[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Draft questions

MrTed46

My and my friends had a debate yesterday. When a team drafts an NFL player is his base salary dependent on where he was drafted (eg 1 overall versus 20 overall)?

Also, when a NFL team drafts a player is that player committed to that NFL team for 1 year (automatically like a one year contract) or does the player have to negotiate a contract with the team before he plays for them?

Anyone know the process?

Edit: Sorry this has no relevance to fantasy football

Edited by MrTed46

My and my friends had a debate yesterday. When a team drafts an NFL player is his base salary dependent on where he was drafted (eg 1 overall versus 20 overall)?

Also, when a NFL team drafts a player is that player committed to that NFL team for 1 year (automatically like a one year contract) or does the player have to negotiate a contract with the team before he plays for them?

Anyone know the process?

Edit: Sorry this has no relevance to fantasy football

His salary is usually based on where he is drafted. Also know as "slotting" for negoiations. Certain positions can demand different salaries, such as QBs getting more money.

A player has to nagioate a contract before he can attend training camp or play in a game; but can attend pre-season mini-camps or workouts without a contract.

But a drafted player has rights for that player until the following draft if he remains unsigned.