[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lets talk about Tight Ends

peepinmofo

No wierd talk goin on here, so those of you that came here for that, please move on...

How come the TE position was so dominant last year, and this year, it appears to have dropped off significantly. I think Gonzo has had the biggest game for a TE, and that was week one. Did defenses just plan for TEs better this year, are the QBs not getting it done, or is it just the TEs are blocking more?

No wierd talk goin on here, so those of you that came here for that, please move on...

How come the TE position was so dominant last year, and this year, it appears to have dropped off significantly. I think Gonzo has had the biggest game for a TE, and that was week one. Did defenses just plan for TEs better this year, are the QBs not getting it done, or is it just the TEs are blocking more?

Gates ... new rookie QB ... my guess is he is in max-protect mode

Gonzo ... aging, new HC AND now in max-protect mode with Huard in

Shockey ... NYG have a very brutal schedule

Winslow and Heap are having very fine seasons.

How about Wiggins? Last year he had what, 70 catches? Then again, Desmond Clark is coming on nicely. I guess it seems to be those from last year that are faltering a tad, but then again, its week 4!

Isn't Wiggins hurt? In addition Minnesota had no running game last year and they have one this year.

Desmond Clark plays for a team with no running game this year. A short pass to the TE is like a run.

Edited by Grits and Shins

How about Wiggins? Last year he had what, 70 catches? Then again, Desmond Clark is coming on nicely. I guess it seems to be those from last year that are faltering a tad, but then again, its week 4!

Isn't Wiggins hurt? In addition Minnesota had no running game last year and they have one this year.

Desmond Clark plays for a team with no running game this year. A short pass to the TE is like a run.

Wiggins has a slight hamstring injury but that's not what has kept him from being productive so far. This is strictly a coaching issue in Minnesota. Childress did not like the fact that Wiggins was seen as the receiving TE and Kleinsasser was seen as the blocking TE, even though that is clearly what their strengths are. So, Childress has been keeping Kleinsasser in more sets that call for the TE to release, where in the past Wiggins would have been the obvious TE in those formations.

I don't know if this will change anytime soon. It's quirte frustrating (even just from a fan's perspective - I don't own Wiggins on any of my FF teams).

i don't have any numbers to back this up but the latest trend seems to be moving towards playing multiple TEs OR cutting back on their involvement in the passing game to pass block.

it's a copycat league and i doubt teams haven't noticed NE's success with using 2-4 TEs on the field at one time. some other teams are doing this but not to NE's extreme.

DEs have gotten much quicker and more athletic imo which has demanded a double team with a TE and T. Also, the TE as a blocker 1-on-1 with the more athletic DE's or blitzing 3-4 OLBs often proves to be more effective than just your average, lumbering OT.

just an observation...

And before this year exactly how many NFL games had he started? How many NFL games had he started and played to the conclusion? It may not be his rookie year ... but he is a rookie with some NFL practices under his belt

A rookie is a player in his first year in the NFL. Practice, game, or otherwise.

First-year starter, sure.

And before this year exactly how many NFL games had he started? How many NFL games had he started and played to the conclusion? It may not be his rookie year ... but he is a rookie with some NFL practices under his belt

I await Aaron Rodgers' rookie year with bated breath.

Colston at TE/WR in my leauge has been huge,but I know some of you do not count him as TE.Do you forsee the remaining sites that have him as both changing it?

They should have already; not doing so is an egregious oversight, IMO.

might have somethin to do with Huard and Rivers as it relates to KC and SD. Marty ain't letting Rivers chuck the rock like Brees was doing and it will take some time before he does IMO.

And Des Clark leads the league in yards per game. Gates will improve.

And Des Clark leads the league in yards per game. Gates will improve.

Mrs. PD has a very tight rea....oh sorry, got side tracked :D , but with C-Pep finally, mercifully, most likely going to the pine and Chambers dinged up, perhaps McMichael will finally step up and Joey will chuck it to him some more :D