[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TOs Press Conference

Vet

Re: LeBatard

Regardless of his slant, the points in the article are still valid.

I'm not even sure I can agree with that. Sure, its hard to argue with his statements that things like this can quickly get clouded in rumor, and hearsay and spin out of control from what they really are. But the two things that jump out to me most when I read it are:

1. LeBatard says that he believes T.O. told the police he tried to harm himself only because he was so groggy and out of his mind from the pills that he didn't realize what he was saying. Fair enough, but then LeBatard says that there is no way he can believe that T.O. would have actually tried to kill himself, absolutely no possible way. Isn't that another contradiction? If he was so out of it from the pills that he would make a statement because he was completely without his faculties, couldn't you believe that he may have done something stupid to himself based on that same rationale? You can't have it both ways Dan.

2. This quote speaks volumes to me, even if I didn't know what I do about LeBatard:

"T.O. and I are in our second year doing a weekly radio show together..."

Like I said earlier, it seems to me that LeBatard really wants to get on the athletes' good sides so that he can hang out with them and be famous vicariously. I've seen him smugly brag about hanging out with people on PTI before. Also, his coverage and stance during the Ricky Williams thing brought him a lot of attention. It helped promote him as a sportswriter without question...I don't think I had ever heard of him prior to that. So maybe once again he is hoping to take a hard and opinionated stance that differs from most, and use that to his advantage. After all, once again he has a personal connection to the athlete in question, and maybe he hopes to again combine that connection along with his stance in the hope of milking the coverage and media-spots that he receives from them as much as he possibly can. If that's the case, it might make LeBatard a shrewd self-promoter. What I don't think it does, however, is make him a credible writer.

Edited by Skrappy1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, T.O. seemed to be missing a great deal of his normal swagger during the press conference, didn't he? He looked like he was about to cry at the beginning of it. I just seem to think that if the idea of a suicide attempt was so off-base, seeing how cocky and defiant T.O. is by nature, that we would have seen more of that side here...him brazenly laughing this off and saying "What are you crazy?!?" I don't know, maybe I am way off base here, but that is what I'd expect if there wasn't any validity to this at all.

I think this is probably a very good take on things. I did not see the conference, but I would think he would be coming out strongly "T.O."-like in his demeanor. The other thing that struck me about the posted takes on this here, was the comment T.O. made thanking the emergency personnel. If it was a suicide attempt, and he realizes how lucky he is at this point, that would be who I would be thanking personally and publicly - the people who saved my life and my $$.

I took a high-round chance on T.O. in two leagues, so I kind of have been avoiding the reports on this. I thought he would make it through most of the season, maybe into next year if the Cowboys had a nice season, before melting down again. Week 3? Dang...that's too early.

I think this is probably a very good take on things. I did not see the conference, but I would think he would be coming out strongly "T.O."-like in his demeanor. The other thing that struck me about the posted takes on this here, was the comment T.O. made thanking the emergency personnel. If it was a suicide attempt, and he realizes how lucky he is at this point, that would be who I would be thanking personally and publicly - the people who saved my life and my $$.

I took a high-round chance on T.O. in two leagues, so I kind of have been avoiding the reports on this. I thought he would make it through most of the season, maybe into next year if the Cowboys had a nice season, before melting down again. Week 3? Dang...that's too early.

If I had taken some combination of pain killers and "supplements" that caused me to become incoherent, I would thank the medical personnel that came to my aid as well. If it was a suiceide attempt, he wouldn't consider himslef lucky at this point. People don't try to kill themselves one day, then thank their lucky stars that they're alive the next day. People try to kill themselves because they are in pain and they see no other way out. They don't then run out and hold a press conference and thank the people that "foiled" their suicide attempt.

This whole thing is silly. It's either a sick publicity stunt or, more likely, a gross exaggeration of a rather benign incident. I think the latter is most likely. TO and his "publicist" don't strike me as the most emotionally stable people in the world, so I'm sure whatever happened last night was exaggerated to the Nth degree and the police report probably reflects (more or less) what the cops were told by this crazy woman and her crazy client.

