[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Saban learning

theeohiostate

For God's sake get off Culpepper's back everyone, he's working himself back into football. Look at his past 2 games and he is getting better, and better yet no turnovers which has always been his trademark. How bout everyone give Daunte a few more weeks than 4 after coming back from major knee surgery?

Yea I know, everyone will say last season in minnesota bla bla bla, that was the past, different offense, new team. Tons of players have flukey bad years, go back to Drew Brees.

The O-line sucks, Ronnie Brown can't run because of the line, Chambers was hurt, Culpepper is still healing and the defense isn't dominate like it was. I mean give him a chance, atleast more than 4 weeks, geez.

It's easy for you to say-I see he isn't on your team :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is the part that I don't really understand. Culpepper hasn't done anything in Miami to earn that kind of blind loyalty. If he is consistenly not performing well over the course of a couple of seasons, then why defend him? It smacks of denial to me.

More like loyalty hater. Coming to Miami was considered a new start, new environment, new everything. C-Pep was brought in to be our QB of the future so I'm supposed to spit on him like everyone else because he's off to a slow start? This huddle crowd is the most fickle group I've ever come across and loves to hit a man when he's down.

Coming off serious knee surgery, I didn't expect him to get back to pro-bowl from from day 1 but this isn't what I expected either. I'm looking for improvement as the season goes on. As a Fish fan, our record is troublesome especially considering our schedule these first four games. I can only hope Saban has a strong 2nd half finish in him like last year.

More like loyalty hater. Coming to Miami was considered a new start, new environment, new everything. C-Pep was brought in to be our QB of the future so I'm supposed to spit on him like everyone else because he's off to a slow start? This huddle crowd is the most fickle group I've ever come across and loves to hit a man when he's down.

Coming off serious knee surgery, I didn't expect him to get back to pro-bowl from from day 1 but this isn't what I expected either. I'm looking for improvement as the season goes on. As a Fish fan, our record is troublesome especially considering our schedule these first four games. I can only hope Saban has a strong 2nd half finish in him like last year.

:D

Slow start? He was horrible last year and that trend is continuing this year. So how many games constitute a slow start vs a trend?

I've never been fickle in my assessment of CPep's skills.

I'll give you the fact that he's coming back from a major knee injury as to partially why he's struggling. The only reason I'll give you that is because it looks like Palmer may not be his old self as well.

That's the only thing I'll give you. I'm looking at Brees this year after a major throwing shoulder injury and look what he's doing with a new offense and team. If the reason why he has been bad is because he's hurt then why play him? If he's healthy enough to play then the fans have every right to expect him to perform. If fans want to get on him for pitching a tent in the pocket, turning the ball over consistently and helping the team lose, that's okay by me. I'd rather have that than fans that could care less.

For God's sake get off Culpepper's back everyone, he's working himself back into football. Look at his past 2 games and he is getting better, and better yet no turnovers which has always been his trademark. How bout everyone give Daunte a few more weeks than 4 after coming back from major knee surgery?

Yea I know, everyone will say last season in minnesota bla bla bla, that was the past, different offense, new team. Tons of players have flukey bad years, go back to Drew Brees.

The O-line sucks, Ronnie Brown can't run because of the line, Chambers was hurt, Culpepper is still healing and the defense isn't dominate like it was. I mean give him a chance, atleast more than 4 weeks, geez.

How were the Vikings doing before Culpepper got hurt last year? How did the Vikings do after Culpepper got hurt and mediocre Brad Johnson took the reins?

The simple fact is, injured or uninjured, Culpepper has not been an effective QB for teams that either were expected to be much better or proved they were much better than they are without Culpepper starting in the past 2 seasons.

It just may be that Culpepper can't get the job done, and that he needs to step aside for someone else to have a shot - in this case Harrington. MIA sure can't play much worse as a team than they have so far this year against a relatively easy schedule. There is no ignoring the fact that MIA has started the season playing against teams with a cumulative record of 4-11, and has only one win, barely beating a winless TEN team in Miami in week 3.

