[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben

HowboutthemCowboys

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big ben is not a very good fantasy QB.

The way he's playing right now, no, he isn't. He hasn't been healthy and he's still working his way back into "game shape." Hopefully the bye week helped him out. But this is one of the myths I just don't understand in fantasy football.

Roethlisberger was around 17th or 18th among QBs last year despite missing 4 games, and his points per games played was in the top 10. And he did that throwing the fewest passes per game of any starting QB. Why? Because he's a VERY efficient passer who makes the most of every opportunity.

His passing ability is severely underestimated by most people, and so is his value as a fantasy QB.

I'm sure I'll get the "he's nothing but a game manager" comment back sometime, but those comments come only from people who look only at numbers and don't watch the games.

Then why are you arguing with me?

:D

Not arguing. Discussing a point that you made that I disagree with. Isn't that what these boards are for?

Because he did that while missing 4 games.

His points per game was in the top 10.

That makes him a good fantasy QB - assuming he gets back to that point relatively soon - with the potential be a fantasy superstar if the Steelers ever open up their offense a little more.

:D

Not arguing. Discussing a point that you made that I disagree with. Isn't that what these boards are for?

Because he did that while missing 4 games.

His points per game was in the top 10.

That makes him a good fantasy QB - assuming he gets back to that point relatively soon - with the potential be a fantasy superstar if the Steelers ever open up their offense a little more.

that is what the boards are for and I appreciate the input.Thanks

That makes him a good fantasy QB -

Well, this year he is #34, including a game he missed. Last year he missed games... I do not see where he is a good fantasy QB.

with the potential be a fantasy superstar

This is off the plain of reality, not even Menyoudo will agree with that.

Well, this year he is #34, including a game he missed. Last year he missed games... I do not see where he is a good fantasy QB.

This is off the plain of reality, not even Menyoudo will agree with that.

We can agree to disagree then.

In my book, a QB who has a top 10 PPG is a good fantasy QB.

And also in my book, a QB that has a top 10 PPG while throwing the fewest passes of any starting QB has a ton of potential to improve on that if he passes more.

But hey, that's just me.

We can agree to disagree then.

And also in my book, a QB that has a top 10 PPG while throwing the fewest passes of any starting QB has a ton of potential to improve on that if he passes more.

But hey, that's just me.

The fact that he doesn't throw many passes is in itself the reason that he will not be a top fantasy QB. Being successful with few pass attempts does leave room for improvement but the Steelers game plan has always been to run the ball. Unless they are playing from behind a lot the Steelers will not put up big passing #'s on a regular basis.

Ben is a successful NFL QB at this point in his career but not a good fantasy QB.

The way he's playing right now, no, he isn't. He hasn't been healthy and he's still working his way back into "game shape." Hopefully the bye week helped him out. But this is one of the myths I just don't understand in fantasy football.

Roethlisberger was around 17th or 18th among QBs last year despite missing 4 games, and his points per games played was in the top 10. And he did that throwing the fewest passes per game of any starting QB. Why? Because he's a VERY efficient passer who makes the most of every opportunity.

His passing ability is severely underestimated by most people, and so is his value as a fantasy QB.

I'm sure I'll get the "he's nothing but a game manager" comment back sometime, but those comments come only from people who look only at numbers and don't watch the games.

Nope not from me, I noticed what you speak of and drafted him. Now I'm in a position to have to start him this week with Vick's bye week. And i don't know whether to drop him and pick someone else up or just take my lumps.

The fact that he doesn't throw many passes is in itself the reason that he will not be a top fantasy QB. Being successful with few pass attempts does leave room for improvement but the Steelers game plan has always been to run the ball. Unless they are playing from behind a lot the Steelers will not put up big passing #'s on a regular basis.

Ben is a successful NFL QB at this point in his career but not a good fantasy QB.

So, a guy who scores in the top 10 fantasy points per games played as a QB is NOT a good fantasy QB?

Interesting.

So you'd rather have a guy who scores fewer points but throws more passes?

Nope not from me, I noticed what you speak of and drafted him. Now I'm in a position to have to start him this week with Vick's bye week. And i don't know whether to drop him and pick someone else up or just take my lumps.

He obviously hasn't played up to the level he's played at for 2 years so far. Not sure if it's that his poor performance in the Super Bowl messed with his head a little, or it's more related to the motorcycle accident and/or appendectomy. I'm guessing a lot of it has been health related - i.e., not scrambling, shying away from contact.

His track record indicates that he'll be a very good QB - both NFL and fantasy - as soon as he's healthy. Just gotta hope the bye week did him some good.

I'll be very suprised if he doesn't have a strong game against the Chargers. He's had time to get healthy and prepare, and Ward's hamstring also has had 2 weeks more to heal up. His receivers also need to step up a little and eliminate the drops. Freaking Nate Washington dropped a beautiful pass late in the Cincy game in the endzone that hit him right in the chest.

Having a team of #10 point getters is an instant ticket to the champiosnship game! :D

:D My god, it's like debating with a 4 year old. I guess that's the type of response I should expect when the numbers don't support your opinion and all you can fall back on is a mis-informed opinion.

Did I say it was? I've won championships with far worse QBs than that, and there's no such thing as an instant ticket to the championship.

