[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting bye week players

theeohiostate

Does your leagues have rules against this? Should they?

I don't feel a league should mandate you field an active player, if you don't want to spend $5 of your $50 Free agent money say, why should you have to on a kicker or something. If your D is on bye and you don't want to drop them for a lousy fill in with limited roster space, then why mandate to do so?

What's your thoughts on this?

Reason is, i have a league i started a bye week K in and it was allowed by the league. In another league owners want to start bye week Defenses and it's not being allowed. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your leagues have rules against this? Should they?

I don't feel a league should mandate you field an active player, if you don't want to spend $5 of your $50 Free agent money say, why should you have to on a kicker or something. If your D is on bye and you don't want to drop them for a lousy fill in with limited roster space, then why mandate to do so?

What's your thoughts on this?

Reason is, i have a league i started a bye week K in and it was allowed by the league. In another league owners want to start bye week Defenses and it's not being allowed. :D

Depends on your league. In my local, we fine anyone who starts a bye player $5, except for defenses. In other leagues, you can start bye players if you want. Personally, I never start bye players as I hate to lose. I always find some bum to drop to get a fill-in kicker or whatever.

By "not allowed" what do you mean? Is the commish going to pick up a player for that team and start them?

I have no idea why you would start a bye week kicker but there must be some crazy rules I don't know about if you would not drop ANY kicker for one that is playing. At least they might get you something. A crappy D might get rolled up against and give you a negative...if that is the scoring system.

But to answer your question, what is good for one coach should be good for another. The other team should be able to pass on picking up a D if that is their decision.

Yes, they should have rules against it. Starting a player who isn't playing isn't turning in your best (or even a valid) lineup. Not turning your best lineup in FF, on purpose, is at best, unfair to the other teams. Whoever gets to play against you when you have no kicker gets a much easier time beating you than everyone else gets--if, say, you'd picked up Morten Andersen and started him, that could have easily been the difference between a win and a loss, and come playoff time at the end of the year, a win or loss can be the difference either way.

Not cool.

Peace

policy

In our league we fine a team that starts someone on a bye, to punish those that don't pay attention to their teams. But if you have a situation where an attentive owner knows someone is on a bye and deosn't feel there is anything on the waiver wire worth the price of a pickup, he must post a message on our message board by the lineup deadline explaining the situation and he is then not fined.

You're never forced to pick up a marginal player, or worse, drop a valuable player because of a bye week challenge.

Allowed, not allowed...why is this even a question? You field a full, active team to be competitive. You wanna be cheap with you waiver $$ then make sure you draft appropriately. If not, don't affect the competitive balance of the league by hoarding your waiver $$.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. There shouldn't need to be a rule on this...it is understood that you field a full, active, competitive team. :D

Many leagues having bidding systems. If you only get $50 for the entire season and free agents cost $5, then why waste one on a kicker of defense that you believe won't help you win?

In one league i'm in there are currenty only 6 defenses that have positive points, everyone else is negative. This is a prime reason to start a bye week D, so you won't get negative points.

http://football34.myfantasyleague.com/2006...Y=points&TEAM=*

This week Cincy got a (-23)

Available free agent D's like the Lions have a (-44) point total for the season.

Edited by theeohiostate

I was almost in that situation this week.

The Steelers had a bye and were the only DEF on my roster.

I also had H. Miller on bye and Desmond Clark hurt.

I dropped T. Henry to pick up Eric Johnson, but ended up dropping Johnson to pick up a Def to cover for Pitt, and decided to roll the dice with Clark.

If Clark was ruled out, I wasn't willing to drop a valuable person from my roster to pick up a TE that picks up one point (Johnson). Clark ended up playing and putting up more points than Johnson anyway.

Long story short, it's not always lazyness or dumb owners that cause a bye week starter, it might have to do with the roster situation. And if someone wants to leave points on the board, it's their choice.

Long story short, it's not always lazyness or dumb owners that cause a bye week starter, it might have to do with the roster situation. And if someone wants to leave points on the board, it's their choice.

Exactly!

I have the Bears D and am at a HUGE advantage is this league against the majority of owners, so i'm not voicing my opinion for my own behalf. I just think it sucks to have to play a D that gets negative points.

This is why you draft second kickers and second defenses. If your league doesn't have enough rounds or roster spots to do this, add more rounds and roster spots. You have to field your most competitive team every week, end of story.

Peace

policy

This is all DMD's fault. If he didn't come up with that damned Huddle perfect scoring which grades defenses on a bell curve, we wouldn't be in this mess.

FWIW I think you have a start a non-bye week D and that this scoring system for D's sucks.

Long story short, it's not always lazyness or dumb owners that cause a bye week starter, it might have to do with the roster situation.

The roster situation that THEY created. Bad ownership, period.

And if someone wants to leave points on the board, it's their choice.

NO, IT'S NOT!! It's not fair to the rest of the league. Put yourself on the other side: what if you missed the playoffs because the team you were competing with got a week against a team who "left points on the board" and thus an easy win. This is not a legitimate strategy, it's lazy and terrible ownership.

Peace

policy

We agree! Starting a bye week D, that is going to get 0, is MUCH better then starting one that'll get -10 or -20.

:D

If you have a scoring system so stupid that a team defense could net you -20 points in a given week, that's your own fault, too.

