[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Starting bye week players

theeohiostate

As I stated previously, there are several reasons for owners to elect to not drop a player on their roster for a bye-week fill-in. In these cases, doing so has nothing to do with "bad ownership" and has everything to do with being a savvy owner who is more concerned about the rest of the season than one particular week.

Why should an owner care about inadvertently "throwing another owner a bone"? He's supposed to care about HIS team and HIS team alone.

Yeah, and when he gets screwed by another "savvy owner" starting players on their bye against his division rival, you can guarantee he'll come in here steamed as hell and asking how he can best kick that dude out of the league. Again, if your league is set up so that you'd have to drop a good player to hold a second kicker on your roster, or if starting a mediocre defense is worse than starting no defense at all, then there's a huge problem with the league setup and/or scoring system. Those things should then be changed. No excuse.

Rules that penalize bye-week starts are for leagues with lazy or corrupt owners. You can avoid this mess simply by playing with better people.

Yeah, like people that understand you put in your best lineup every week to make the whole league as fair and even as possible.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A better owner would not intentionally leave a bye week player in the game.

Dude, your missing the point, the better owner WANTS to WIN, if starting a bye week players helps him to accomplish this, then saying that he's a bad owner is flat out the dumbest comment i've ever heard.

Dude, your missing the point, the better owner WANTS to WIN, if starting a bye week players helps him to accomplish this, then saying that he's a bad owner is flat out the dumbest comment i've ever heard.

If starting a player on a bye helps you win, you're playing in a retarded league. No application to FF in general. You do not start players on a bye, end of story.

Peace

policy

As I stated previously, there are several reasons for owners to elect to not drop a player on their roster for a bye-week fill-in. In these cases, doing so has nothing to do with "bad ownership" and has everything to do with being a savvy owner who is more concerned about the rest of the season than one particular week.

Why should an owner care about inadvertently "throwing another owner a bone"? He's supposed to care about HIS team and HIS team alone.

Well said, some people just don't get the direction of this post obviously. The want to try to tie an owner starting a bye week player as a "bad" or "non-active" owner, when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the point here.

Yeah, and when he gets screwed by another "savvy owner" starting players on their bye, you can guarantee he'll come in here steamed as hell and asking how he can best kick that dude out of the league.

Unless there's evidence of collusion, it's not the bye-week owner's job to beat other teams for you. Owners need to act in THEIR best interest, not yours. Dropping Jerious Norwood or Bernard Berrian into the FA pool to pick up a bye-week kicker is obviously not in their best interest.

Again, if your league is set up so that you'd have to drop a good player to hold a second kicker on your roster, or if starting a mediocre defense is worse than starting no defense at all, then there's a huge problem with the league setup and/or scoring system. Those things should then be changed. No excuse.

Agreed that more roster spots might not be a bad idea, but I disagree with your totalitarian approach to running leagues. Where do you draw the line? Do you reject trades when you SUSPECT that one owner is getting taken advantage of? Do you call out other owners when they start what you believe are the "wrong" players on a particular weekend?

Well said, some people just don't get the direction of this post obviously. The want to try to tie an owner starting a bye week player as a "bad" or "non-active" owner, when it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the point here.

Uh, the title of this thread is "starting bye week players". Your first post just asks if people have rules against it in their leagues, and you outline a scenario where you'd rather draft and bid on sleeper skill players than be forced to pick up a second kicker or defense.

All of this is, then, absolutely on topic.

Peace

policy

If starting a player on a bye helps you win, you're playing in a retarded league. No application to FF in general. You do not start players on a bye, end of story.

Peace

policy

You must be correct sir, i suppose i'm playing with a bunch of retards.

List of Huddler owners in our league that allow a bye week player to be started

Perchoutofwater

Sgt.Ryan

URLACHERisGOD

rbmcdonald

Droobie42

thecerwin

Gonkis

List of owners in our league that would rather start a bye week D then their own D

yo mama

TDFFFreak

BigMikeinNY

tonorator

Kid Cid

PantherDave

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Apocalypse

ksu70

With some of the comments here, it appears that some our in favor of teams having to forfeit a weeks game if they can't line up and active full roster. :D

Many leagues have ALL starting QB's and RB's taken as well as Defenses. Am i to assume since you can't obtain an ACTIVE starter you are a "bad" owner, trying to tank games :lol:

I play in 32 Homers league and bye week players are started virtually every week, still no disqualifications there thankfully :D

I suppose in the BCS or Bling Bling league i'm in, if i run out of free agent money before week 10 trying to improve my team and don't have a bye week kicker for week 9 , then i should ask the league to give me 0 and a forfeit. :lol:

Edited by theeohiostate

If your rules are set up where starting a D that isnt even playing will help you more then starting a D that is playing something is terribly wrong with your scoring system..You can throw all the huddle names you want at me .

It essentially takes a lot of competition out of the league IMO..Instead of someone being forced to actually act like a competitive owner and seek out a better D or trade for one you are giving the option of sitting it out ..Im using a D as examples this could apply for any position.

Edited by whomper

Many leagues have ALL starting QB's and RB's taken as well as Defenses. Am i to assume since you can't obtain an ACTIVE starter you are a "bad" owner, trying to tank games

No, no. Different story. If your D is on a bye and there is no other D to pick up, all are owned, there's nothing you can do. But to leave the spot on a bye when you can but won't make a move is not cool. There is a difference between not being able to make a move and not making one because you don't want to.

Just my opinion. Seems that there are many leagues who don't have a problem with this. I know in mine, it would be a hugh issue.

