[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Special play

Grits and Shins

(:08) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington to NYJ 40 for 8 yards [D.Freeney]. Lateral to B.Smith to NYJ 37 for -3 yards. Lateral to L.Coles to IND 44 for 19 yards. Lateral to C.Pennington to IND 37 for 7 yards. Lateral to J.McCareins to IND 35 for 2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-B.Smith at IND 33. B.Smith to IND 37 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-L.Coles at IND 40. L.Coles to IND 27 for 13 yards. Lateral to N.Mangold to IND 27 for no gain. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by

So as a Coles owner I don't see any of these yards credited to him in MFL scoring.

Are these rushing yards?

I traded Coles for Michael Clayton - so NOPE!

Seriously though, it is an 'effed up situation. Plays like this have happened in the past, and based on precedent, if Leon Washington would have just lateraled to B. Smith, and B. Smith took it all the way for the TD - wouldn't the breakdown have been:

Leon Washington - reception, 8 yards

B. Smith - TD with 60 yards rushing?

I believe players are only given credit for yards they gain from scrimmage. I remember this issue came up on the play in 2003 when Randy Moss lateraled to Moe Williams over his head for a TD at the end of the half. Williams was given credit for a TD, but not for yards. Here is the play:

3-24-MIN41 (:12) (Shotgun) D. Culpepper pass to R. Moss to DEN 15 for 44 yards. Lateral to M. Williams for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

Play-by-Play Link

In the box score (Link) he was not given credit for the 15 yards he gained after the lateral.

I'm sure there are other examples you can research, but this is the one that came to mind because I started Williams that day.

I believe players are only given credit for yards they gain from scrimmage. I remember this issue came up on the play in 2003 when Randy Moss lateraled to Moe Williams over his head for a TD at the end of the half. Williams was given credit for a TD, but not for yards. Here is the play:

3-24-MIN41 (:12) (Shotgun) D. Culpepper pass to R. Moss to DEN 15 for 44 yards. Lateral to M. Williams for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

Play-by-Play Link

In the box score (Link) he was not given credit for the 15 yards he gained after the lateral.

I'm sure there are other examples you can research, but this is the one that came to mind because I started Williams that day.

Actually POC, if you were to go thru and add up his receptions (4) and the yardage he got with those 4 receptions, that only adds up to 35 yds total. However you'll see he has 50 yds total under his receiving yds.

The official ruling is this started as a pass play from CPep to Moss, the lateral to Moe was simply a continuation of said pass play, so Moes yds after the lateral were considered receiving yds.

Even if he were to get credit for the first part (19 yards), he would not get the second part (13 yards) because that was a fumble recovery, and not part of the original pass play.

Good point! But whether considered rushing or receiving yards - I think the Moss/Moe and similar plays set a precedent for the first part of the play. (btw - I have no dog in this "fight", if there is one)

Doesn't matter as this was an illegal play (Jets-Colts). Someone fumbled the ball and therefore it cannot be advanced by anyone other than the fumbler and another Jets player picked it up advanced then lateralled, should have been end of play.

:D

Edited by paulzale

Doesn't matter as this was an illegal play (Jets-Colts). Someone fumbled the ball and therefore it cannot be advanced by anyone other than the fumbler and another Jets player picked it up advanced then lateralled, should have been end of play.

Doesn't that rule only apply in regards to advancing the ball into the endzone within the last 2 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is true or not - but it still doesn't address the part of the play pre-fumble. :D

Doesn't that rule only apply in regards to advancing the ball into the endzone within the last 2 minutes.

No, I think the rule is that no offensive player can advance a ball fumbled by another offensive player in the last 2 minutes. So, in all likelyhood, that last minute desperation play by the Jets would have been overruled by the replay ref had it been successful.

No, I think the rule is that no offensive player can advance a ball fumbled by another offensive player in the last 2 minutes. So, in all likelyhood, that last minute desperation play by the Jets would have been overruled by the replay ref had it been successful.

Edit: Actually, the only exception to that rule that I can think of would be if an offensive player recovered a fumble and, instead of advancing it, lateralled to another offensive player. I think, as long as they didn't advance it past the point where they picked up the ball that would be OK. But in any case, at least 2 Jets players picked up fumbled balls and advanced them without lateraling. So in yesterday's case it was moot.

That would be an interesting test of the rules, however.

Edit: Actually, the only exception to that rule that I can think of would be if an offensive player recovered a fumble and, instead of advancing it, lateralled to another offensive player. I think, as long as they didn't advance it past the point where they picked up the ball that would be OK. But in any case, at least 2 Jets players picked up fumbled balls and advanced them without lateraling. So in yesterday's case it was moot.

That would be an interesting test of the rules, however.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/fumble

Having trouble copying and pasting, but it says it is for any play in the last 2 minutes of a half...

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/fumble

Having trouble copying and pasting, but it says it is for any play in the last 2 minutes of a half...

Ok. So from what I read in your link, in the last 2 minutes once the ball is fumbled, the offensive team cannot advance it no matter what. If the ball is fumbled and an offensive player recovers it, it's a dead ball.

So the Jets had no hope of scoring on that play once Pennigton touched the ball.

Blitz, it appears you did get the first part of Coles yardage, but not the part after the fumble.

If you go to the play by play, you can count Coles receptions and as the stats state, he had a total of 6. But if you go thru and add up the yardage for each of those plays, it totals 62 yds. But Coles is being credited by the NFL and MFL with a total of 81 yds. A difference of 19 yds. The amount you see he gained after the first lateral to him. As the guys mentioned before me, the 2nd time he touched the ball was after a Fumble, so none of those yds were gained legally and were not credited to him.