[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cardinals name there new stadium today:

Dbaxx

University of Phoenix Stadium. Yuck---! The Pink Taco would've been better than that! I know they play worse than a college team, but don't name the friggin' stadium that.

Edited by Dbaxx

That's an awful name...

One with zero football knowledge would think that that is where the University of Phoenix football team plays. And isn't U of Phoenix a 100% online education? If it isn't 100% it's pretty darn close...

It is awful! U of P has both online and live (I guess)...leave it to the Bidwell's to give a beautiful stadium a putrid name.

If the U of P is an online university, then do they have an official fantasy football team? :D

1.01 The guy that decided to get stoned everday during his sophomore year of real college, ended up working at Dairy Queen for a couple of years and decided to go back to get one of those computer degrees because everyone uses computers nowadays.

The local talk radio hosts are going nuts with the naming! People in town are calling in too just throwing haymakers at the Bidwells! If I were Univ. of Phx, I would feel like an rearend over this!

The local talk radio hosts are going nuts with the naming! People in town are calling in too just throwing haymakers at the Bidwells! If I were Univ. of Phx, I would feel like an rearend over this!

:D Dbaxx, that really sucks. I'm sorry, man.

Some funny follow-up from profootballtalk.com. Though I would have found it hilarious, I think "Pink Taco" would have been a horrible name for the stadium too. At the same time, I think U of P has the reputation as a cracker-jack prize degree. An all around "Lose" for the new Cardinal's stadium. It's like Porsche coming out with an SUV and calling it "Cayenne." I can't believe that in this day and age more reputable companies weren't in the running to get their names put on a shining new state of the art stadium like this one? But maybe they were? I don't know... Go figure... Most likely had everything to do with money...

POSTED 10:57 p.m. EDT, September 26, 2006

CARDS NOW LINKED TO Josh Gordon LEGALIZATION

Perhaps it's fitting, given the number of pro football players who unwind (either once in a blue moon or more frequently) by puffing on a doobie. But our guess is that it's just the latest example of a boneheaded business decision made by a franchise that has done little right during its long existence.

Multiple readers have apprised us that John Sperling, the founder of the University of Phoenix, is a major proponent of the legalization of Josh Gordon. (Google "John Sperling" and "Josh Gordon," and you'll see what we mean.) His company will pay $154 million over the next 20 years for the right to slap its name on the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium.

Sperling is still the Chairman of the Board of Apollo Group, Inc., the publicly-traded parent company of the University of Phoenix. Sperling also once funded a project to clone his dead dog, and he actively supports many liberal causes.

So, in addition to the fact that the Cards' decision could alienate the "real" universities that provide the NFL with a free farm system by legitimizing the University of Phoenix, the relationship gives the team (and, in turn, the image-obsessed league) a direct link to a for-profit company whose profits have been used for the spearheading of efforts to decriminalize Josh Gordon use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 8:15 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:49 p.m. EDT, September 26, 2006

NO PINK TACOS, AFTER ALL

Weeks after spurning an offer from the Pink Taco restaurant chain to slap its name on their new stadium, the Arizona Cardinals have sold the naming rights to their new digs for a whopping $154 million over 20 years to the University of Phoenix.

The deal has an average value of $7.7 million per year.

The "University" has 323,000 students, most of whom get their education over the Internet. It has no football team.

Frankly, we can't understand why the Cardinals turned up their beaks at the interest displayed by Pink Taco, but then jumped into bed with a company at which most college grads turn up their noses. Experts have characterized the school as having a "poor academic reputation," and have observed that the criticism of the University of Phoenix by traditional institutions has been "relentless."

In 2004, the University of Phoenix paid $9.8 million to resolve U.S. Department of Education allegations that the school threatened and intimidated its recruitment staff, pressuring employees to enroll unqualified students and taking steps to cover up the alleged misdeeds.

Apart from the stigma attached in some circles to the "University of Phoenix" moniker, we wonder whether the Cardinals (and the NFL, for that matter) considered the potential impact of the arrangement on the league's ever-tenuous relationship with the NCAA institutions from which pro football harvests talent. The NFL and its franchises usually bend over backwards to keep the "real" colleges happy; now, one of the 32 teams is allowing the scourge of the bricks-and-mortar institutions to gain instant national credibility.

The irony here is that the truly legitimate and credible business, Pink Taco, was rejected without negotiation presumably because the Cardinals deemed the name of the company to be undesirable. So instead the Cardinals hopped into bed with a business bearing a more vanilla moniker -- but that could do far more harm to the broader interests of the league than the "Pink Taco" label ever could.

Wow... spend Millions upon Millions of dollars on a stadium and then you end up turning it into a joke with a name like that.

It reminds me of that SNL skit where the one and only web address left for a bank was www.clownweeener.fart

Only the Cardinals had a choice.

As a UoP alumni (yes, they do have traditional classrooms in addition to online courses) and former AZ resident I am sort of :D about the name, :D about the cracker jack prize comment. UoP headquarters are in Phoenix, so this was a nice bone to throw to a local company. I love the Bird Bath idea.

As a UoP alumni (yes, they do have traditional classrooms in addition to online courses) and former AZ resident I am sort of :lol: about the name, :D about the cracker jack prize comment. UoP headquarters are in Phoenix, so this was a nice bone to throw to a local company. I love the Bird Bath idea.

I'm glad to hear that you support this fine university. The world needs more plumbers.

:D

As a UoP alumni (yes, they do have traditional classrooms in addition to online courses) and former AZ resident I am sort of :lol: about the name, :D about the cracker jack prize comment. UoP headquarters are in Phoenix, so this was a nice bone to throw to a local company. I love the Bird Bath idea.

my wife took post-grad classes there, too, when we lived in phoenix. her feeling was that it exists as a way for a lot of people to buy an MBA. of course, she never finished the program, so i'm not sure what we paid for. :D

I guess online advertising ain't what it used to be. Now going back to more traditional ways to spend money to promote. Like putting your name on the outside of an NFL stadium, where the clientele has to already have a good enough job (or work for a big company and get free tickets) to afford NFL tickets. Maybe they think the kids will say, "yeah, I want an online degree when I grow up."

Bill Bidwell is the biggest joke of a team owner that I have ever seen. I remember him from back in the St. Louis Cardinals NFL teams...he was such an a$$. I always had a hope that Conrad Dobler would get all liquored up and beat the crap out of him.

I hope a few million people will see the name of the stadium and wonder what "University of Phoenix" is and then they'll go look it up and then spend a few grand getting a degree that is essentially useless in the real world.

As an Appollo Group shareholder, I hope it I get a short-term pop out of it. But if this thing pokes it's head above $53, I'm gone.

Not to stick up for Univ. of Phx., but it's more than just on-line degrees. I took one class there--it was more of a cram course. I think 3 nights a week was equal to 1 month of regular college. ??? Each class only lasted around 5 weeks. I think I skidded outta there w/a smooth "C"...remember-"C's" get degree's...!