[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss

alexgaddis

Do you know what a c#ck Ty Cobb was? Didn't stop him from getting in.

+1,000,000

From the Wikipedia...

, Cobb assaulted Claude Lueker, a heckler, in the stands in New York. Lueker and Cobb traded insults with each other throughout the first three innings, and the situation climaxed when Lueker called Cobb a "half-***". Cobb, in his discussion of the incident (My Life in Baseball: The True Record, Ty Cobb and Al Stump, Doubleday, 1961, pp.131-135), avoided such explicit words, but alluded to it by saying the man was "reflecting on my mother's color and morals". Cobb also states in the book that he warned Highlanders manager Harry Wolverton that if something wasn't done about the man, there would be trouble. No action was taken. Finally, at the end of the sixth inning, and after being challenged by teammates Sam Crawford and Jim Delahanty to do something about it, Cobb climbed into the stands and attacked the handicapped Lueker, who due to an industrial accident had lost all of one hand and three fingers on his other hand. When onlookers shouted at Cobb to stop because the man had no hands, Cobb reportedly replied, "I don't care if he has no feet!"[42] The league suspended him, and his teammates, though not fond of Cobb, went on strike to protest the suspension, and to the lack of protection of players from abusive fans, prior to the May 18 game in Philadelphia.[43] For that one game, Detroit fielded a replacement team made up of college and sandlot ballplayers, plus two Detroit coaches, and lost, 24-2. Some of major league baseball's all-time negative records were established in this game, notably the 26 hits allowed by Allan Travers, who pitched the sport's most unlikely complete game.[44] The strike ended when Cobb urged his teammates to return to the field. According to Cobb, this incident led to the formation of a players' union, the "Ballplayers' Fraternity" (formally the Fraternity of Professional Baseball Players of America), an early version of what is now called the Major League Baseball Players Association, and garnered some concessions from the owners.[45]{[vc}}[46] During Cobb's career, he was involved in numerous fights, both on and off the field, and several profanity-laced shouting matches. For example, Cobb and umpire Billy Evans arranged to settle their in-game differences with a fistfight, to be conducted under the grandstand after the game. Members of both teams were spectators, and broke up the scuffle after Cobb had knocked Evans down, pinned him, and began choking him. Cobb once slapped a black elevator operator for being "uppity." When a black night watchman intervened, Cobb pulled out a knife and stabbed him (The matter was later settled out of court).[17]

"Sure, I fought," said an unrepentant Cobb in a revealing quote. "I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch

Cobb makes Barry look like a saint.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4773/Taylor-...oking-Help.html

http://media.cnnsi.com/football/nfl/news/1...loffame_voting/

I guess Ty Cobb got in before these criterion were taken into consideration.

What criterion? Cobb was a baseball player. :D:wacko:

And you still aren't comparing what Taylor did to what Rose did, are you?

And you still aren't comparing what Taylor did to what Rose did, are you?

My only argument is this:

If LT had been a baseball player and did the things he did off the baseball diamond, I do not believe he'd be in the HOF

If Pete Rose had been a football player and did the things he did off the field, I think he could still make the HOF.

My only argument is this:

If LT had been a baseball player and did the things he did off the baseball diamond, I do not believe he'd be in the HOF

If Pete Rose had been a football player and did the things he did off the field, I think he could still make the HOF.

Well, that's a dumb argument. Since neither player plays the other sport.

In addition, if you think Rose could be a football player and bet on Football games in the same manner he did in nasenall and still make the Football HOF, then I'd have to say you are coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

Sheik, most of your posts are pretty good, but you're completely off base here. If Rose were caught betting on the NFL while playing/coaching, he would've been tarred, feathered, and run out of the league. NO professional sports commissioner would tolerate betting scandals that violate the integrity of his league.

This is slightly more debatable, but the fact that Ty Cobb is in and Barry Bonds is a first-ballot lock suggests otherwise.

Sheik, most of your posts are pretty good, but you're completely off base here. If Rose were caught betting on the NFL while playing/coaching, he would've been tarred, feathered, and run out of the league. NO professional sports commissioner would tolerate betting scandals that violate the integrity of his league.

This is slightly more debatable, but the fact that Ty Cobb is in and Barry Bonds is a first-ballot lock suggests otherwise.

I don't know how I let myself get twisted around to the point where I said something I don't believe is true. I'm a little ashamed of myself, especially when I don't really care enough about the subject to get wrapped up in the conversation in the first place.

anybody know if this guy does anything for the community other than PR as set up by the NFL and his agent?

Randy Moss does a ton of charity work for special needs children. He's also done a lot of work for the Smile Network, a charity for kids, and played host to several tournements that raises money as well. He doesn't like to talk about it in the media.

Paul Hornung

Paul Hornung

His case doesn't resemble Rose's very much, nor the aftermath: Rose is still revealing details and betting on horses. Hornung spilled everything at the outset, took his suspension and never went to Vegas or a race track again. That's the difference in personalities right there. Rose is still providing excuses, Hornung never offered any.

Paul Hornung

All the more reason that the NFL would take a zero-tolerance stance towards employees gambling on football: they've already had problems with it.

Geez, NFL players are suspended indefinitely by getting DUIs and getting into fights at strip clubs these days. It's pretty silly to believe that Goodell would allow a player who disgraces the NFL's holiest of holies (the integrity of the league) into Canton.

• 5 months later...