.

I sort of hope that the Bears are giving up on him because they are tearing him down and telling the rest of the team to ignore him as well. Benson appears to be in a situation that he is set up to fail even if he has the goods that he doesn't get to display. It would be somewhat defendable if TJ was tearing it up but he's been mediocre at best.

I think it is highly inaccurate to think Benson got paid and doesn't want to play. He's just in a situation at least partly of his own making that he's going to fail in. Maybe he'll end up like Jones, Ahman Green, Priest Holmes, etc.. where he eventually gets a shot on another team that he can take advantage of but in CHI, it looks like a lost cause by the team's preference.

Do you really think that one of the most productive college running backs of all time - against top flight opponents no less - is not bothered by being benched an entire game? All Benson has ever done is be a heavy use, full time back and I would be absolutely floored if he wasn't being tormented by all this. If you want to erode a running backs confidence and make him feel like he is a flop, this is exactly how you would go about it. If you want to send a message to the entire team that a RB is not worth developing, this is how you do it.

I sort of hope that the Bears are giving up on him because they are tearing him down and telling the rest of the team to ignore him as well. Benson appears to be in a situation that he is set up to fail even if he has the goods that he doesn't get to display. It would be somewhat defendable if TJ was tearing it up but he's been mediocre at best.

I think it is highly inaccurate to think Benson got paid and doesn't want to play. He's just in a situation at least partly of his own making that he's going to fail in. Maybe he'll end up like Jones, Ahman Green, Priest Holmes, etc.. where he eventually gets a shot on another team that he can take advantage of but in CHI, it looks like a lost cause by the team's preference.

Unfortunately for Benson his agent advised him to hold out and that snowball never stopped rolling.

I'm still waiting for your link to the "Benson+Lovie Smith go on a picnic" article :D:D

I provided a link. you didn't like it. I never siad I'd produce anything resembling your fictitious titles, but in fact produced a quote that I said I would.

I'm following DMDs lead: your pissing match is over.

Go clean your room.

He has been alienated by his teamates--they were taking cheap shots on him in camp.

He did flat out walk out on a pre-season game before the game ended, and he was ratted out by someone on the team.

He has been less than flattering of his teamates with the press, often speaking in terms of his lack of desire to prove anything to anyone.

Although you make a strong case in putting the blame on the team, and I agree with what you said...to not put any of this on his shoulders is being short sighted. He has been nothing but standoffish and ego driven since day one, and has never come across as the "team guy" that Lovie Smith has in his inner circle.

JMHO

I realize that you're a UT homer and a Benson fan, but I just don't see any justification in defending him. Benson's in this position mostly because HE put HIMSELF there. HE'S the one who decided to hold out for more money last summer and missed training camp (which caused him to miss significant playing time because he didn't know the offense). And when he did get on the field, it was HIS inability to stay healthy that took him right back off. And it was HIS mouth and HIS actions that alienated him from his teammates and coaches in training camp this summer. Not to mention HIS injury problems that sidelined him again at the beginning of this season.

While I agree with the notion that he Bears might not be handling the situation as well as they could (typical Bears), keep in mind that Jerry Angelo pushes hard for his high draft picks to start. Just look at Grossman. Most teams would've given up on Mr. Glass Jaw by now and/or started the more experienced and competent Brian Griese. But not the Bears because, God forbid, Jerry Angelo might not look so smart if one of his top draft picks doesn't pan out. I think it speaks volumes that Grossman is starting, but that Lovie chooses to risk pissing off his boss by making Benson ride the pine.

I really hope that Benson becomes an elite rusher at some point. But his lack of opportunities thus far are mostly due to one thing: Cedric Benson.

Lets crunch his #'s from the Minny game 0 carries for 0 yards and of course 0 catches for 0 yards. Sounds like the doghouse to me :D

True, but really I would love to be in the dog house like that and still get paid. Less than say 200 carries in a 2 maybe 3 yr period. Come out and have a killer yr 3. Save my body and look forward to that new contract coming. Since they screwed they self the first 2 yrs.

I realize that you're a UT homer and a Benson fan, but I just don't see any justification in defending him. Benson's in this position mostly because HE put HIMSELF there. HE'S the one who decided to hold out for more money last summer and missed training camp (which caused him to miss significant playing time because he didn't know the offense). And when he did get on the field, it was HIS inability to stay healthy that took him right back off. And it was HIS mouth and HIS actions that alienated him from his teammates and coaches in training camp this summer. Not to mention HIS injury problems that sidelined him again at the beginning of this season.

I agree with your assesment that he should have showed up to camp on time, but it isn't like he is the first early first round draft pick to hold out. It looks to me like Lovie is more concerned about showing everyone that he is in controll and don't cross him than he is with doing what is best for the organization. Saying that Benson is injury prone is just wrong. Did you see the hit he took on the knee. Most of us in the sky box during that game were saying he was done for sure. With regard with his shoulder injury, he was out less that Portis, and his injury wouldn't have happened had Lovie had controll of his team.

