[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Haynesworth SUSPENDED

theeohiostate

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between what Haynesworth did and stabbing someone in the face? That is basically what he did. Is it because it happened on the football field? Why should he be above the law just because it happened during an NFL game?

One involves a knife and one involves a shoe!

You can't compare, just like you can't compare boxing or mma to events in real life.

If a boxer put pieces of metal in his gloves with intent to injure a player, then it should be compared to "real life". What Haynesworth did was beyond anything that should happen on a football field. That is why it should be viewed like any other aggrivated assault. If he made a clean hit and broke the guys leg or tore up his knee that is part of the game. Taking off a guys helmet and stomping him in the face with cleats while the guy is on the ground is way beyond football.

If a boxer put pieces of metal in his gloves with intent to injure a player, then it should be compared to "real life". What Haynesworth did was beyond anything that should happen on a football field. That is why it should be viewed like any other aggrivated assault. If he made a clean hit and broke the guys leg or tore up his knee that is part of the game. Taking off a guys helmet and stomping him in the face with cleats while the guy is on the ground is way beyond football.

If he'd have stashed a machete in his jock, and wacked him, I'd agree with you. I'm just not going to hold him responsible for having legal foot wear on.

I'm not justifying what he did....just think 5 games suspended is a good penalty.

Bertuzzi got suspended by the NHL for the rest of the season and had criminal charges pressed aginst him for punching a guy from behind. This idiot takes of a guys helmet and stomps him with metal cleats. 5 games is pathetic if you ask me.

wow, that is weak. bertuzzi broke steve moore's (the really bad word)ing NECK and ended his career. gurode got some stitches.

wow, that is weak. bertuzzi broke steve moore's (the really bad word)ing NECK and ended his career. gurode got some stitches.

Lets see....you attack someone at your place of work, what happens, you get fired and probably arrested but since it a "Professional" football player it's ok because he only caused someone to get stitches?? :D This is a sport not Rollerball :D

:D hope fisher adds 7 more games to that, or flat-out kicks him off.

Agree +1. Should have been kicked out for the season and his entire salary confiscated. He played stupid and was showing an attitude to Coach Fisher when he was taken out of the field. I don't care what he says now.

Adios! :D

Is there a fine to go with this too? Something at least $75,000 sounds right.

He loses 5/16th of his pay. That is a HUGH fine!

So last night on MNF, they said that 5 games unpaid works out to roughly $500k fine.

Now I'm curious...all those other guys who get suspended for a day here and there for the normal sort of wrongdoing...is that NOT unpaid?

Thats true but I dont think the severity of the injury should be the the deciding factor in the suspension. What he did to Gurode couldve lead to a much more serious injury. He just got lucky..When you do something that very easily couldve blinded someone you should be penalized (by the nfl) as such.

One involves premeditation and the other involves normal equipment. There's a difference. And you won't see me resort to immature name calling.

Stick around for a while, we'll break you down and have you cursing in no time.

Here's the Bertuzzi link if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdS8SDc37s

Stick around for a while, we'll break you down and have you cursing in no time.

Here's the Bertuzzi link if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdS8SDc37s

Never!

I'll drop it after this. :D

I played a little college football. I was a right tackle. I would say that in an average game a defensive lineman would break the "non football work law" about Mmm...5 times. Usually attempted shots to solar plexes--an occasional groin shot or elbow to the throat while on the ground. Obviously he'd be in jail if he did it to the Nancy, office secretary.

I in turn would counter that with shots to the adam's apple. I'm not even sure that either were particularily illegal. No flags were ever called on punches/groin shots/throat shots.

Should law enforcement investigate these? This Haynesworth case was on tv and particularily bad. He was fined 500k (missed games) I'm sure the stomp wans't unprovoked. If it's found out that he was hit in the nads a couple times or a lucky throat shot got through under his facemask, should the 'victim' be charged too?

Its better to let the NFL take care of it and not mess with the game by getting law enforcement involved. Thats a can o'worms I don't want opened.

I'm done! I just hate to see all the freakin political correctness.

Never!

I'll drop it after this. :D

I played a little college football. I was a right tackle. I would say that in an average game a defensive lineman would break the "non football work law" about Mmm...5 times. Usually attempted shots to solar plexes--an occasional groin shot or elbow to the throat while on the ground. Obviously he'd be in jail if he did it to the Nancy, office secretary.

I in turn would counter that with shots to the adam's apple. I'm not even sure that either were particularily illegal. No flags were ever called on punches/groin shots/throat shots.

Should law enforcement investigate these? This Haynesworth case was on tv and particularily bad. He was fined 500k (missed games) I'm sure the stomp wans't unprovoked. If it's found out that he was hit in the nads a couple times or a lucky throat shot got through under his facemask, should the 'victim' be charged too?

Its better to let the NFL take care of it and not mess with the game by getting law enforcement involved. Thats a can o'worms I don't want opened.

I'm done! I just hate to see all the freakin political correctness.

Couldn't agree more. The NFL is about violence. They advertise viscious hits all the time. They hand out fines for these hits and then show them while advertising the product. I think he deserved a fine, but given a choice, I would rather get a cut on my face then suffer a helmet to helmet hit. Those usually result in a fine, not usually game suspensions. Anyone making arguments about what would happen if I were at work and someone stepped on my face is silly. Your not expected to physically destroy the oposition at the office or the corner coffee stand. That's all we need is more Oprahing lawsuits. The guy isn't going to miss a game. He is a football player.

Our people that naive to think that this doesn't go on in the trenches. We all love the violence, but when the camera catches it we want the police and lawyers involved so that an example will be set. Haynesworth deserves to be fined and suspended 1 or 2 games at the most.

Edited by Bushey

Couldn't agree more. The NFL is about violence. They advertise viscious hits all the time. They hand out fines for these hits and then show them while advertising the product. I think he deserved a fine, but given a choice, I would rather get a cut on my face then suffer a helmet to helmet hit. Those usually result in a fine, not usually game suspensions. Anyone making arguments about what would happen if I were at work and someone stepped on my face is silly. Your not expected to physically destroy the oposition at the office or the corner coffee stand. That's all we need is more Oprahing lawsuits. The guy isn't going to miss a game. He is a football player.

Our people that naive to think that this doesn't go on in the trenches. We all love the violence, but when the camera catches it we want the police and lawyers involved so that an example will be set. Haynesworth deserves to be fined and suspended 1 or 2 games at the most.

:D

Anyone making arguments about what would happen if I were at work and someone stepped on my face is silly. Your not expected to physically destroy the oposition at the office or the corner coffee stand.

But, But, But, what about Terry Tate Office Linebacker

One involves a knife and one involves a shoe!

i was on a jury once where a sneaker was the primary "weapon" in dispute. lawyers can make a weapon out of anything, especially if it has metal spikes attached to it.

How does this guy not get charged with a crime? If any of us did that oh lets say to a guy in a bar we would go right to jail. Does the fact that this happened on a pro football field make it ok? Do players get some kind of exemption or what? 5 games is a joke!!!

A lot happens on a football field that would get you arrested if it happened in a bar. It's a stupid comparison.