[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Haynesworth SUSPENDED

theeohiostate

So it's all good if it happens on the field? Wow.

That is what gets me. People keep saying it wasn't that bad because it happened on a football field and football is a violent sport. Maybe that is the reason these players act the way they do. Some people are just so ready to forgive football players because they play in a violent sport. If these guys don't know when to stop on the field how are they expected to know when to stop off the field? Plus Haynesworth has a history of violence that includes going after a teammate with a bat or pole during a practice in college. It is a shame but this guy is going to have to kill someone before something happens to him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what gets me. People keep saying it wasn't that bad because it happened on a football field and football is a violent sport. Maybe that is the reason these players act the way they do. Some people are just so ready to forgive football players because they play in a violent sport. If these guys don't know when to stop on the field how are they expected to know when to stop off the field? Plus Haynesworth has a history of violence that includes going after a teammate with a bat or pole during a practice in college. It is a shame but this guy is going to have to kill someone before something happens to him.

I would argue that helmet to hemet hits are the most dangerous acts of violence on the football filed. The NFL fines players for those hits. This is against the rules. Are you ready to prosecute these people for assault every time it occurs? Isn't it assault? it is against the rules of the game. When a safety is bearing down on a reciever he isn't thinking "Oh golly, I better not hit him too hard, I might break the rules." The only thing they are thinking is to separate the reciver from the ball. If you are ready to prosecute these individuals lets start with John Lynch.

Viscious hits

Please, explain to me why a cleat to the face is over 500,000 and one of Lynch's patented helmet to helmet hits is only 7,500?

Conrad Dobler is in the HOF and used to do these kinds of things all the time. Should Haynesworth be suspended? Yes. Should he be fined? Yes. Should he be put in jail? No. Is jail a good place to help someone with an anger problem? No.

Please, explain to me why a cleat to the face is over 500,000 and one of Lynch's patented helmet to helmet hits is only 7,500?

Because it was totally outside the rules, helmet to helmets COULD be non-intentional, cleats to a face are ALWAYS intentional. What makes a sports arena a 'SAFE ZONE' for felonious acts?

Because it was totally outside the rules, helmet to helmets COULD be non-intentional, cleats to a face are ALWAYS intentional. What makes a sports arena a 'SAFE ZONE' for felonious acts?

So, by your logic, any baseball pitcher that hits a batter with a ball at 100mph should be put in jail. Don't give me that crap about intention either. A pitcher is almost always ordered by the manager to hit a batter for revenge.

Exactly. You cannot prove that a helmet to helmet hit was done intentionally, but what Haynesworth did was obviously intentional. He took of the guys helmet and then stomped him not once, but twice.

So, by your logic, any baseball pitcher that hits a batter with a ball at 100mph should be put in jail. Don't give me that crap about intention either. A pitcher is almost always ordered by the manager to hit a batter for revenge.

If you can prove the pitcher intentionally threw at the batter then yes, I would say they should be in the same situation. You cannot argue that Haynsworth didn't intend to do what he did.

If you can prove the pitcher intentionally threw at the batter then yes, I would say they should be in the same situation. You cannot argue that Haynsworth didn't intend to do what he did.

Leave Baseball out of this. There are gay(no offense) unwritten rules in baseball that are so stupid.

Helmet to helmet is soooooooooo different than this that it's not worth arguing, so I won't. Sorry I mentioned the baseball thing but after a some what futile year watching the Sox(White) this year and listening to Hawk and DJ say some dumb things(about hitting batters and getting back) it makes me crazy. Bottom line then: Throw this thug a "blanket party" after his first game back! :D

By the way, for the record I am on your side I just don't see the hitting a batter intentionally as an equal situation. I wasn't attacking you.

(Love your avy)

Look, even if intentional, the baseball analogy is pure bunk, in part because "cleating to the face" isn't part of the game, whereas crowding the plate, brushback pitches, payback pitches are part of the context of the game, and perhaps most importantly: involve the possible victim looking directly at the point the ball is being released, not lying prone on the ground, in a pile of people, and having cheap shot of cheap shots blindside you with your arms pinned.

And if these unwritten rules are "gay" then where was the bench clearing brawl on the part of the Cowboys for having their player's back? :D

Look, even if intentional, the baseball analogy is pure bunk, in part because "cleating to the face" isn't part of the game, whereas crowding the plate, brushback pitches, payback pitches are part of the context of the game, and perhaps most importantly: involve the possible victim looking directly at the point the ball is being released, not lying prone on the ground, in a pile of people, and having cheap shot of cheap shots blindside you with your arms pinned.

And if these unwritten rules are "gay" then where was the bench clearing brawl on the part of the Cowboys for having their player's back? :D

"Touche" :D

I just mean that it's a completly different sport.

If the sidelines saw what happened and didn't react then that shows the difference in the sports even more. I for one would have been lke a rabbid dog on that fat f@ck.

"Touche" :D

I just mean that it's a completly different sport.

If the sidelines saw what happened and didn't react then that shows the difference in the sports even more. I for one would have been lke a rabbid dog on that fat f@ck.

You guys are missing the boat on this. Assualt is assualt. Throwing a ball at someone's head is WAY more violent. You think it's different becuase of some unwritten rules??? Hockey fist fights is just another example of the violence that ytou speak of. None of those guys get prosecuted. The fact that none of Goroude's teammates did nothing to Haynesworth is what is shocking.

