[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charlie Frye

soopanuts

I'm in the same situation. Eli on a bye and had McNair to back him up, but Frye's matchup looks so much better. I know he's run 3 TDs in and that boosts his numbers, but his yardage has gone up every week (132, 244, 298) and he's completing 61% of his passes (against NO, @CIN, BAL). He could be even more dangerous when JJ gets back.

Are we all seriously starting the 2nd year cleveland browns qb from Akron...really based on one half of football

I'm still wavering as Delhomme with Smith seems relatively decent (my original plan of Warner for 6 weeks, Delhomme fo rthe rest was about 3 weeks too long it appears), but got - Frye with 3 TD's plus a possibly run in on the Raiders....

Anyone else think maybe we're talkign ourselves into a mistake here

IMO, the most intriguing QB play this week is Charlie Frye. He gets the Raiders this week and has been locking in on Edwards and Winslow. Assuming Winslow plays (Q on the injury report), do you think Frye could toss 3 this week?

I'm playing the Browns D and several Browns D players like Sean Jones.

I have seen Winslow as the top TE too.

IMO, the most intriguing QB play this week is Charlie Frye. He gets the Raiders this week and has been locking in on Edwards and Winslow. Assuming Winslow plays (Q on the injury report), do you think Frye could toss 3 this week?

I picked up Charlie Frye as a defensive move because my opponent has Warner on the road in Atlanta and Plummer on a bye. I knew he would try to get Frye and start him, so I picked him up. But start him over Hassebeck? I dont care who Hasselbeck is playing against this has all the signs of a classic overthink. Lets review:

1. Hasselbeck is an All Pro QB who plays for a Super Bowl calibre team with 4 outstanding wideouts in a spread 4 WR offense and will have to throw the ball 45 times on Sunday.

2. Frye is an unproven young QB who plays for a 4-12 squad with 1 very good WR who will be double teamed all day, a bunch of losers, a horrible offensive line in a road game against a desperate Raider team who HAS to win this game at all costs.

Not a good spot for Frye here folks. Raiders are coming off a bye and are truly dreadful. But they arent going to go 0-16 (are they?). This is one game they HAVE to have. Maybe the Raiders win, maybe they dont, but i know this -- the Browns cant run the ball. Period. I think Frye is going to get sacked alot this weekend and although its a nice matchup on paper, I have a feeling its not going to be the point bonanza you think.

That game is going to be a very very low scoring game IMO. Not to mention, if you start Frye over Hasselbeck: a) you have to actually watch that game (and thats not going to be pretty); :D you will be killing yourself when Frye throws his 2nd INT and Hasselbeck finds DJax for a 1st Half TD.

Even if Frye ends up with better stats, its not likely to be that much better and you have the downside of being forced to watch the worst game of the weekend. Im not saying Frye wont have a decent game, but I just dont think this game is the point bonanza it looks like on paper. You think this Browns team is suddenly going to go on the road and pile up 30 points? Uh uh.

Frye's stats are, at best going to be 2 TDs, 220 yards, likely an INT or 2 to go with it. Hasselbecks wont be far off from that (if at all). So why do that to yourself? Sure its the Bears defense but remember that the Bears had a lot of trouble with the Panthers offense in the playoffs (which wasnt a 4 WR offense, but they similarly spread Steve Smith all over the field, threw short passes to keep the pass rush off and let Smith make plays).

You cant run a spread 4 WR offense without talent and without Deion Branch they couldnt really pull it off, but now they can. Plus, its the best game of the week, so dont you want some stake in that? I cant wait to watch this game and having Hasselbeck in it will make it more fun.

Just my two cents. Starting Frye over Hasselbeck is a massive overthink.

I picked up Charlie Frye as a defensive move because my opponent has Warner on the road in Atlanta and Plummer on a bye. I knew he would try to get Frye and start him, so I picked him up. But start him over Hassebeck? I dont care who Hasselbeck is playing against this has all the signs of a classic overthink. Lets review:

1. Hasselbeck is an All Pro QB who plays for a Super Bowl calibre team with 4 outstanding wideouts in a spread 4 WR offense and will have to throw the ball 45 times on Sunday.