Peace

policy

This is why you draft second kickers and second defenses. If your league doesn't have enough rounds or roster spots to do this, add more rounds and roster spots. You have to field your most competitive team every week, end of story.

Peace

policy

Agreed. If you're penalizing an owner for leaving a player active during his bye week, you're doing so because he's not paying attention. And if you have those kinds of owners in your league, you need to find better owners.

Edited by Bill Swerski

NO, IT'S NOT!! It's not fair to the rest of the league. Put yourself on the other side: what if you missed the playoffs because the team you were competing with got a week against a team who "left points on the board" and thus an easy win. This is not a legitimate strategy, it's lazy and terrible ownership.

What if said owner has a bunch of solid backup RBs, WRs, and QBs on his roster (that could be used as trade bait/bye-week filler) and doesn't want to drop one into the free agent pool just because the freaking kicker is on bye? If it's detrimental to the owner's long-term strategy, I believe that he/she has every right to not find a bye-week kicker.

This is only a problem in leagues where owners either aren't paying attention to bye weeks or are intentionally tanking games. In either case, you need to find a better league.

What if said owner has a bunch of solid backup RBs, WRs, and QBs on his roster (that could be used as trade bait/bye-week filler) and doesn't want to drop one into the free agent pool just because the freaking kicker is on bye? If it's detrimental to the owner's long-term strategy, I believe that he/she has every right to not find a bye-week kicker.

This is only a problem in leagues where owners either aren't paying attention to bye weeks or are intentionally tanking games. In either case, you need to find a better league.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have to drop a legitimate skill position player to pick up a second kicker, or your scoring system is such that starting mediocre defense will result in huge negative points for you, then there are MAJOR problems with your league setup. Just add another two rounds and roster slots and require that everyone draft two kickers and two defenses, and then all these shenanigans go out the window.

No excuse for starting a player on a bye on purpose. It's not a strategy, it's bad ownership that throws another owner in your league a bone while stiffing everyone else in the league. Not fair, not cool, end of story.

Peace

policy

We agree! Starting a bye week D, that is going to get 0, is MUCH better then starting one that'll get -10 or -20.

:D

Once again, TOS, like your horrific calls as commissioner that have been discussed ad nauseum in this forum, you are missing the point completely.

It's not about how badly you think the replacement will do...it's about making sure you are covered so this does not happen. If you don't want to spend the auction $$$, then draft your bye week fillers. If you don't draft them, pick one up! If a D that you think will score -10 or -20 points blows up, then you may cost yourself a win and you affect the standings in the league. YOU may not care about taking a 0 in the D spot, but I guarantee you that at least one other owner in your league does.

It's about playing the game right and playing with integrity and if it means picking up a D that DOES score -10 or -20 points then so be it. Besides collusion, not playing bye week players is the worst thing you can do in FF. As a commissioner, you should know this already but like I said... :D

No excuse for starting a player on a bye on purpose.

As I stated previously, there are several reasons for owners to elect to not drop a player on their roster for a bye-week fill-in. In these cases, doing so has nothing to do with "bad ownership" and has everything to do with being a savvy owner who is more concerned about the rest of the season than one particular week.

It's not a strategy, it's bad ownership that throws another owner in your league a bone while stiffing everyone else in the league. Not fair, not cool, end of story.

Why should an owner care about inadvertently "throwing another owner a bone"? He's supposed to care about HIS team and HIS team alone.

Rules that penalize bye-week starts are for leagues with lazy or corrupt owners. You can avoid this mess simply by playing with better people.

You can avoid this mess simply by playing with better people.

That's the one part of your post I agree with. A better owner would not intentionally leave a bye week player in the game.

I understand the strategy part and being concerned only with your team...but I still think you can be ultra-competitive and adhere to strategy and still field a full team every week.

Many leagues having bidding systems. If you only get $50 for the entire season and free agents cost $5, then why waste one on a kicker of defense that you believe won't help you win?

In one league i'm in there are currenty only 6 defenses that have positive points, everyone else is negative. This is a prime reason to start a bye week D, so you won't get negative points.

http://football34.myfantasyleague.com/2006...Y=points&TEAM=*

This week Cincy got a (-23)

Available free agent D's like the Lions have a (-44) point total for the season.

Much of this would have been key information in the original post. With that said, HAVING to start a D that could penalize you, if it's part of the rules, should be a mandate. I see, with negative points and FA limits, why owners want to force you to pick up and play a crappy D.

It really comes down to if it is in your rules or not that you have to start a D. If it is, then you do...if not, you'll have something to add at next years rule meeting.

Depending on your WW system, its possible to be stuck with starting a bye week player.

I came close to it this week. I only carry 1 kicker, and have at least 2 of everything else. Having Desmond Clark and Vernon Davis as my TEs, I had to grab a TE. My kicker was on a bye, and I put in for 2 other kickers. Wouldn't you know it, BOTH the kickers I wanted were taken before my second round selection.

We run a supplemental draft after initial add/drops on only the players dropped that week. Fortunately someone dropped a kicker and I picked him up, although it was Gostowski. Our league penalizes missed kicks heavily, so he wasn't necessarily a good play. After the supplemental draft, no more add/drops can be done until the following week.

So, again, certain sytems can lead to such a possibility. However, I think if your waiver system allows for a free add/drops period, there's no reason to not drop a bye player for an active player.