Edited by The Wolf

Perchoutofwater

Sgt.Ryan

URLACHERisGOD

rbmcdonald

Droobie42

thecerwin

Gonkis

List of owners in our league that would rather start a bye week D then their own D

yo mama

TDFFFreak

BigMikeinNY

tonorator

Kid Cid

PantherDave

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Apocalypse

ksu70

Whoa there chachi, don't pretend to speak for me.

While I think the defensive scoring sucks (I STILL blame DMD for this) don't even begin to think I'll start a bye week D. That's not FF IMO and I want no part of it.

Perchoutofwater

Sgt.Ryan

URLACHERisGOD

rbmcdonald

Droobie42

thecerwin

Gonkis

yo mama

TDFFFreak

BigMikeinNY

tonorator

Kid Cid

PantherDave

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Apocalypse

ksu70

LOL @ TOS throwing Huddlers under the bus... :D

Whoa there chachi, don't pretend to speak for me.

While I think the defensive scoring sucks (I STILL blame DMD for this) don't even begin to think I'll start a bye week D. That's not FF IMO and I want no part of it.

Note Kid, i said would RATHER start. :D

I think we would all rather start a bye week D and take a 0 rather then i wavier D and get -10 to -20 points.

That was the point of my post when linking some league members.

Unless there's evidence of collusion, it's not the bye-week owner's job to beat other teams for you. Owners need to act in THEIR best interest, not yours. Dropping Jerious Norwood or Bernard Berrian into the FA pool to pick up a bye-week kicker is obviously not in their best interest.

Agreed that more roster spots might not be a bad idea, but I disagree with your totalitarian approach to running leagues. Where do you draw the line? Do you reject trades when you SUSPECT that one owner is getting taken advantage of? Do you call out other owners when they start what you believe are the "wrong" players on a particular weekend?

Absolutely not. Just the opposite, in fact. Trades should never be disallowed unless there is PROOF of collusion. Starting lineups should never be questioned unless inactive players are started when active players are available. One man's steak is another man's poison and vice versa. However, starting an inactive player is always bad, it's bad for the league, it's bad ownership, and it's bad sportsmanship. For the millionth time, if a league is set up so that it truly is a competitve disadvantage to have a second kicker or defense, or it truly is worse to start a mediocre player than no player at all, then the league is broken and needs to be fixed.

Peace

policy

Absolutely not. Just the opposite, in fact. Trades should never be disallowed unless there is PROOF of collusion. Starting lineups should never be questioned unless inactive players are started when active players are available. One man's steak is another man's poison and vice versa. However, starting an inactive player is always bad, it's bad for the league, it's bad ownership, and it's bad sportsmanship. For the millionth time, if a league is set up so that it truly is a competitve disadvantage to have a second kicker or defense, or it truly is worse to start a mediocre player than no player at all, then the league is broken and needs to be fixed.

The best way to solve this problem, IMO, would be to expand roster to, say, 18 players. However, one also runs into the stacking-rosters-with-players problem then as well.

Unless there is obvious collusion, an owner should be allowed to set the roster however he/she desires. I've played in leagues with smaller (12-player) rosters and have seen many owners not bother replacing their bye-week kickers and DTs because they don't want to drop a player from their bench. I never won a championship in that league and I'm sure that one of these other owners inadvertently helped an opponent beat me. And it never really bothered me. JMO.

With some of the comments here, it appears that some our in favor of teams having to forfeit a weeks game if they can't line up and active full roster. :D

Many leagues have ALL starting QB's and RB's taken as well as Defenses. Am i to assume since you can't obtain an ACTIVE starter you are a "bad" owner, trying to tank games :brew:

I play in 32 Homers league and bye week players are started virtually every week, still no disqualifications there thankfully :D

I suppose in the BCS or Bling Bling league i'm in, if i run out of free agent money before week 10 trying to improve my team and don't have a bye week kicker for week 9 , then i should ask the league to give me 0 and a forfeit. :lol:

For starters, 32 Homers is a totally different proposition.

For seconds, I'm not repeating myself anymore. Everyone should have two kickers and two defenses, or your WW system should allow for the picking up of bye week covers. Starting an inactive player on purpose should never be an advantageous play, and if it is, then your rules are set up badly--you're not playing FF at that point. You might as well stop drafting kickers and defenses entirely. Hell, why stop there? Stop drafting QBs, WRs, and TEs, and just play Fantasy Running Backs. :lol:

Peace

policy

yo mama

TDFFFreak

BigMikeinNY

tonorator

Kid Cid

PantherDave

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Apocalypse

ksu70

I can't speak for anyone else in our league, but I'd rather start a DEF that plays. I just wish I wasn't punished for doing so, relative to starting a DEF on a bye.

Edited by yo mama

The best way to solve this problem, IMO, would be to expand roster to, say, 18 players. However, one also runs into the stacking-rosters-with-players problem then as well.

Not if you require two defenses and two kickers be on the roster, or make WW transactions easy. In Dynasty Wars, I only carry one kicker, Jason Elam. This year, the week before his bye, I picked up Morten Andersen for $2 our of a $70/yr allotment, and Andersen when out and kicked five field goals. Any owner with a pulse should be able to handle this concept. But no, some would rather throw a game than have to deal with the most basic of FF concepts: pay attention, and turn in your best lineup every week.

Unless there is obvious collusion, an owner should be allowed to set the roster however he/she desires. I've played in leagues with smaller (12-player) rosters and have seen many owners not bother replacing their bye-week kickers and DTs because they don't want to drop a player from their bench. I never won a championship in that league and I'm sure that one of these other owners inadvertently helped an opponent beat me. And it never really bothered me. JMO.

Uh, well, yay for you, I guess. I'd rather play in a well-run, well-set-up, fair league.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote