[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wow

DMD

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone who worked for you did that to a co-worker would you fire them of fine them a week's salary?

I agree he should face AT LEAST a year's suspension, but you can't really draw parallels between the NFL in particular and the real world of work.

I mean, if a salesman for a competing company was rushing to the mailbox to get an important bid sent out, I'd be in a heap of trouble if I took 'em down with a blindside tackle. In the NFL, the violence is more or less the point.

I agree he should face AT LEAST a year's suspension, but you can't really draw parallels between the NFL in particular and the real world of work.

I mean, if a salesman for a competing company was rushing to the mailbox to get an important bid sent out, I'd be in a heap of trouble if I took 'em down with a blindside tackle. In the NFL, the violence is more or less the point.

A hard hit is one thing, but what is the difference between stabbing someone and what Haynesworth did? Just because it takes place during an NFL game doesn't mean it is not illegal. If he pulled out a knife and stabbed him would that be worthy of just a fine and/or suspension?

There is obviously inherent violence in the game but most of the extra-curricular type occurs either as an extension of a play (like slamming a quarterback to the turf late - an act that is okay if he was holding the ball or just had it) or an actual fight in which case both guys are wearing helmets and pads and can defend themselves.

Haynesworth appeared to take off Gurode's helmet perhaps inadvertantly but he took a step away, saw him laying there on the ground without a helmet on and then raised his knee and stomped in an act that could never be okay. The NFL should make this a case an example if nothing else and it is hard to believe that the NFLPA would get behind Haynesworth defending him.

It was not a football act in any way. It was a criminal act against a defenseless person lying on the ground. The commish needs to strut his new strength and show that it is not allowed. The penalties this year are already to the point of excessive in my opinion, you cannot let this go with anything less than the maximum punishment. I am just not certain what the max is because it is probably in the COB they signed.

A hard hit is one thing, but what is the difference between stabbing someone and what Haynesworth did? Just because it takes place during an NFL game doesn't mean it is not illegal. If he pulled out a knife and stabbed him would that be worthy of just a fine and/or suspension?

Maybe you should have read my whole post. :D

But the point was that you can't necessarily judge sports like the NFL and hockey - or boxing, to name another - by the standards of everyday life. Haynesworth was pretty clearly doing something illegal under the rules, and it certainly merits at least a look at as an actual criminal act; but by that token, someone could claim that a personal foul that wasn't quite so vicious or blatant still appeared to be an intent to injure, could THAT then be prosecuted criminally?

It's something to think about before sending in the DAs.

Not much to be said, that hasn't already been said.

Gross disgusting act, thats for sure.

And for the guy asking for a VIDEO link, go to NFL.COM and watch the video link next to the Haynesworth story link. There you will see all the highlights from the game. Although they don't point it out, if you watch the play that JJ scores from 5 yards out, you see this horrible act being committed.

Suspension for the season. Fines beyond belief. And criminal charges. Bertuzzi had to face them for what he did to Steve Moore on the hockey rink, Haynesworth's actions were much worse today!

It was the most vicious, premeditated act I've seen CAPTURED on film in the NFL. I don't discount there have been just as bad or worse incidents of agression that were never caught on film.

I mean, you hear stories of thugs in piles twisting, turning, poking, and god knows what else to arms, legs, fingers, eyes.......this j--ka$$ just did it right in front of everyone!!!!!

I agree, charges should be allowed to be brought up. As far as suspension or explusion from the league... At least half the remainder of the season would be just.

It sort of reminds me of the World Cup, when that idiot Frenchmen head-butted that guy. What was the response to that?

:D I'd kick the guy out of the league for the season :D

...and penalize him his salary for the remainder of the season too. Anything less is a joke.

If the new commish gives this anything less than a very severe penalty, he's going to make Paul Tagliaboob look like a disciplinarian. And he should be fired. But don't be surprised at all if it happens, remember this is pro sports, where players are coddled to nauseating degrees.

PS hardly surprising tho, Haynesworth has always been a thug (and a lame bust POS DL to boot)

Maybe you should have read my whole post. :D

But the point was that you can't necessarily judge sports like the NFL and hockey - or boxing, to name another - by the standards of everyday life. Haynesworth was pretty clearly doing something illegal under the rules, and it certainly merits at least a look at as an actual criminal act; but by that token, someone could claim that a personal foul that wasn't quite so vicious or blatant still appeared to be an intent to injure, could THAT then be prosecuted criminally?

It's something to think about before sending in the DAs.

I understand what you are saying about "minor" personal fouls, but this goes so far beyond a late hit. The guy intentionally used his cleats to injure a player. People are acting like football is played in some fantasy world (no pun intended) where the rules/laws do not apply accept as handed down by the league or teams. I believe there was a guy in hockey a couple years ago who was suspended for a whole season for chasing a guy down and punching him from behind and then slamming him into the ice. I could be wrong, but I believe criminal charges were filed. If hockey players use their sticks to attack other players or boxers put pieces of metal in their gloves then I believe they should be charged with a criminal act too.