You said he's not a very good fantasy QB. I responded, and I call a top 10 QB in points per game a very good fantasy QB, and that's what he was in 2005. And that's what he can be again assuming health.

Doesn't really bother me if people don't want to see it. I'm just throwing it out there.

He obviously hasn't played up to the level he's played at for 2 years so far. Not sure if it's that his poor performance in the Super Bowl messed with his head a little, or it's more related to the motorcycle accident and/or appendectomy. I'm guessing a lot of it has been health related - i.e., not scrambling, shying away from contact.

His track record indicates that he'll be a very good QB - both NFL and fantasy - as soon as he's healthy. Just gotta hope the bye week did him some good.

I'll be very suprised if he doesn't have a strong game against the Chargers. He's had time to get healthy and prepare, and Ward's hamstring also has had 2 weeks more to heal up. His receivers also need to step up a little and eliminate the drops. Freaking Nate Washington dropped a beautiful pass late in the Cincy game in the endzone that hit him right in the chest.

more is on his shoulders. having to pass is not his strength, and as a result we will see more to's with the increased pass attempts. you see a strong game against sd? sure...... and ben is the only qb to ever have perfect passes dropped :D

more is on his shoulders. having to pass is not his strength, and as a result we will see more to's with the increased pass attempts. you see a strong game against sd? sure...... and ben is the only qb to ever have perfect passes dropped :D

Nah, passing isn't a strong point of his. He was only 1st (or was he 2nd) in the NFL in yards per attempt last season. My bad. Here's an opinion for you - If he played in a pass-happy offense, he'd be putting up huge passing numbers. He's got a great arm, and he shows it by taking advantage of his opportunities.

He's no different than any QB in the NFL who benefits from a strong running game.

Of course, he's not the only QB to have passes dropped. If you've watched the Steelers this year (and I assume you haven't), you've seen a lot of key drops - especially on thirds downs - that could've made his numbers a little better. But he's still played poorly so far.

As far this weekend's game, I'm not sure. He was something like 17-25 for over 200 yards and a TD against them last year in SD, and he ran for a score too. His throws need to be accurate and he needs to scramble and move the pocket like he's done for the past 2 years, and if he does, then he'll have a good game.

:D My god, it's like debating with a 4 year old. I guess that's the type of response I should expect when the numbers don't support your opinion and all you can fall back on is a mis-informed opinion.

Did I say it was? I've won championships with far worse QBs than that, and there's no such thing as an instant ticket to the championship.

You said he's not a very good fantasy QB. I responded, and I call a top 10 QB in points per game a very good fantasy QB, and that's what he was in 2005. And that's what he can be again assuming health.

Doesn't really bother me if people don't want to see it. I'm just throwing it out there.

methinks H8 was just doing a little :D don't feel bad about being lured in. he's simply one of the all-time great huddle fisherman. :lol:

Nah, passing isn't a strong point of his. He was only 1st (or was he 2nd) in the NFL in yards per attempt last season. My bad. Here's an opinion for you - If he played in a pass-happy offense, he'd be putting up huge passing numbers. He's got a great arm, and he shows it by taking advantage of his opportunities.

He's no different than any QB in the NFL who benefits from a strong running game.

Of course, he's not the only QB to have passes dropped. If you've watched the Steelers this year (and I assume you haven't), you've seen a lot of key drops - especially on thirds downs - that could've made his numbers a little better. But he's still played poorly so far.

As far this weekend's game, I'm not sure. He was something like 17-25 for over 200 yards and a TD against them last year in SD, and he ran for a score too. His throws need to be accurate and he needs to scramble and move the pocket like he's done for the past 2 years, and if he does, then he'll have a good game.

This guy is the best newcomer to arrive at this site in quite some time. Welcome aboard, be prepared for the onslaught of jealousy....... :D

methinks H8 was just doing a little :D don't feel bad about being lured in. he's simply one of the all-time great huddle fisherman. :D

:lol: Feel bad? Not at all. I enjoy talking football, and my firewall at work has now blocked footballguys.com. So, I figured I'd check this site out during the days. Saw a misinformed post about Ben, so I responded.

:D Thanks.

You the same guy who used to post that Steelers poetry stuff at FBGs?

Yep, that's me. Be prepared, I'm one of the most admired people at this site. :lol:

Edit: Uh, I mean, what is FBGs ? :D

Edited by Menudo

:D you don't get it. his throwing 20 passes or less per game significantly helps him... plus how many of those were to swp in the flat. you are very confused if you think this is the type of qb that could lead a pass first offense. your assumptions are wrong (i watch a little of every game). he is an average qb- who has been efficient because of bettis and parker. last year many things went in his favor. this year things aren't going his way and he looks terrible.... i'll say that i don't think that he is nearly as bad as his last two (3 if you include sb) game.

you are correct about qb's who benefit from a strong running game, but he is not in the same class as manning, palmer, hasselbeck.....

200 yds, 1 rushing, 1 passing. :D that is not qb stud material imo.... how many TO's you think against that d?

edit: actually, it's hard to think of such an average qb that has benefited as much as ben from the running game and d.

Edited by Bier Meister

I guess that's the type of response I should expect when the numbers don't support your opinion and all you can fall back on is a mis-informed opinion.

Uhhm... looking through this thread, it appears no one agrees with you but other stealer fans, I don't even know if Menyoudo would call Ben a good fantasy QB.