Edited by Bronco Billy

More like loyalty hater.

I don't hate your loyalty (in most cases I love a good homer - hell, I AM a good homer) but in this case I just don't understand your loyalty to Culpepper. Like I said, he is new to Miami and hasn't done anything to garner the kind of support that you are aggressively giving him here. Is it just the fact that he is now wearing a Dolphins uniform?

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you guys, I just really don't see the reasoning behind the Culpepper love. And this is coming from someone who was a big Culpepper fan here in Minnesota before he lost his confidence. But there is a clear line of demarkation between good Daunte and bad Daunte, and it is drawn at Week 1 of the 2005 regular season.

Yep, I knew everyone was going back to the Minnesota years, people can't live in the here and now and say let's give him a shot. The turnovers are gone the past 2 games; he still sucks are reading zones though.

Yep, I knew everyone was going back to the Minnesota years, people can't live in the here and now and say let's give him a shot. The turnovers are gone the past 2 games; he still sucks are reading zones though.

First of all, a 1-3 start for this year is almost a death sentence as far as the playoffs are concerned. So if you are willing to say, "Give Culpepper a chance" are you also willing to say, "I accept that we have virtually no shot at making the playoffs after the first quarter of the season is over"?

I also would like to know what it would take for you to call for Culpepper's benching. 1-3 vs 4-11 cumulative teams with only a narrow W at home against quite possibly the worst team in the league so far. What would make you want Culpepper benched? 0-4 in the next four games? Loses in the next 2 games? What is your level of tolerance for losing?

:D

We should simply ignore how horribly he played last year and what happened when Brad Johnson took over the exact same offense ... so that we could live in the "here and now" and give him a shot. Don't you mean you want us to bury our heads in the sand?

I hear there are a whole slew of players begging for your team to live in the "here and now" and give them a chance without considering past performance ... at the head of that line is Maurice Clarett.

I also would like to know what it would take for you to call for Culpepper's benching. 1-3 vs 4-11 cumulative teams with only a narrow W at home against quite possibly the worst team in the league so far. What would make you want Culpepper benched? 0-4 in the next four games? Loses in the next 2 games? What is your level of tolerance for losing?

Yes ... when does it change from a "slow start" to a trend of sucking.

Miami finished very strong last year and there were high expectations going into this year. The only component that appears to be different from last year is at QB. What would you guys give now to go back and start the season with Brees, Kitna or even Fiedler or Frerotte.

Perhaps I can express myself another way. MIA has the 7th best overall D in the NFL right now, giving up 276.3 ypg. Ronnie Brown is 7th among NFL RBs in total yards. So it would appear that MIA is well above average in both its D and in its RB. So why is it lagging so badly against less than stellar competition? You can blame the entire O-line, but the problem is that you can't replace the entire O-line. So you need a QB that can run the offense efficiently behind what is claimed to be a sub-par O-line.

Culpepper has functioned behind an outstanding O-line for years in MIN, whereas Harrington has had to run for his life in DET behind a mediocre at best O-line. Since we can see that the QB and/or the O-line pass protection is the issue right now with MIA, doesn't it make sense to at least try a QB switch, since regardless of whose fault it is, MIA isn't running properly with Culpepper at QB while the other components of the team seem to be functioning well above average?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Yes ... when does it change from a "slow start" to a trend of sucking.

Miami finished very strong last year and there were high expectations going into this year. The only component that appears to be different from last year is at QB. What would you guys give now to go back and start the season with Brees, Kitna or even Fiedler or Frerotte.

Brees sure (right now), Kitna no thanks but c'mon don't get rediculous with Fiedler or Frerotte. And I also read how someone compared his play to Palmer. You can't do that because in my opinion Palmer is already a top 3 QB plus he has a rock solid OL, solid running game w/ Rudi and arguably the best WR core.

