[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears are the best team in football

Goopster24

Tough for me to say this as a Pack fan but all around the Bears are the best team in football.Best defense,not a suprise.Rex Grossman is playing superb football right now and if that O-line keeps it up I can see no team in the NFC hanging with them.The offense is downright dangerous.Never thought I would hear myself say that.

I must be dreaming. People are saying the Bears offense is downright dangerous. I hope you are right my cheesy friend. :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that you can't be enthusiastic or that you shouldn't have confidence in this squad. Not at all.

But it is irritating to see people here declare Tommy Harris as the "best defensive player in the NFL" or listen to Madden slobber all over Grossman's nuts and him to Favre. GMAFB! It's FOUR GAMES. Let's wait until, say, December before we annoint Grossman and Harris as the offensive and defensive POTY.

Wow, you'd think I shot the pope or something. :D

Tommie Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL this year.

Is that statement that bad? I've been a Bears fan since the 70's. I agree, Harris has to do it for the whole year. I'm saying I BELIEVE he will. I also believe the Bears will go deep in the playoffs, with the Super Bowl a distinct possibility.

Take your pessimistic CYA attitude and sanctimonious attitude elsewhere. This thread is about the Bears being the best team in football. I believe it right now - that's all.

As a die-hard Bears fan, I'm obviously thrilled with what I saw last night. Seattle has a strong D and Grossman looked composed and was as accurate as could be. The Bears D is for real. We'll see about this offense.

Not to take anything away from the Bears because they were very impressive last night, but Seattle's D was very soft and vanilla in that game. Not even a shadow of what it was in the first 3 games.

I'd argue that Atlanta's front four is better (Kerney, Abraham, Coleman, Grady Jackson). But CHI's front four is cetainly elite. Having a lot of depth at CB helps Da Bears as well. Ricky Manning, Jr. could be a starter on a lot of teams and the Bears have the luxury of using him as a nickelback.

As for rankings, I'd say that the Top 5 looks like this right now...

1. CHI

2. CIN

3. IND

4. ATL

5. BAL

Still LOTS of football to be played, though.

Seriously? Cincinatti at 2? What have they done to deserve that? Beat the Steelers? Who hasn't?

Tommy Harris is having the best year out of anyone you have listed. I speak of this year, not the past.

He was the best player on the field last night. He was also the absolute reason the Bears beat the Vikings last week. He's already got 5 sacks tied for the LEAGUE LEAD - except he plays DEFENSIVE TACKLE, facing double teams ALL THE TIME. Add the forced fumble which was a game changer at the Vikings and the fact that it's only Tommy's third year and I'll stand by my statement. Today, Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL.

Bart Scott has played as well in the four games this year as anyone, including Tommy Harris.

Wow, you'd think I shot the pope or something. :D

Tommie Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL this year.

Is that statement that bad? I've been a Bears fan since the 70's. I agree, Harris has to do it for the whole year. I'm saying I BELIEVE he will. I also believe the Bears will go deep in the playoffs, with the Super Bowl a distinct possibility.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. As I'm entitled to calling it homer cheerleading.

This is what you orginally said...

Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL. Better than Urlacher. Better than Ray Lewis. Better than ANYONE.

And you subsequently changed it to "well, he's the best player this season" when you were called on it.

And given that you're comparing him to linebackers and safeties (and much more accomplished ones, at that), I'm not sure that it's a valid comparison in the first place.

Take your pessimistic CYA attitude and sanctimonious attitude elsewhere. This thread is about the Bears being the best team in football. I believe it right now - that's all.

No, I think that you need to take your cheerleading, front-running attitude somewhere else. This thread is intended for DISCUSSION and, therefore, your remarks are not above reproach.

It's clear they have the best D, 29 points in 4 games and only 1 TD given up all year
You know, there was a team last year that had a similar type of record. They went through the first 4 games undefeated giving up 29 points as well. Actually though 5 games they gave up 32 although that does include 2 TDs. They actually went most of the season with everyone exclaiming that they were the greatest team in football with talk of them going 19-0 for the season.

The Bears are obviously a very talented team. Their defense is feared for good reasons and their offense finally appears to be clicking. I'm not going to put the Best Team tag on them yet though. Excluding Seattle, they haven't exactly had a great challenge so far. Minnesota was a close game, but I don't consider them an "elite" team yet.

I honestly think that Seattle had an off game in conjunction with Alexander not being there. While one person doesn't make a team, one person can be the last piece of the puzzle completing the picture. Look at Carolina and Steve Smith for another example.

One thing that the Bears have going for them is playing in a very weak division as well as a pretty easy non-divisional schedule.

Wow...this is like the "Year of the Swerski".

BOTH of the teams that he is a "diehard" fan of are doing well.