Now the media feels obligated to throw their uninformed opinions out there and we eat it up like maple syrup and then regurgitate it here.

This is a clusterfudge.

People don't try to kill themselves one day, then thank their lucky stars that they're alive the next day.

Someone who is bi-polar might.

TO and his "publicist" don't strike me as the most emotionally stable people in the world, so I'm sure whatever happened last night was exaggerated to the Nth degree and the police report probably reflects (more or less) what the cops were told by this crazy woman and her crazy client.

No doubt.

Someone who is bi-polar might.

Your Mileage May Vary...but in my experience, most people with bipolar disorder don't cycle that rapidly. Someone depressed enough to be suicidal doesn't just shake it off. This reeks of other issues to me...especially the 'supplements in the drawer' schtick. Very fishy. We've just taken attention seeking to a whole new level.

Why would someone take their pills out of their bottle to just place them in a drawer somewhere? I'm sorry, but that really doesn't make much sense.

Because he has another pill box....where he places enough in it for him to take for the day.......check with anyone who takes more then one type of pill ....this is common practice

Because he has another pill box....where he places enough in it for him to take for the day.......check with anyone who takes more then one type of pill ....this is common practice

That could be the most logical, well-reasoned, articulate post on the board today. Simple yet profound.

Prepare to catch oh poopy for it!

That could be the most logical, well-reasoned, articulate post on the board today. Simple yet profound.

Prepare to catch oh poopy for it!

Except he also said the pills were in a drawer. If you would put pills in a pillbox you wouldn't need them all.

Rod on NFL Network to Deion-

"What did TO say when you asked him if he tried to kill himself?"

Deion-"I never asked." :D

Nice investigative reporter.

For my own peace of mind, I'm going to buy everything I have heard. T.O. might have a lot of character flaws, but he isn't really known as a liar. If anything, he seems to be brutally honest with disregard as to the repercussions from his statements. And he answered the questions. We'll never know for sure, but I'm buying T.O.'s story.

Nothing to see here. Back to football.

I might be able to buy TO's part of it, but, then his publicist got to the microphone. She is lying and covering up. Did you say he was depresessed ? Uh, well, um, I don't remember or, um, think, I said that. It is claimed that you pulled pills from his mouth, is that true ? Well, um, it's been a long day, and I really don't remember anything.

Listen, T.O. might have had some kind of issues from the medication, so saying he dosn't remember or wasn't aware enough to have his answers trused is fine, but, this woman can't remember anything that she did less than 24 hours ago ? She was lying and covering up, no question about it.

I might be able to buy TO's part of it, but, then his publicist got to the microphone. She is lying and covering up. Did you say he was depresessed ? Uh, well, um, I don't remember or, um, think, I said that. It is claimed that you pulled pills from his mouth, is that true ? Well, um, it's been a long day, and I really don't remember anything.

Listen, T.O. might have had some kind of issues from the medication, so saying he dosn't remember or wasn't aware enough to have his answers trused is fine, but, this woman can't remember anything that she did less than 24 hours ago ? She was lying and covering up, no question about it.

my thoughts exactly after watching her Menudo.If she took pills out of TO's mouth she'd remember it for the rest of her life.

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. I think T.O. told what happened from his viewpoint, but she was a mess. But I don't think there is anything sinister to it other than the fact that she is spinning instead of just telling it like it was.

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. I think T.O. told what happened from his viewpoint, but she was a mess. But I don't think there is anything sinister to it other than the fact that she is spinning instead of just telling it like it was.

Yeah, even know it was obvious she was spinning, I really don't know what really happened, and I probably never will.....