Get over it and move on. Violence is a part of sports. Keep the blood thirsty lawyers out of it. Let the NFL poilce this. :D

You guys are missing the boat on this. Assualt is assualt. Throwing a ball at someone's head is WAY more violent. You think it's different becuase of some unwritten rules??? Hockey fist fights is just another example of the violence that ytou speak of. None of those guys get prosecuted. The fact that none of Goroude's teammates did nothing to Haynesworth is what is shocking.

Get over it and move on. Violence is a part of sports. Keep the blood thirsty lawyers out of it. Let the NFL poilce this. :D

In general I'm not arguing with you. Money dictates what happens within the sport world. (and out?) Some hockey players have been prosecuted, so your ship is taking on water...... :D

I agree with the baseball thing. I think pitches should be able to "brush back" batters who are crowding the plate. If the pitch gets away from them it is an accident. If the pitcher intentionally throws at a guy that is wrong.

You can't be serious about hockey fights. In hockey there are two people in a one on one fight. If a hockey player stepped on another players face while he was down then I would agree.

As long as it happens on a football field it is fine. It is a violent sport so mauling a guy while he is lying down is perfectly fine. Just suspend him for a few games. I'm sure his history of violence will be cured by a 5 game suspension. Don't hold anyone accountable because god forbid if the sport gets hurt in any way. Who cares about the players? How hard is that to understand? :D

Good point, Pope.

*sigh* Your BB analogy/comparison is so not applicable, I won't comment on it. Show me wear cleats to the face is 'part of the game'? Bushey, You don't get it and never will.

Interesting article in the Chi Trib (apologize if already posted). I don't agree w/ everything he says, but he makes some good points:

New definition of 'in your face' not surprising

Published October 4, 2006

The public reaction to Albert Haynesworth's punt of Andre Gurode's face has ranged from indignation to horror.

And the question of the day is, Why?

Why are we so surprised one NFL player would inflict violence on another player during a game? A week doesn't seem to go by without a player doing something criminal off the field. Why would we be stunned when an athlete exhibits antisocial behavior on the field?

That's if you consider kicking another human being in the face to be antisocial.

The NFL suspended Haynesworth, a Titans defensive tackle, for kicking and stomping Gurode after the Cowboys center had lost his helmet in the third quarter Sunday. The cuts required 30 stitches. Sometimes that seems like a regular night out for an NFL player.

Look, these are not well-balanced people. These are violent people. That, in part, is what makes them good football players. And it's why we tune in, buy tickets, plan Super Bowl parties.

Would anything about former linebacker Bill Romanowski make you want him as a co-worker? Except for all the free vitamins, probably not. You wouldn't want a loogie arriving unannounced from the next cubicle. But if he had been on an NFL team you rooted for, you loved him. He was tough, determined and more than a little nuts.

Is it not difficult to picture getting into a fight with a fellow employee at an outing? But that's what the Bears' Olin Kreutz and Fred Miller did at an FBI shooting range last year. It started with a Kreutz punch that broke Miller's jaw and ended with Miller flinging a 5-pound weight at Kreutz's head, opening a gash that required 13 stitches.

And how many times have you walked into a Denny's and gotten into an altercation with another diner? That's what happened to Bears defensive back Ricky Manning Jr., who recently pleaded no contest to assault charges after allegedly poking a man in the head earlier in the year.

Admit it, we shrug: These things happen all the time with these kinds of people. (Sociologists argue the incidence rate of crime among pro athletes is no higher than it is among the general population—particularly among the population of young black men.)

So why, then, were we shocked when Haynesworth kicked Gurode? Maybe because we've been fooling ourselves. Maybe because we've been separating ourselves from the reality that these are fierce human beings with who-knows-what coursing through their veins. I'm not sure what we thought. That this was a choreographed reality show?

You really wouldn't want to meet some of these people in a dark alley.

The image of Gurode getting acquainted with Haynesworth's cleat was sickening. The NFL responded quickly by suspending Haynesworth without pay for five games.

If you think this was an isolated incident, that Haynesworth simply had a bad moment, think again. According to the Associated Press, while at the University of Tennessee, he fought with teammate Will Ofenheusle at practice, then returned with a long pole before coach Phillip Fulmer stopped him. He also kicked then-teammate Justin Hartwig during Titans training camp in 2003.

He was accused of trying to run another car off the highway in May. Charges eventually were dropped.

If he were a singer, his band would be called "Violent Tendencies." And guess what? He will be playing football for years because he's 6 feet 6 inches, 320 pounds and talented. When it comes to talent, NFL head coaches are the most forgiving people in the world.

Emotions make football players do really, really stupid things. Illinois wins a Big Ten game for the first time in eons, and players plant an Illini flag at midfield of Michigan State's stadium, sparking a skirmish with the Spartans. What part of the brain makes someone think that's a good idea?

Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, his team getting smoked by the Bears at Soldier Field, finally makes a decent catch and reacts with an exaggerated first-down gesture. Does he realize how dumb he looks?

That's a long way from a kick in the face, but not miles and miles. Football is not the thinking man's game. It's the emotional man's game, played by people who often are right up against the edge of sanity, especially on game day.

Who thought they could ever shock us?