There is obviously inherent violence in the game but most of the extra-curricular type occurs either as an extension of a play (like slamming a quarterback to the turf late - an act that is okay if he was holding the ball or just had it) or an actual fight in which case both guys are wearing helmets and pads and can defend themselves.

Haynesworth appeared to take off Gurode's helmet perhaps inadvertantly but he took a step away, saw him laying there on the ground without a helmet on and then raised his knee and stomped in an act that could never be okay. The NFL should make this a case an example if nothing else and it is hard to believe that the NFLPA would get behind Haynesworth defending him.

It was not a football act in any way. It was a criminal act against a defenseless person lying on the ground. The commish needs to strut his new strength and show that it is not allowed. The penalties this year are already to the point of excessive in my opinion, you cannot let this go with anything less than the maximum punishment. I am just not certain what the max is because it is probably in the COB they signed.

Dave great post but re. the bolded part, you can't be serious. I would be surprised - no shocked - if they didn't rally behind him and insist a slap on the wrist is enough, blah blah and similar wrist-slap apologist BS. Upshaw is a POS.

Right, I'm not disagreeing that there are some acts that DO go veer into the land of assault, and this is probably one of them; I just usually prefer to proceed with great caution as far as bringing lawyers between the lines, given the overly-litigious climate we live in these days.

Dave great post but re. the bolded part, you can't be serious. I would be surprised - no shocked - if they didn't rally behind him and insist a slap on the wrist is enough, blah blah and similar wrist-slap apologist BS. Upshaw is a POS.

I wonder how dues-paying NFLPA member Gurode and his dues-paying NFLPA teammates would feel about such a stance. :D

Right, I'm not disagreeing that there are some acts that DO go veer into the land of assault, and this is probably one of them; I just usually prefer to proceed with great caution as far as bringing lawyers between the lines, given the overly-litigious climate we live in these days.

I agree 100%. But this is one of those over the top exceptions where I think the courts should be involved. It was caught on tape and intent was clearly there.

I agree 100%. But this is one of those over the top exceptions where I think the courts should be involved. It was caught on tape and intent was clearly there.

...so in other words, we can stop disagreeing over our general agreement on the issue. :D

Not much to be said, that hasn't already been said.

Gross disgusting act, thats for sure.

And for the guy asking for a VIDEO link, go to NFL.COM and watch the video link next to the Haynesworth story link. There you will see all the highlights from the game. Although they don't point it out, if you watch the play that JJ scores from 5 yards out, you see this horrible act being committed.

Suspension for the season. Fines beyond belief. And criminal charges. Bertuzzi had to face them for what he did to Steve Moore on the hockey rink, Haynesworth's actions were much worse today!

I understand what you are saying about "minor" personal fouls, but this goes so far beyond a late hit. The guy intentionally used his cleats to injure a player. People are acting like football is played in some fantasy world (no pun intended) where the rules/laws do not apply accept as handed down by the league or teams. I believe there was a guy in hockey a couple years ago who was suspended for a whole season for chasing a guy down and punching him from behind and then slamming him into the ice. I could be wrong, but I believe criminal charges were filed. If hockey players use their sticks to attack other players or boxers put pieces of metal in their gloves then I believe they should be charged with a criminal act too.

yeah, todd bertuzzi. he was suspended for the rest of the year (13 regular season games, 7 playoff games). then the next year was the strike year. criminal charges were filed in canada, and bertuzzi reached a plea deal. the guy he injured had "three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a grade three concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial cuts," according to the link.

in a game as violent as football, i think criminal charges could lead to a slippery slope, but i think the new commissioner will be under too much pressure to let it go with a slap on the wrist. i mean, we're talking about a league that's so concerned with its image it pressured espn to take "playmakers" off the air.

yeah, todd bertuzzi. he was suspended for the rest of the year (13 regular season games, 7 playoff games). then the next year was the strike year. criminal charges were filed in canada, and bertuzzi reached a plea deal. the guy he injured had "three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a grade three concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial cuts," according to the link.

in a game as violent as football, i think criminal charges could lead to a slippery slope, but i think the new commissioner will be under too much pressure to let it go with a slap on the wrist. i mean, we're talking about a league that's so concerned with its image it pressured espn to take "playmakers" off the air.

There is no potential slippery slope for non-football related assault after a play is over.

At NFL.com, scores, for Tenn vs Dallas, click photos and you will see a picture intitled stomping mad. It looks like Haynesworth is trying to stomp a cockroach or stamp out the start of a grass fire. Football is rough and I like rough, but I don't like that. Any punk-ass fool can kick a man while he's down but real men don't do that.