[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rod Smith -- suffered a concussion in Week 3

PaulOttCarruth

Broncos | Smith suffers concussion, day to day

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:07:44 -0700

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos WR Rod Smith (concussion) suffered a concussion late in Week 3's game and is currently day-to-day.

I could've sworn he was coming off a concussion suffered in Week 2. Can't find a link though. Can any Broncos homers confirm? I would think concussions on consecutive weeks could be cause for concern.

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos WR Rod Smith (concussion) suffered a concussion late in Week 3's game and is currently day-to-day.

I could've sworn he was coming off a concussion suffered in Week 2. Can't find a link though. Can any Broncos homers confirm? I would think concussions on consecutive weeks could be cause for concern.

He was and I read he was given a specil helmet. He had another concussion?

"After getting knocked out twice with a concussion last week, Smith changed helmets this week.

"They didn't give me a special helmet, I went in there and asked them for a different helmet," Smith said. "It's a different feel than what I'm used to. I've been playing with the same helmet my whole career. My thing is to find a way to stay on the field for four quarters and it worked. Because I took some shots and it did the job."

The Broncos also limited Smith's playing time, spelling him with David Kircus. Still, Smith had a game-high six catches, although for only 44 yards.

"I play an over-the-middle game," Smith said. "I play in a lot of traffic. I asked Junior (Seau, the Patriots' linebacker) why he hit me like that and he said he was trying to make a play."

If this is true, then Smith's brain is telling him it's time for another career! :D

I haven't been able to find where Legwold wrote game 3, and only found this which sounds bad.

"By Lee Rasizer And Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

September 25, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - There was a Revolution present Sunday night at Gillette Stadium. It wasn't New England's pro soccer team.

Broncos receiver Rod Smith, who was sidelined Sept. 17 after experiencing symptoms of a concussion but tested fine in a battery of tests during the week, wore a Riddell helmet designed to reduce the risk of head injuries with that name.

"It's designed to supposedly be better. And my thing is I need to play four quarters," said Smith, who all week had been reticent to discuss his health.

"So I'll wear anything," he added. "I'll wear some bologna under my helmet if it helps you stay in the game."

Smith has had three reported head traumas within the last year. The first came against Kansas City last season. He took a shot from Dallas safety Roy Williams at the Pro Bowl for the second, then experienced similar sensations against the Chiefs, first in the second quarter and then the third.(did he mean the 3rd quarter?)

Coach Mike Shanahan said Sunday night he limited Smith's repetitions because of that history.

"I can't argue with him," the receiver said. "I just work here and I'll do whatever they feel is best for the team. You always want to be on the field and the one making plays. My thing is the guys dug in and made plays, so I was happy."

Smith said everything worked out and he felt fine.

"It's probably as good as I'm going to feel," he said. "It's a brutal game. It's tough. And 13 years is a long time."

Gotta like his toughness, a true warrior as far as WRs goes. As a RS owner in several leagues I sure hope he can finish the season OK.

Wasn't he into that EAS stuff that romo was known for ?, perhaps theres a link between the 2? Either it makes you a seriously tough/mean bastage or weakens your melon or both :D . Just some idle speculation for the sheer he ll of it. :D