[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben

HowboutthemCowboys

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REALLY wish I had time to respond to this one, but I don't have time today. Gotta get home...

But I'll say this: The way Ben played in the first 3 playoff games is VERY indicative of how he had thrown the ball a majority of the time down the stretch. That's the type of analysis you'd get from only looking at the numbers though. He was dominant in those 3 playoff games, and he picked up the slack for a struggling running game.

The analysis by the numbers is pretty relevant when we are discussing fantasy football though and the numbers do not support Roethlisberger as being anything more than an average quarterback. The running game struggled in the playoffs because defenses committed to stopping it and allowed Roethlisberger to have an easier time passing which he took advantage of (though CIN was always his best games anyway).

You can rely on whatever qualitative measures you want, but the measureables don't suggest that Ben is anything more than an average fantasy QB. I had him ranked a bit lower than anyone else this year and so far I am okay with that. But I do not think anyone else had him ranked as a starting fantasy QB because he's just not worthy of it.

The Steelers won against the Broncos because Plummer turned the ball over 4 times. The Steelers still could not run so Ben threw the ball in a game that was over in the second quarter thanks to Plummer. They squeaked out a win over the Colts because Vandy missed a field goal and the Colts did not take them seriously enough. They beat Cincy because they took out Palmer at the first of the game. Ben didn't have anything to do with the Steelers winning the SB with only 9 of 23 passing for 123 yards and two interceptions.

I guess you can look at whatever you want to, but nothing I have seen says Ben is more than average in fantasy terms but he is a good QB for that system.

:D Stealer fans- one word for Roth- overrated.

Bier, H8, DMD- all are on the money, he is middle of the road fantasy-wise, as well as from a talent standpoint. This has been discussed over and over, IMO there are about 15 QB's I would rather have behind center than Roth........ Don't really want to list em right now.

As for watching him as a QB, and throwing the football?? he is an inconsistent, inaccurate passer that has an average arm and a suspect deep ball. Not sure how much IC you all drink in Steeltown, but he is a nice young QB that needs to really work on his skills as an NFL QB.

Although, he is the best DB/QB in the league, and his tackling skills are solid.

Bier, H8, DMD- all are on the money, he is middle of the road fantasy-wise, as well as from a talent standpoint. This has been discussed over and over, IMO there are about 15 QB's I would rather have behind center than Roth........ Don't really want to list em right now.

As for watching him as a QB, and throwing the football?? he is an inconsistent, inaccurate passer that has an average arm and a suspect deep ball. Not sure how much IC you all drink in Steeltown, but he is a nice young QB that needs to really work on his skills as an NFL QB.

Although, he is the best DB/QB in the league, and his tackling skills are solid.

His face planting abilities are solid as well.

The analysis by the numbers is pretty relevant when we are discussing fantasy football though and the numbers do not support Roethlisberger as being anything more than an average quarterback. The running game struggled in the playoffs because defenses committed to stopping it and allowed Roethlisberger to have an easier time passing which he took advantage of (though CIN was always his best games anyway).

You can rely on whatever qualitative measures you want, but the measureables don't suggest that Ben is anything more than an average fantasy QB. I had him ranked a bit lower than anyone else this year and so far I am okay with that. But I do not think anyone else had him ranked as a starting fantasy QB because he's just not worthy of it.

The Steelers won against the Broncos because Plummer turned the ball over 4 times. The Steelers still could not run so Ben threw the ball in a game that was over in the second quarter thanks to Plummer. They squeaked out a win over the Colts because Vandy missed a field goal and the Colts did not take them seriously enough. They beat Cincy because they took out Palmer at the first of the game. Ben didn't have anything to do with the Steelers winning the SB with only 9 of 23 passing for 123 yards and two interceptions.

I guess you can look at whatever you want to, but nothing I have seen says Ben is more than average in fantasy terms but he is a good QB for that system.

The numbers place Ben Roethlisberger as a top 10 fantasy QB from a points per game standpoint in 2005. That's what the numbers say, and you can twist that however you see fit. If that's average to you, great.

I'm not even going to touch the comment about why you feel they beat Cincinnati, and LOL, they won against the Broncos because Ben lit up their secondary in the first half and forced Plummer into playing from behind. They squeaked past the Colts because of a missed field goal? Yep, and let's just forget about the fact that if Polamalu's INT had been ruled correctly it never would've come to that. It was Ben's passing that gave them an early lead in that game. He obviously sucked in the Super Bowl.

It's getting to be a pretty pointless debate at this point though.

Inconsistent and inaccurate with an average arm and suspect deep ball? I take it you haven't watched him much over the past 2 years.

I can imagine someone thinking that only if they watched him for the first time in the Super Bowl last year.

Nope not from me, I noticed what you speak of and drafted him. Now I'm in a position to have to start him this week with Vick's bye week. And i don't know whether to drop him and pick someone else up or just take my lumps.

You have Roethlisberger and Vick on one fantasy team?

What, does your league penalize for passing yards? :D

I could'nt resist.

Inconsistent and inaccurate with an average arm and suspect deep ball? I take it you haven't watched him much over the past 2 years.

I can imagine someone thinking that only if they watched him for the first time in the Super Bowl last year.

:D

yep- Super Bowl was the first time seeing the big guy throw the pigskin around. All I remember is a 6'5 dork with a glove on indoors who was slinging quacking ducks all over the field with the arm strength of my little sister.

OK, then let's hear YOUR explanation of how a guy who isn't a good FF QB can have a top 10 PPG among QBs, just a hair below "studs" like Hasselbeck and Eli.

"Ben isn't a good fantasy QB" has been beaten into peoples' heads so often that they overlook the numbers that say otherwise.

:D

I have him at number 15 in fantasy points per game by QB's.

What kind of rules you using to figure this out?

he is behind..

Palmer

P Manning

Leftwich

Brady

Brees

Collins

Delhomme

Vick

Favre

E Manning

Bledsoe

McNabb

Hasslebeck

Bulger

Warner

and is in a group with McNair,Frerrotte,Plummer,Green,Brunell where they are all neck and neck.

He is most definately has proven to be a mediocre fantasy QB so far(including last year). now that may change and I am sure if he last long enough he will have a good fantasy season or 2.

Listen, even I think this debate is getting old around here. We all know where everyone stands on the issue. Not even I can say that I think he is a good FANTASY QB, considering the offense that he plays in. However, Steelers4life was pointing out his points per game numbers in his league.

The debate on how good Roethlisberger is as a real, NFL QB is as tired and played out as any subject on this message board, and I'm as much to blame as anyone. He has done some great things early in his career. Some people feel he is over-rated, some feel he is a quality QB. As someone who is a football addict, has seen every snap he has taken in the NFL, and admittedly is a homer fan, I think the guy has good mobility, leadership, and a strong arm, and up until the Super Bowl last year, was a great decision maker at the position. So far this year, he has been the opposite of all those things.

Fact is, the guy is only in his 3rd year, and he has a lot of time to answer all of our questions.

Jeez, I find homer manlove for Rothlisberger a little troubling.

No, Ben Rothlisberger is NOT a good fantasy QB. He's a good reserve fantasy QB, but thats all. Last year he finished behind the thoroughly mediocre Kerry Collins in points per game in our league.

Like your team. Like your players. Think that your players might belong in the Hall of Fame when in fact they are kind of borderline.

But don't come here and argue stuff that is demonstrably false--especially for 2 pages of worthless text.

Some of us actually come to these forums expecting some genuine insight into the games of football and fantasy football. I was hoping to get an update on Rothlisberger's condition and whether he was looking better in practice--not a bunch of yapping about how good a fantasy starter he is...