[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Warner ready for the bench?

theeohiostate

Cards might bench QB Warner

Written by: Kent Somers ¦ 9/25/2006

Source: www.azcentral.com

Cardinals coach Dennis Green on Monday left open the possibility of benching quarterback Kurt Warner and starting rookie Matt Leinart Sunday in Atlanta.

"I've not thought about who the starting players are right now," Green said. "Normally, personnel is something we do on Tuesday." Warner played a part in four turnovers in the team's 16-14 loss to St. Louis Sunday, including a fumble at the Rams 18 with 1:41 remaining. The Cardinals were positioning themselves for a field goal attempt that might have won the game.

Warner also had three passes intercepted, including one in the Rams end zone and one at their 6-yard line.

Green declined to talk about the quarterback situation in detail, saying "I don't talk personnel on Monday. We'll start looking at things. We'll have a staff meeting and take if from there."

The Cardinals signed Warner to a three-year contract this year off-season and drafted Leinart with the 10th overall pick last April. The plan was for Warner to start every game this year, with Leinart spending the year watching and learning.

Warner started the season quickly, passing for 301 yards and three touchdowns in the victory over San Francisco in the season opener. He was named NFC offensive player of the week.

But he's struggled the past two games, both losses. The Cardinals scored 10 points last week at Seattle, a game in which Warner was sacked five times and fumbled on four occasions, losing one of them.

Warner has now fumbled eight times this year, and lost three of them. In pre-game warm-ups Sunday, two snaps to Warner from center Alex Stepanovich ended up on the ground.

"The ball shouldn't hit the ground in pre-game," Green said. "There shouldn't be a pass that goes on the ground. There is no defense, and when there is no defense you should be 100 percent perfect."

History shows that starting a rookie QB does not improve your chances of winning games. If they are looking to the future then starting Matt is fine. However, it is way to early for that, IMO.

I agree with your statement, but history suggests that rookie QB's are often inserted on horrible teams. This Arizona has as much talent on offense as many top 5 teams in the league. I don't think the team goes too far backward , if any, with Leinart at the helm.

As a Matt Leinart owner in my auction/dynasty I hope it happens soon... As an Edge and Fitz owner in said league, im not so sure.

Warner played awful Sunday, but I think 3 weeks in might be a little to quick to give him the hook. I think he starts again this week, although if he keeps giving the ball to the opponents, Leinart will take over.

Leinart could have done what Warner did Sunday.

I agree with your statement, but history suggests that rookie QB's are often inserted on horrible teams. This Arizona has as much talent on offense as many top 5 teams in the league. I don't think the team goes too far backward , if any, with Leinart at the helm.

Agree completely. 8 fumbles in 3 games, including one that lost them the game. yeah, i don't see how you could really go down too far from there. there have been examples of rookie qb's (big ben) or other players with no game exp (Brady) being successful. If anyone is ready to come in and play as a rookie it's leinhart.

With Edge, Boldin and Fitzgerald, all they need is someone at QB who can distribute the ball and not turn it over. Leinhart may not win games by himself, but he isn't going to put the ball on the ground like Warner. Remember, when Warner made his comeback with the Rams a few years ago, he fumbled like 8 times in his first game...and rode the bench for the rest of the year.