Maybe expectations were too high, maybe C-Pep is finished or maybe it's just too darn early to be having this discussion? Again, C-Pep was brought in to be the new franchise QB who we paid and gave up a 2nd round pick for. He is our QB for the long term so you give him a chance knowing he's coming off major knee surgery. I mean you guys are ready to cut him after 4 games! I give him at least 8 games. Besides, what the hell has Joey Harrington EVER done?

Also, don't forget the Fish play in the AFC East. The Jets are playing well but over acheiving and still they are 2-2 along with the Bills who I can't see finishing better than 7-9 or 8-8. It's not like we're out of it, it's only October!

Culpepper has functioned behind an outstanding O-line for years in MIN, whereas Harrington has had to run for his life in DET behind a mediocre at best O-line. Since we can see that the QB and/or the O-line pass protection is the issue right now with MIA, doesn't it make sense to at least try a QB switch, since regardless of whose fault it is, MIA isn't running properly with Culpepper at QB while the other components of the team seem to be functioning well above average?

I can't say the MIA D is functioning well above average because they haven't been tested yet. They have played against the Steelers, Bills, Titans and Texans....all struggling offenses. Their running game is also below average although Mularky hasn't committed to it so I don't see your logic here. If you throw in Harrington, I say try it after 8 games if they are still struggling. Way too early.

Brees sure (right now), Kitna no thanks but c'mon don't get rediculous with Fiedler or Frerotte. And I also read how someone compared his play to Palmer. You can't do that because in my opinion Palmer is already a top 3 QB plus he has a rock solid OL, solid running game w/ Rudi and arguably the best WR core.

Maybe expectations were too high, maybe C-Pep is finished or maybe it's just too darn early to be having this discussion? Again, C-Pep was brought in to be the new franchise QB who we paid and gave up a 2nd round pick for. He is our QB for the long term so you give him a chance knowing he's coming off major knee surgery. I mean you guys are ready to cut him after 4 games! I give him at least 8 games. Besides, what the hell has Joey Harrington EVER done?

Also, don't forget the Fish play in the AFC East. The Jets are playing well but over acheiving and still they are 2-2 along with the Bills who I can't see finishing better than 7-9 or 8-8. It's not like we're out of it, it's only October!

If Cpep remains your starting QB then you are indeed out of it! No one is saying cut him right now. I would like to see how that offense runs differently with Harrington at the helm. If only to find out if the problem is the scheme, the o-line, or the QB (which is what everyone is saying).

Regarding Palmer. Perhaps you should actually read the post before commenting on it! :D

Whoa! Grab a dose of reality, my friend. In case you didn't notice, MIA just got beaten by a HOU team that was previously winless and giving up points in huge gobs this year, and beat an incredibly poor TEN team in MIA by a margin of exactly a FG. Right now, MIA clearly isn't playing anywhere near the level of the Jets or Bills, as much as you don't want to hear that.

Check the number of teams that started 1-3 for the season and finished in the playoffs. Let me help you with that. In the approximately 40 year history of the Dolphins, they have never been to the playoffs after starting less than 2-2 in their first 4 games, and when they started 2-2 they only made the playoffs twice - in '97 & '78.

Does that alter you opinion any?

Don't get ridiculous with Fiedler or Frerotte? They were more successful running the same team at the end of last season weren't they?

IMO trading for CPep after his horrible year and devastating injury so that he could be your "new franchise QB for the long term" was a huge mistake. Maybe even worse than trading for Feely so that Feely could be your franchise QB. I would have told you this BEFORE the trade BTW so my stance on CPep has never altered. You ask me why I'm ready to cut him after 4 games ... well I would have never signed him in the first place. So if he is done, as I believe, how many games do you let your team languish behind ineffectiveness before you DO bench/cut him? Do you give him this year to learn the offense and recover from his surgery PLUS 4 more games next year to get back into full swing? That woud mean that you will have written off two full seasons in order to develop your franchise QB of the future, who BTW is NOT a rookie but a veteran.