And when they meet in the Super Bowl, my head will explode. :D

Actually, I've admitted several times before that I'm merely a bandwagon Colts fan. The "diehard fan of both teams" is Menudo propaganda. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

what does that stand for ?

The Bears handled the Packers and the Lions easily in the first two weeks. They are probably two of the worst teams in the league, but they handled their business. In week 3 they barely beat the Vikings who are an average team at best. In week 4 they dominated a good Seahawks team that didn't have the reigning MVP, Alexander. Not taking anything away from what the Bears did to the Seahawks, but they beat a one-dimensional team on Sunday. When you don't have to worry about a team running on you, it's a lot easier to just sit back aganst the pass, get turnovers, and dominate the game. If the Bears have to play Seattle in the playoffs, in Seattle, with a healthy Alexander, I think Seattle would win.

The Bears handled the Packers and the Lions easily in the first two weeks. They are probably two of the worst teams in the league, but they handled their business. In week 3 they barely beat the Vikings who are an average team at best. In week 4 they dominated a good Seahawks team that didn't have the reigning MVP, Alexander. Not taking anything away from what the Bears did to the Seahawks, but they beat a one-dimensional team on Sunday. When you don't have to worry about a team running on you, it's a lot easier to just sit back aganst the pass, get turnovers, and dominate the game. If the Bears have to play Seattle in the playoffs, in Seattle, with a healthy Alexander, I think Seattle would win.

Agreed that a playoff game in Seattle would probably be a different story (partly because SEA isn't going to be as awful as last night), but I'm not really sure that Alexander would've helped that much last night. He's was only averaging 2.9 yds/carry before the injury and that tells me that their O-line isn't run-blocking very well right now. Plus, a healthy Alexander probably wouldn't have changed the fact that SEA got down by multiple scores early and had to throw the ball a lot.

"Bears are the best team in football, Who wants to argue?"

Wheres Az, he loves to argue...

:curtsey:

the bears have the best D bar-none, and a very dangerous O. i don't think anyone can convince me that any team is better than the bears right now. but whether they're better than any other top team in the league is something that can only be determined on the football field, of course.

one thing i do have to say...i've watched most of 3 of grossman's games so far this year, and this kid is the shiznit. he can make every f'n throw in the book. his accuracy on the deep ball might be the best in the league right now. now i see why lovie has been insisting this guy is his QB come hell or highwater the last few years.

one thing i do have to say...i've watched most of 3 of grossman's games so far this year, and this kid is the shiznit. he can make every f'n throw in the book. his accuracy on the deep ball might be the best in the league right now.

I own Grossman in one league but, better than that, I have Berrian in three. Watching that rock drop straight into his hands at full gallop 50 yards down the field is pure pleasure to a Berrian owner.

I'd argue that Atlanta's front four is better (Kerney, Abraham, Coleman, Grady Jackson). But CHI's front four is cetainly elite. Having a lot of depth at CB helps Da Bears as well. Ricky Manning, Jr. could be a starter on a lot of teams and the Bears have the luxury of using him as a nickelback.

As for rankings, I'd say that the Top 5 looks like this right now...

1. CHI

2. CIN

3. IND

4. ATL

5. BAL

Still LOTS of football to be played, though.

:D I am not going to make a case for NE being top 5 here...but after they way they spanked the Bengirls yesterday I don't see how they could be ranked #2...

As long as the Bears O does their part they will be very tough to beat. But yeah like someone said before Rex has to play a whole season which would be like hitting the lottery. :D

And oh yeah, that D needs to play like the studs they are in the playoffs. The past two playoff performances at home (Eagles and Panthers) have been stinkers.

If rex goes down, I like Brian G. Not as much as rex obviously, but he will run that offence better than many of the past bears QBs.

Orton 2005 passing leader

Hutchinson 2004passing leader

Stewart 2003 passing leader

Miller 2002 passing leader

Miller 2001 passing leader

McNown 2000 passing leader

Matthews 1999 passing leader

Kramer passing 1998 leader (1995 was great though)* and same coordinator

Brian G. should put about 17-21 points a game with that same offence. and our Defense will have few games where they will need that much.

:D I am not going to make a case for NE being top 5 here...but after they way they spanked the Bengirls yesterday I don't see how they could be ranked #2...

IMO, they're the best 3-1 team out there, are (currently) more complete than the Colts on both sides of the ball, and are stronger than the offensively-challenged Ravens. Despite blowing it to the Pats yesterday, they stuck it to the tough Pittsburgh D and played very well (on both sides of the ball) against a solid Chiefs squad. In short, they have the best offense in the league and a halfway decent defense and does a good job of forcing turnovers.

That said, we've only seen four weeks of football.