Benson was one of the best RBs in college football history, playing against some of the best defenses in the college game, and he was very successfull, when they kept feeding him the ball. That is what CHI needs to do, because Thomas Jones obviosly isn't getting it done.

I think it is highly inaccurate to think Benson got paid and doesn't want to play. He's just in a situation at least partly of his own making that he's going to fail in.

Maybe, maybe not. Most of us would give our left nut to play professional football. I have little sympathy with ANY holdout but this one in particular really pissed me off because I am a Bears fan first and foremost and it seemed to me and many other Bears fans that he didn't want to play for us. If he wanted to, he would have told his agent to do a deal to get him in to camp but with options to review based on performance or similar.

We have a history of not making the most of our draft picks, I am well aware of that, but as Bill S says, Benson is the author of his own demise if it actually ends up that way. Let's be honest, if the word from Halas Hall about Benson's popularity level is true, you have to say it takes real consistent effort to make yourself that unpopular, not just one thing here or there. This is a team that scraps for each other - someone perceived as outside the team is going nowhere.

I think this whole thing is now at the point of no return. Benson's only real chance is if Jones gets hurt and misses a game or two. Even then it would not surprise me much to see Peterson in the backfield.

I agree with your assesment that he should have showed up to camp on time, but it isn't like he is the first early first round draft pick to hold out. It looks to me like Lovie is more concerned about showing everyone that he is in controll and don't cross him than he is with doing what is best for the organization. Saying that Benson is injury prone is just wrong. Did you see the hit he took on the knee. Most of us in the sky box during that game were saying he was done for sure. With regard with his shoulder injury, he was out less that Portis, and his injury wouldn't have happened had Lovie had controll of his team.

Benson was one of the best RBs in college football history, playing against some of the best defenses in the college game, and he was very successfull, when they kept feeding him the ball. That is what CHI needs to do, because Thomas Jones obviosly isn't getting it done.

OK.

If they do that, he wil kill Grossman single handedly.

Then, he will kill Griese all by himself.

Ruptured spleen will be like a trip to the candy shop.

(1) Benson took his holdout a step further than most, holding out for a REALLY long time, leaking to the media that he was going to sell his house in Chicago, etc. Agreed that others hold out all of the time, but Benson did it rather tactlessly.

(2) I never said that Benson was "injury-prone." My point was that injuries have kept him off of the field for much of his tenure with the Bears, and that he can't blame anybody else for that.

(3) Being a prolific back in college and being a prolific back in the NFL are two completely different things. Ron Dayne held the NCAA D-1A rushing record when he left Wisconsin. And he went on to do jack squat in the NFL. Benosn is more talented than Dayne, but let's be honest here: Cedric doesn't have LT-like moves or Bettis-like power.

It looks to me like Lovie is more concerned about showing everyone that he is in controll and don't cross him than he is with doing what is best for the organization.

From where I'm sitting, Lovie has 22 guys battling their hearts out for the organization, coming off a hugh season and looking at another. To say that he should risk all this for an unproven RB that could get our QB killed and who is a real risk of being a cancer in the team is nonsense.

The onus is on Benson to change his attitude, be humble and declare that he wants to contribute - and mean it. Benson needs to mend the bridges, not the rest of the team.

From where I'm sitting, Lovie has 22 guys battling their hearts out for the organization, coming off a hugh season and looking at another. To say that he should risk all this for an unproven RB that could get our QB killed and who is a real risk of being a cancer in the team is nonsense.

The onus is on Benson to change his attitude, be humble and declare that he wants to contribute - and mean it. Benson needs to mend the bridges, not the rest of the team.

Wow, much better discussion vs. the first thread this morning. I tend to agree a little with everyone in this discussion. However I feel that this is the best reason to everything. he has alienated himself to some degree, there are players like this on all teams, CHI must have a close nit team that he's just not part of the inner circle, Lovie is not confident in his abilities or he would have at least sniffed the field lasst week, pressure or not and this spells disaster. I know Benson can play, i watched him play about every week in college and he was without a doubt in my mind the best RB in last years class, hands down. He went to the worng team, wrong situation, made things worse for himself and fankly I also now think he won't see the field unless TJ gets hurt or his contract is up. I can totally see him being a Priest Holmes or Ahman Green type of revival of career, however i think the Bears would have made a HUGH mistake, he's better than TJ and I think he could carry this offense if they would just let him, in similar fashion to the way that the Chiefs have and will use LJ this season.

When teams stack up to stop the run, you get...................hmmmmmmmmmm....good passing stats....Everyone and their dog knows that Chicago entered the season "committed to the run". You had to think that TJ or CB for that matter were gonna get stuffed quite regularly. Blocking has been TJ's strength (hell, look at the guy) and money man will never block like TJ. Never. He might break a nail.

