[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "I'm really bored" theory

URLACHERisGOD

If you split up Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison and put both of them on a different team, would either of them be worth a hoot? I say "no".

Here is my only "research" on the theory:

1. When CPep and Moss were on the Vikings together, they were nearly unstoppable. Two years ago CPep threw for 39 TDs just to be outdone by Manning. Now that CPep is a Dolphin (and has weapons there) and doesn't have Moss, he has completely nosedived. Don't even get me started on Moss (I have him in 3 of my FFL leagues) and his abysmal performances the past two years.

2. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice are considered by some (definately not me) as one of the most phenomenal QB/WR duos to ever play the game. When Montana went to KC, he fell off the face of the earth. Rice did continue to do well with Steve Young. However, never at the level he and Montana connected.

That's all I have for a basis for my theory.

:D Now that I think about it...maybe it's some form of Karma. Maybe I have answered my own question. Both Rice and Moss went to the Raiders and everything fell apart for all parties involved (CPep, Montana, Rice, and Moss). Manning would do well anywhere he played as long as Harrison never dons a Raiders jersey. Wow, this is a whole new theory that I may need to explore after a long day of work and not enough sleep!

Culpepper left the Vikings because he was a significant injury risk.

Montana left the Chiefs because he was old and declining, while Young was itching to start.

Rice left the 49ers because he was fossilized.

And Randy left the Vikings because he was nuts.

What does all this mean? Even before they started playing on their new teams, three of these four could have been expected to fall off the next year. Arguably, Randy could as well - because he's a moron.

Once they got to their new teams, Montana and Rice were old (though Rice performed well for a while), Culpepper has lost all his mobility and confidence, and Moss plays for the Raiders.

You chose two examples that are completely explainable.

Now consider:

1. Marvin Harrison is getting older, but he relies less on athletic ability and more on routrunning intelligence.

2. Peyton Manning is in no way getting older like Montana or an injury risk like Culpepper.

Therefore, this is a really really bad comparison.

Now get some sleep :D

If you split up Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison and put both of them on a different team, would either of them be worth a hoot? I say "no".

As a pair, they are wonderful together. Individually, Peyton has more value just because he has enough chemestry with his other targets. Marvin's value would drop some just because he wouldn't have that long-term chemestry with whoever his new quarterback was.

Both are very talented players and I would still draft them in a heartbeat even if they were not together. That being said, you can almost guarantee that both will retire as Colts.

Here is my only "research" on the theory:

1. When CPep and Moss were on the Vikings together, they were nearly unstoppable. Two years ago CPep threw for 39 TDs just to be outdone by Manning. Now that CPep is a Dolphin (and has weapons there) and doesn't have Moss, he has completely nosedived. Don't even get me started on Moss (I have him in 3 of my FFL leagues) and his abysmal performances the past two years.

2. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice are considered by some (definately not me) as one of the most phenomenal QB/WR duos to ever play the game. When Montana went to KC, he fell off the face of the earth. Rice did continue to do well with Steve Young. However, never at the level he and Montana connected.

Actually, Montana then went to the Chiefs and took them to the playoffs. He did quite well that next year (I think it was to the AFC Championship game).

Rice then went to the Raiders and had a least 2 very good years with Gannon under center.

Moss went to an absolutely horrible team, and Cpep wasn't that good to begin with.

So I think your reasoning behind this is not quite accurate. Would be an interesting test though.

Harrison's numbers the two years before Manning arrived:

64 catches 836 yards 8 TD's his rookie year

73 catches 866 yards 6 TD's in his second year

This is with quarterbacks like Jim Harbaguh and Paul Justin at the helm

I was at Marvin's first game vs. Arizona when he gathered in a 50+ yard bomb over his shoulder to beat Aeneus Williams, who was in his prime, for a TD.

Would he have the numbers he does now? Doubtful.

But he would still be a heck of a WR. His routes are unbelievable. Always have been.

Harrison's numbers the two years before Manning arrived:

64 catches 836 yards 8 TD's his rookie year

73 catches 866 yards 6 TD's in his second year

This is with quarterbacks like Jim Harbaguh and Paul Justin at the helm

I was at Marvin's first game vs. Arizona when he gathered in a 50+ yard bomb over his shoulder to beat Aeneus Williams, who was in his prime, for a TD.

Would he have the numbers he does now? Doubtful.

But he would still be a heck of a WR. His routes are unbelievable. Always have been.

his routes are unbelievable...him and torry holt

ive seen him play plenty of times

i still remember that touchdown he caught last year in gillette( i think he had two in that game)..it was a 1 yard fade...textbook manning/harrison...only those two...asante samuel was all over him....ball was in the 1 spot he could make a play on it

Actually, Montana then went to the Chiefs and took them to the playoffs. He did quite well that next year (I think it was to the AFC Championship game).

Montana played only one game in his last year in SF and was almost 37 when they released him. He still had skills, but he was a dinosaur by then.

Edited by Bill Swerski

What does all this mean? Even before they started playing on their new teams, three of these four could have been expected to fall off the next year. Arguably, Randy could as well - because he's a moron.

what the hell is that word?

Harrison and Manning are especially good because of talent yes, but you have two players who have a great work-ethic. They take studying film and working out together to a higher degree. Separately, they both would be worth a lot, but...Together, whole, they are greater than the sum of its' parts. They are examples for other NFL players what rewards are reaped when you add COMMITMENT to talent.

Edited by Tega

Agreed that Harrison works hard. But he doesn't watch film. At all.

Manning has been quoted as saying that he doesn't think Marvin could name 5 NFL cornerbacks. He doesn't watch tape. Doesn't study his opposition. He just works meticulously on his own game.

Agreed that Harrison works hard. But he doesn't watch film. At all.

Manning has been quoted as saying that he doesn't think Marvin could name 5 NFL cornerbacks. He doesn't watch tape. Doesn't study his opposition. He just works meticulously on his own game.

Good thing that Peyton watches film for him. He noticed that Rashean Mathis tends to bite on hook routes and go for the pick, so he had Marvin run a pump-and-go in a game last season. Mathis bit and Marvin could've walked into the endzone.