2. Frye is an unproven young QB who plays for a 4-12 squad with 1 very good WR who will be double teamed all day, a bunch of losers, a horrible offensive line in a road game against a desperate Raider team who HAS to win this game at all costs.

Not a good spot for Frye here folks. Raiders are coming off a bye and are truly dreadful. But they arent going to go 0-16 (are they?). This is one game they HAVE to have. Maybe the Raiders win, maybe they dont, but i know this -- the Browns cant run the ball. Period. I think Frye is going to get sacked alot this weekend and although its a nice matchup on paper, I have a feeling its not going to be the point bonanza you think.

That game is going to be a very very low scoring game IMO. Not to mention, if you start Frye over Hasselbeck: a) you have to actually watch that game (and thats not going to be pretty); :D you will be killing yourself when Frye throws his 2nd INT and Hasselbeck finds DJax for a 1st Half TD.

Even if Frye ends up with better stats, its not likely to be that much better and you have the downside of being forced to watch the worst game of the weekend. Im not saying Frye wont have a decent game, but I just dont think this game is the point bonanza it looks like on paper. You think this Browns team is suddenly going to go on the road and pile up 30 points? Uh uh.

Frye's stats are, at best going to be 2 TDs, 220 yards, likely an INT or 2 to go with it. Hasselbecks wont be far off from that (if at all). So why do that to yourself? Sure its the Bears defense but remember that the Bears had a lot of trouble with the Panthers offense in the playoffs (which wasnt a 4 WR offense, but they similarly spread Steve Smith all over the field, threw short passes to keep the pass rush off and let Smith make plays).

You cant run a spread 4 WR offense without talent and without Deion Branch they couldnt really pull it off, but now they can. Plus, its the best game of the week, so dont you want some stake in that? I cant wait to watch this game and having Hasselbeck in it will make it more fun.

The voice of reason. Great post.

Eli on a bye and Grossman as my backup. Someone please talk me out of dropping Rex and picking up Frye for this week.

I made a bold move that hopes to pan out. I had Warner and Grossman, both with bad match-ups. The only viable player to drop was Warner, FOR FRYE. I've got my fingers crossed. I'm 1-2 with Alexander injured, FWP on a bye, and forced to play L. Jordan, and Gore at RB.

I don't know if I'd drop Grossman for Frye. I do like that he runs in TD's and Edwards and Winslow are young, talented and hungry. This could be a fun team in a tough division next year.

I'm starting Rex over Warner this week, but am also considering a waiver wire move of dropping my #3 QB of Jake the Fake for Charlie Frye. I see some pretty good upside with Frye and think Jake is being pushed by Cutler, so hopefully this move will pay off down the road.

I really like Charlie's weapons with Winslow, and Edwards. If they can just get him some protection and a running game, he should blossom!

Guy in one of my leagues is starting Frye over Hass.

Funny the guy in my league was trying to trade me Hass for Chester (LOL) I almost thought about it, Chester off a down week against the bears, then I saw Hasselback off a monster week is against the bears this week. Top it off my other RB tiki is on a by so he would eb killing me to take Chester and turn around and play him against me, while givine me Hasselback who is going to have a tough time.

So low and behold I picked up Fry off the WW and am starting him this week. Hope it works out.

btw fry had mad rushing TD numbers, I haven't seen him play is he a good runner like the old Garcia?

Good points, for me it was Fry or Cpep or Lefty (vs Wash). I have no confidence in Cpep so IMO it's worth a try that Fry may have 2-3 TDs (more than Cpep has all year).

Also the guy that was trying to trade me Hass also has McNabb (vs GB) this week and Hass in on a by next week so he was not giving up a lot short term for him hass has to play extra great for him to get a start over McNabb IMO