[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ok how do I handle this..

Azazello1313

this is occurring in a local league i'm in with another huddler (thews) and a bunch of guys he works with. the commish is a guy i don't really know.

so anyway last wednesday, through the league website, i agree to a trade where i acquire willis mcgahee for donovan mcnabb (i have palmer as well, and he was relying on carr/brunell). the league requires commish approval on all trades, and he was off cavorting on a long golf weekend or something and i guess he didn't get around to processing the trade until this (monday) morning.

by the time saturday night rolls around and the trade still wasn't processed, i go ahead and set my lineup with ronnie brown and thomas jones. i was a little annoyed the commish was awol, but i didn't feel strongly enough about mcgahee (who ended up with 82 yards and 1 TD) over either jones (107 yards, 2 TDs) or brown (111 yards) to feel like i needed to post on the league message board that i wanted to start mcgahee or anything like that. i mean, i could have easily created a time-stamped post with the lineup i wanted to declare, but i didn't...i just went with brown and jones and figured i'd have mcgahee next week.

so this morning the commish sees the trade and processes it. then he emails me asking who i would have started, and i said, basically, well if the trade was processed when i set my lineup i probably would have gone with brown and mcgahee, but it wasn't so that's beside the point.

so he went in and changed my lineup retroactively, taking jones and his two-TD performance (which of course i was pumping my fist and cheering for last night) and plopping him on my bench.

oh and guess who i'm playing against this week? yeah, the commish. :D don't know for sure that it changes the outcome...i was about 6 down with akers and the eagles D still to play tonight against jennings for him, now i'm about 15 down....so the chances are pretty good it DOES change the outcome.

so, if you were in my shoes what would you do? make a stink? take the lumps? i'm a little pissed about it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way he goes in and changes your lineup after the fact. That is BS. I would definately make a stink about it. I bet he wouldn't have changed your lineup if McGahee had outscored Jones.

Edited by BYoder

this is occurring in a local league i'm in with another huddler (thews) and a bunch of guys he works with. the commish is a guy i don't really know.

so anyway last wednesday, through the league website, i agree to a trade where i acquire willis mcgahee for donovan mcnabb (i have palmer as well, and he was relying on carr/brunell). the league requires commish approval on all trades, and he was off cavorting on a long golf weekend or something and i guess he didn't get around to processing the trade until this (monday) morning.

by the time saturday night rolls around and the trade still wasn't processed, i go ahead and set my lineup with ronnie brown and thomas jones. i was a little annoyed the commish was awol, but i didn't feel strongly enough about mcgahee (who ended up with 82 yards and 1 TD) over either jones (107 yards, 2 TDs) or brown (111 yards) to feel like i needed to post on the league message board that i wanted to start mcgahee or anything like that. i mean, i could have easily created a time-stamped post with the lineup i wanted to declare, but i didn't...i just went with brown and jones and figured i'd have mcgahee next week.

so this morning the commish sees the trade and processes it. then he emails me asking who i would have started, and i said, basically, well if the trade was processed when i set my lineup i probably would have gone with brown and mcgahee, but it wasn't so that's beside the point.

so he went in and changed my lineup retroactively, taking jones and his two-TD performance (which of course i was pumping my fist and cheering for last night) and plopping him on my bench.

oh and guess who i'm playing against this week? yeah, the commish. :D don't know for sure that it changes the outcome...i was about 6 down with akers and the eagles D still to play tonight against jennings for him, now i'm about 15 down....so the chances are pretty good it DOES change the outcome.

so, if you were in my shoes what would you do? make a stink? take the lumps? i'm a little pissed about it.

If what I put bold is exactly what you said he has absolutely no right to change your lineup..The fact that he left the league in limbo including trades and possibly waivers is all I need to know about this guy as commish..If im ever away for any reason I give commish access to another owner I trust..Id be very cautious of a guy asking that question monday after the games are played..If he asked the guy I was playing and changed the lineups after I though I was playing a specific lineup and saw no timestamped message from that guy I would go through the ceiling..

like you said.. if you were compelled to start willis, you would have posted it. you elected not to. not sure what the other guy did with regard to mcnabb, but i don't think it's good policy to approach owners after the fact with regard to "who they would have started."

i think your original lineup should stand.