I just got finished reading the T.O. article in the Sept. 11th 2006 ESPN the magazine issue. :D I had know idea what this guy went through. The article virtually predicted a crash ending to this guy. I tell you what...I firmly believe TO is a good guy. He might be a jackass in many's eyes but I think that those people'S "opinion" geniunely hurts him, mentally, for looking at him that way. My lil' brother reminds me of TO. He was a super star athlete that played several positions in college as a freshman, but with a few bad decisions he fell and never recovered mentally. TO is THE specimen among specimen and the scrutiny he has endured, when I considered his past scrutiny, is a lot. The media takes people down...they have decked almost every celeb, politician, and athlete. These "people"/celebs can hardly be themselves. Sure, they make millions, they have the responsibilities with stardom, they have to perform, but they are people. This person is from poor town Alabama. Met his real Dad when he tried to date his sister. (True story). His Tenn. Chatta. Coll. Coach and him don't talk. He is an amazing guy and that article really made me think hard about him. I know TO didn't try to kill himself but the dude is a case no matter what. Perhaps he is trying to settle down and this is just a freak deal but he needs to get rid of that PR chick... :D

The article is written as if it were aletter written to Tuna. Hilarious but a jaw dropper too.

Edited by SuperBalla

According to Jim Rome, T.O.'s fiancee ended their engagement on Monday. Given that, what T.O. originally told the police, and what his skank publicist originally told 911 and the police, I have a really difficult time believing that this was some sort of allergic reaction or "accidental" overdose.

Why would someone take their pills out of their bottle to just place them in a drawer somewhere? I'm sorry, but that really doesn't make much sense.

My grandmother takes all of her pills out of the bottle and only puts the ones she is going to take for the day ni the bottle. If later in the day she forgets she took them, she can look and see the bottle is empty, therefore she doesnt OD.

The bottom line is that the publicist panicked in a situation that she didnt understand.....but in all honesty I would want a friend to make the same mistake if it were me.... Basically she new that TO's girlfriend supposively just broke of their engagement, she said something to TO and he didnt respond or seemed frazzled to say the least, non-responsive....she then looked over at the bottle that the pills were in and jumped to the horrible conclusion that he was taking his life..... Probably did take two pills out of his mouth (probably his supplements) and then dialed 911.

She probably told them that he was upset (being injured, ending engagement.....who wouldn't be upset) Then she told them that he took 35 pills (because the pill box was empty) obviously dumb because common sense tells you that taking 35 pills he would of been dead.

I would want a friend to make the same mistake...and do the same thing if it were me in those circumstances.....

But she was embarassed and tried to cover it up by lying in the press conference....and then with that ridiculous comment about the 25 million reasons to live !!!! Made a mistake and overreaction into something out of control !!!!!

End of story

The bottom line is that the publicist panicked in a situation that she didnt understand.....but in all honesty I would want a friend to make the same mistake if it were me.... Basically she new that TO's girlfriend supposively just broke of their engagement, she said something to TO and he didnt respond or seemed frazzled to say the least, non-responsive....she then looked over at the bottle that the pills were in and jumped to the horrible conclusion that he was taking his life..... Probably did take two pills out of his mouth (probably his supplements) and then dialed 911.

She probably told them that he was upset (being injured, ending engagement.....who wouldn't be upset) Then she told them that he took 35 pills (because the pill box was empty) obviously dumb because common sense tells you that taking 35 pills he would of been dead.

I would want a friend to make the same mistake...and do the same thing if it were me in those circumstances.....

But she was embarassed and tried to cover it up by lying in the press conference....and then with that ridiculous comment about the 25 million reasons to live !!!! Made a mistake and overreaction into something out of control !!!!!

End of story

Oh, really? Why would T.O. be completely zonked out? Why did the police report that he TOLD THEM that he was trying to harm himself? Why would T.O. still have pills (even supplements) still in his mouth while he was in that state?

I don't know if T.O. attempted suicide or not, but he obviously had a very serious problem with his prescription medication that night.

End of story

:D yeah, either that, or TO DID take all those pills because he WAS depressed and he WAS trying to harm himself and the publicist essentially saved his life. in which case you could expect EXACTLY the kind of corny denials we saw yesterday coming forward from the cowboys and TO's handlers. the police report was most likely right on the money, and everything since has just been spin control.

End of story

Good post!!!

This is probably the closest to the truth that I have seen and believe. I am tired of everyone thinking that just because he might of been depressed that he is suicidal. Everyone gets depressed at some point in there life. He probably was depressed since the engagment was called off but dame....we would have a bunch of suicides if that makes you suicidal.

Edited by canatic