I think that the Bears will stick with TJ until he goes down. He can protect Grossman and provide the threat of the run. It should open up for him soon as teams figure to defend against the passing game.

he's better than TJ and I think he could carry this offense if they would just let him, in similar fashion to the way that the Chiefs have and will use LJ this season.

I don't disagree with you. I think Benson COULD potentially be the workhorse RB. But it's not a case of the Bears "letting" him, it's a case of Benson having enough nous to become a team guy and showing that he wants to be a team guy. If he can do that, the sky's the limit and he'll find it's more fun as well as more productive to be on the inside than the outside. If he can't or won't be a team guy, the Bears should trade him and get what they can for him.

Side point....

Today, TJ has a 3.0 YPC average vs Benson's 2.8 YPC average. However, Benson's yards per carry vs TJ's must be put in perspective. Benson's carries have come at the end of games that were pretty well in hand. He faced eight and nine man front's during garbage time when the opposing defenses knew the Bears were just trying to run out the clock. There was no threat of pass so the defense's brought eveything up.

I would like to see what would happen to TJs and Benson's YPC average if roles were reversed. Let Benson benefit from Grossman's new found passing game. Let's see how Benson would do if he faced six man fronts at times. I would bet if given the starting workload and gameplan, Benson would average much more than 3 YPC...however, that is just this one man's opinion. Unfortunately, we do not live in my fantasy-land.

Here's hoping Benson get's his shot.

Side point....

Today, TJ has a 3.0 YPC average vs Benson's 2.8 YPC average. However, Benson's yards per carry vs TJ's must be put in perspective. Benson's carries have come at the end of games that were pretty well in hand. He faced eight and nine man front's during garbage time when the opposing defenses knew the Bears were just trying to run out the clock. There was no threat of pass so the defense's brought eveything up.

I would like to see what would happen to TJs and Benson's YPC average if roles were reversed. Let Benson benefit from Grossman's new found passing game. Let's see how Benson would do if he faced six man fronts at times. I would bet if given the starting workload and gameplan, Benson would average much more than 3 YPC...however, that is just this one man's opinion. Unfortunately, we do not live in my fantasy-land.

Here's hoping Benson get's his shot.

He was named the starter at one point in camp before he got hurt and TJ got healthy first. News today is that the blocking is the only real issue. I don't believe that. I'm holding onto him for a little longer. The Bears will HAVE to start running the ball and that's when we will see what the real situation is. :D

There is precendence for a situation like this....I'm going to compare the situation with TJ and Benson to other players in this same situation...now I am not comparing talents, merely the situations...

Think back to 2003...Jon Kitna had just had a year where he got a little run for league MVP, and had a damn good year (26 TD's almost 3600 yds, 87.4 passer rating), and led the Bengals to thrie first .500 season in like a decade or something...what happened the next year?

A guy named Carson Palmer took over, even though he had very little NFL experience at the time...honestly, Cincy homers, how did you feel about that at the time?

Think back to last year...Drew Brees had led the Chargers to a playoff spot the year before (in a year they were expected to be the league's worst team), and had almost as good of year last year as he did the year before? Where is he now? In New Orleans, while Phillip Rivers is QB for the Chargers...now I admit this example is a bit different with Brees's injury, but I fully believe, as a semi local of SD (I live in OC), torn up shoulder or not, he is not back in SD this year...

What do both of these situations have in common? MONEY....money talks, it did in those two cases, and it will in this case as well...

At least I hope so, as I am in bad need of RB depth, and if Benson gets in, it woudl be the depth I am in such desperate need of :D

Looks like this observation was pretty much spot on:

-- Benson Mopes Around --

Tue Sep 26, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Chicago Tribune reports with one notable exception, Bears players paraded off the Metrodome field Sunday after their 19-16 comeback victory the way one would expect a team to react after such an emotionally satisfying win. But the one exception, RB Cedric Benson, moped around so obviously that you wondered whether he could become a nuisance in a locker room led by veterans who will not tolerate distractions. The enigmatic running back lagged behind many of his teammates at pace reserved for the injured or weary. Benson was neither, having played not a snap for only the second time in his brief career. Looking at Benson's vacant expression, it was hard to tell if he was a member of the team that had just stolen a game on the road to remain unbeaten or the one that squandered victory. His body language screamed sniff, sniff. The contrast between Benson and his jubilant teammates was so noticeable that HC Lovie Smith, assistant Darryl Drake and team chaplain Harry Swayne separately attempted to raise Benson's spirits on the walk off the field. Later, as the locker room emptied, another senior team employee was huddled with Benson—a lot of attention devoted to an unused backup running back on a first-place team. It suggested how fragile Benson's psyche is and that the Bears know it. It also spoke to how willing they are to reach out to a high-maintenance player who doesn't know how to be a backup because he never has been one. But Benson needs to get used to it, at least this season. Bears coaches have offered the "flow of the game" excuse to explain why they stuck with RB Thomas Jones the entire game, but one theory is the Bears couldn't risk the dropoff in intensity by using Benson.