If what I put bold is exactly what you said he has absolutely no right to change your lineup..The fact that he left the league in limbo including trades and possibly waivers is all I need to know about this guy as commish..If im ever away for any reason I give commish access to another owner I trust..Id be very cautious of a guy asking that question monday after the games are played..If he asked the guy I was playing and changed the lineups after I though I was playing a specific lineup and saw no timestamped message from that guy I would go through the ceiling..

+1

Did the other guy complain? I probably has an affect on him as well, especially if he started Brunell.

Yes the trade was accepted and waiting for commish approval, but once the games start and those guys are in your lineup I think the trade is put on hold until the following week. The Commish should also have verified with both teams that the trade was still in play.

like you said.. if you were compelled to start willis, you would have posted it. you elected not to. not sure what the other guy did with regard to mcnabb, but i don't think it's good policy to approach owners after the fact with regard to "who they would have started."

i think your original lineup should stand.

In that case, I would have benched Alex Smith last week and picked up a QB with a pulse... :D

This is one of the most unjust moves I have EVER seen by a commish. You need to protest this to the fullest possible extent. Even if he could retroactively change your roster, you were PROBABLY going to start mcgahee. That does not mean your were going to start him. If this is a money league and he does not change it, I would demand that I get money back. This guy has no business being a commish.

Flat out, you should not commish if you can't do the deadlines. If the trade was't processed by the correct time it should be null and void for the week. Whatever lineups the teams posted through the league's system should stand.

I would make exception to this if you had taken the following actions. If I had been in the situation and wanted this trade legal for this week, I would have called the other owner and together emailed the league. I would have stated our trade, the line ups we wanted to use if the trade had been approved, and the reason why the email was necessary because of the neglect of the commissioner to his duties. This way you would have had a time stamped record of all the aspects of the situation.

Bad deal, bad commissioner.

Edited by Coyote

+1

Did the other guy complain? I probably has an affect on him as well, especially if he started Brunell.

Yes the trade was accepted and waiting for commish approval, but once the games start and those guys are in your lineup I think the trade is put on hold until the following week. The Commish should also have verified with both teams that the trade was still in play.

i don't see anything worng with the trade. owners would need to specifiy who of the new players they would start (via email, message board, voicemail, whatever)

I'd raise a fuss. He thinks he can make up rules as he goes along. If the trade wasn't processed, then the line submitted stands.

Az,

He asked you who you would have started, and you said Brown and McGahee. McGahee was a given, so that leaves either Brown or Jones. Brown should have done better against Houston, and all the commish wanted to know who you would have started. We left Thursday for a poker/golf weekend, so it's why it went undetected. Another thing to note is the scoring/playoff system. Everyone makes the playoffs. The big money goes to #1 and #2 in total points, and the only thing you gain by being top two in the division is a week 13 and 14 bye. What if McGahee got hurt? What if Jones stunk it up? It all comes down to your word, and that's all that defines what should happen. This league is about 10 years running and we're all friends. If you would have started Brown/McGahee, then it turned out like it should have. JMHO, and I assure you there wasn't an after-the-fact commish manipulation going on. He took you for your word... that's how life should work.

Az,

...who you would have started...

Would have, could have, should have.

The trade was not acknowledged by the league (commissioner or other) prior to the start of play yesterday. Therefore, it had not taken place prior to the start of play. Which means there was no trade as far as the league was concerend.

You need to get a new Commissioner, or a new league.

Lame league alert...

Az,

He asked you who you would have started, and you said Brown and McGahee. McGahee was a given, so that leaves either Brown or Jones. Brown should have done better against Houston, and all the commish wanted to know who you would have started. We left Thursday for a poker/golf weekend, so it's why it went undetected. Another thing to note is the scoring/playoff system. Everyone makes the playoffs. The big money goes to #1 and #2 in total points, and the only thing you gain by being top two in the division is a week 13 and 14 bye. What if McGahee got hurt? What if Jones stunk it up? It all comes down to your word, and that's all that defines what should happen. This league is about 10 years running and we're all friends. If you would have started Brown/McGahee, then it turned out like it should have. JMHO, and I assure you there wasn't an after-the-fact commish manipulation going on. He took you for your word... that's how life should work.

Yes Az, its your fault! If the commissioner does his job, Az might have stared at his lineup and done one of those last minute changes we have all done that we usually regret. You do not know what would have happened. The commish is wrong and the lineups should stand as if nothing took place, because nothing did take place. The commish did not hold up to his responsibilities and Az has nothing to apologize for. He could have been more proactive about getting the situation out there but under the rules he shouldn't have too.

Commish should be fired. Apologies to all owners.