And you are truely blinded if you don't believe that Kitna would be a far cry better than CPep. With Kitna at the helm I believe Miami beats Houston and possibly the Bills.

Guest Mutine Bullfrog

Takes 2 years to come back from this injury. Check the stats on any player coming of a serious knee injury. Fantasy Football 101

Joey Harrington-QB-Dolphins Oct. 6 - 1:27 pm et

Joey Harrington may start for the Dolphins in Week 5.

Culpepper is less than 100% because of a sore shoulder, but he practiced Friday. Perhaps Nick Saban is just throwing Bill Belichick a curveball or perhaps Culpepper needs to be let down gently. Either way, Joey Harrington starting is not a good thing for Miami's offense. We'd only consider him in fantasy leagues that start 2 QBs.

Daunte Culpepper-QB-Dolphins Oct. 6 - 1:24 pm et

Daunte Culpepper may not start against the Patriots Sunday, reportedly because of his sore shoulder.

Coach Nick Saban said he hasn't decided whether to start Joey Harrington or Culpepper, but insists it's strictly medically related. "This is not an issue relative to results or anything that has happened in games," said Saban "It's a physical, medical, ability issue. Can the guy do what he needs to do to be successful?" The answer has been no going on four weeks.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Whoa! Grab a dose of reality, my friend. In case you didn't notice, MIA just got beaten by a HOU team that was previously winless and giving up points in huge gobs this year, and beat an incredibly poor TEN team in MIA by a margin of exactly a FG. Right now, MIA clearly isn't playing anywhere near the level of the Jets or Bills, as much as you don't want to hear that.

Check the number of teams that started 1-3 for the season and finished in the playoffs. Let me help you with that. In the approximately 40 year history of the Dolphins, they have never been to the playoffs after starting less than 2-2 in their first 4 games, and when they started 2-2 they only made the playoffs twice - in '97 & '78.

Does that alter you opinion any?

Why would 40 years of past history alter my opinion? Sure 1-3 is a tough hole to dig out of but it's a 16 game season. New Coach, new QB, new almost everything. The past is the past and the present is now. Like you said RIGHT NOW Miami isn't playing near the level of the Jets and Bills. That doesn't mean this division still isn't weak. The Fish and yeah C-Pep have to get it going and play up to their potential. A lot of football still remains.

Joey Harrington may start for the Dolphins in Week 5.

Culpepper is less than 100% because of a sore shoulder, but he practiced Friday. Perhaps Nick Saban is just throwing Bill Belichick a curveball or perhaps Culpepper needs to be let down gently. Either way, Joey Harrington starting is not a good thing for Miami's offense. We'd only consider him in fantasy leagues that start 2 QBs.

Rotoworld

Why would 40 years of past history alter my opinion? Sure 1-3 is a tough hole to dig out of but it's a 16 game season. New Coach, new QB, new almost everything. The past is the past and the present is now. Like you said RIGHT NOW Miami isn't playing near the level of the Jets and Bills. That doesn't mean this division still isn't weak. The Fish and yeah C-Pep have to get it going and play up to their potential. A lot of football still remains.

New coach? Wasn't he a "new coach" last year? Clearly Culpepper is a new QB to Miami but he is a veteran. Now ... what else is "new"?

You seem full of confidence. I'll bet you 2008 dues that Miami doesn't sniff the playoffs this year.

New coach? Wasn't he a "new coach" last year? Clearly Culpepper is a new QB to Miami but he is a veteran. Now ... what else is "new"?

You seem full of confidence. I'll bet you 2008 dues that Miami doesn't sniff the playoffs this year.

Okay how about relatively new since you're hanging on my every word? Why the hell would I make that bet after a 1-3 start? I hope they make the playoffs at this point but don't need to lose money if they don't. Calm down you're getting way ahead of yourself.